Join our zoo community

Zoo Exhibits in 2021

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MonkeyBat, 10 Jan 2021.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Hello all, I started a thread like this last year talking about new exhibits coming in 2020, of course we all know that a certain global event happened and many of these exhibits go cancelled or rescheduled. Here's a new thread to discuss new exhibits opening in 2021. Here's some I found from a quick search online

Sunset Zoo - Expedition Asia - tigers, leopards, sloth bears
    Oregon Zoo - Polar Passage - polar bears
    Oregon Zoo - Primate Forest - chimpanzees (not sure if it has opened yet?)
    Oregon Zoo - Rhino Ridge - black rhinos I believe?
    Akron Zoo - Wild Asia - red pandas, tigers, gibbons
    St. Louis Zoo - Primate Canopy Trails - (according to webpage) black lemurs, black and white ruffed lemur, Coquerel's sifaka, mongoose lemur, ring-tailed lemur, cottontop tamarin, callimico, golden lion tamarin, black handed spider monkey, white faced saki, Allen's swamp monkey, Guezara colobus, Francois langur, spectacled langur
    San Diego Zoo - Sanford's Children Zoo? - squirrel monkey, coati, cavy, pangolin, armadillo, dwarf caiman, naked mole rat, honeybee, hummingbirds, prairie dog, burrowing owl, fennec fox, giant salamanders, sloths, multiple types of birds, reptiles, and amphibians (not sure the entire species list, going off rendering plans and their website.)
    Fort Worth Zoo - Elephant Springs - Asian elephants, Indian rhinos

2. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Santa Barbara Zoo - Down Under exhibit - Emus, wallabies, kangaroos, Australian birds
    Living Desert - Rhino exhibit - Black Rhinos (breeding pair), springbok, waterbok, klipspringer, pelicans, vultures.

MonkeyBat and StoppableSan like this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this just for the US?

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Supposedly Phase 3 of Adventure Africa at Milwaukee is supposed to open this year, but given that Phase 2 was delayed to last year who knows.

savetherhino and MonkeyBat like this.
  5. German Zoo World

German Zoo World Well-Known Member

Terra australis at Wilhelma Zoo will Feature Koalas and tree kangaroos

MonkeyBat likes this.
  6. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Regarding the San Diego Zoo’s Denny Sanford’s Children Zoo is set to open this year without it indicating otherwise and when I had visited in November, it appeared that some of the main infrastructure was already set in so far. At least the parts visible from outside the fencing haha

MonkeyBat and Westcoastperson like this.
  7. Julio C Castro

Just announced on Twitter, Zoo Miami is debuting the Conservation Action Center. It appears to be highly interactive for children or young audiences, with murals of different biomes wrapped around the building. It touched upon the invasive species with Florida, global environmental issues, and as well terrarium styled exhibits without it showing in detail what species.

Here’s the link on Twitter https://twitter.com/zoomiami/status/1349398032081690625?s=21

And the YouTube video in the Twitter posting

8. Girafarig

Girafarig Well-Known Member

Has there been any construction updates on the San Diego children’s zoo? I haven’t been up to date on it’s construction.

9. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks interesting. Seems more like a museum attraction than something I'd expect from a zoo, but seems like a valuable use of space/funds.

10. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Pepper Family Wildlife Center opens at the Lincoln Park Zoo in the fall. Its a $40 million dollar renovation to the historic Kovler lion house. Formally home to over a dozen cat species, the building is being completely gutted on the inside and it will become a home just for lions. It will feature two outdoor habitats with some sort of new visitor center being built in between them. Its still a bit unclear what will happen to the buildings interior. Check out the press release below for more info.

Cats Out of the Bag: Lion House Design Announced - Lincoln Park Zoo

Adventure Africa phase 3 definitely is not opening this year. Construction likely won't even start until the end of this year, so at the earliest it won't be until 2023 when that will open.

11. Julio C Castro

None other than they may want to open up the Komodo dragon exhibit and the hummingbird aviary first, all situated in the front entrance of the upcoming children’s zoo.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  12. Girafarig

Hopefully it looks better then the old children’s zoo. That was one of the worst areas of the zoo. I still think the corn crib line is a little worse though.

13. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So have tigers left the zoo?

14. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Yep. I know one went to Smithsonian’s National zoo a few years ago.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  15. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I believe that primate forest is open, or at least is finished and ready to open, same think for elephant springs (I think).

MonkeyBat likes this.
  16. Julio C Castro

The zoo has been revamping their needed areas and the Children’s Zoo was in dire need. The next area is Asian Passage for sure and I do actually like the Sun Bear Forest exhibit yet that may not be fruitful for the future due to the Sun Bear SSP, perhaps repurposed for another bear species!

17. Girafarig

Sun bear forest is a nice exhibit but the pits and the corn cribs are in dire need as well. Urban jungle needs a revamp too.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  18. Julio C Castro

Yes to all of that, 100% agreed and it will be on top of their game soon enough hopefully.

19. Girafarig

Hopefully.. This is a world class zoo so they should work on it. By the way, did they revamp the hummingbird aviary?

20. Julio C Castro

That should be debuting prior to the opening of the children’s zoo, I hope it’s very photogenic haha