Join our zoo community

La Aurora Zoo Zoo La Aurora: Species List

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by Carlos M, 19 Sep 2020.

1. Carlos M

Carlos M Well-Known Member

Now with the second aviary. While the aquatic aviary consists of a group of ponds for the birds to swim, this one doesn’t. This exhibit is a giant cage where the following birds are free to fly around (the birds in the aquatic one are not allowed to fly):

Exhibit 60:
    144 - Franklin's Gull - Larus pipixcan
    145 - Purple Gallinule - Porphyrio martinicus
    146 - Great White Egret - Ardea alba
    147 - Green-backed Heron - Butorides striata
    148 - Black-crowned Night-heron - Nycticorax nycticorax
    149 - Great Blue Heron - Ardea herodias
    150 - Northern Mealy Amazon - Amazona guatemalae
    151 - Red-lored Amazon - Amazona autumnalis
    152 - Amazona albifrons - Amazona albifrons
    153 - Variegated Squirrel - Sciurus variegatoides

Usually, there are other bird species kept in this exhibit, but most of the time, they are in the next and final aviary: the walkthrough aviary.

2. Carlos M

And finally, the last aviary of the zoo: the walkthrough aviary. There, the birds are allowed to fly around, and a small river is available for some ducks when they aren’t in the aquatic aviary. However, only some species are free to walk and fly around the whole exhibit: there are some species which are kept in individual exhibits here. And this is where the list gets a little confusing, since the signals outside the exhibit are quite outdated and don't count all the species kept, or still list others that aren’t around anymore. But anyways, these are species:

Exhibit 61:
    154 - Yellow-bellied Slider Turtle - Trachemys scripta
    155 - White-bellied Chachalaca - Ortalis leucogastra
    156 - Highland Guan - Penelopina nigra
    157 - Crested Guan - Penelope purpurascens
    158 - Great Curassow - Crax rubra
    159 - Silver Pheasant - Lophura nycthemera
    160 - Golden Pheasant - Chrysolophus pictus
    161 - Common Pheasant - Phasianus colchicus
    162 - Common Quail - Coturnix coturnix
    163 - Baikal Teal - Sibirionetta formosa
    164 - Northern Pintail - Anas acuta
    165 - Mandarin Duck - Aix galericulata
    166 - Wood Duck - Aix sponsa
    167 - Scarlet Ibis - Eudocimus ruber
    168 - Collared Araçari - Pteroglossus torquatus
    169 - Emerald Toucanet - Aulacorhynchus prasinus

170 - Motmot - Momotus sp. - I don’t know which species of Momotus is kept, since the signal says Momotus momota, but I believe it is one of the other species split from it.

171 - Eastern Rosella - Platycercus eximius
    172 - Crimson Rosella - Platycercus elegans

173 - Eclectus - Eclectus sp. - I don’t know which species of Eclectus is kept, since it got split into multiple species.

174 - Rose-ringed Parakeet - Alexandrinus krameri
    175 - Orange-fronted Parakeet - Eupsittula canicularis
    176 - Green Parakeet - Psittacara holochlorus
    177 - Orange-chinned Parakeet - Brotogeris jugularis
    178 - Australian King-parrot - Alisterus scapularis
    179 - Scarlet-fronted Parakeet - Psittacara wagleri
    180 - Grey Parrot - Psittacus erithacus
    181 - Yellow-headed Amazon - Amazona oratrix
    182 - Yellow-naped Amazon - Amazona auropalliata
    183 - Rose-breasted Grosbeak - Pheucticus ludovicianus
    184 - White-throated Magpie-jay - Cyanocorax formosus

185 - Schalow's Turaco - Tauraco schalowi - I’m not sure if this is the correct species of Turaco that is kept at the aviary. Since it’s not listed in the signals outside the exhibit, I’m not entirely sure. However, I have some photos and I believe it’s this species.

And those were all the aviaries. Now, only a group of species is left to be mentioned.

3. Carlos M

After the aviaries, there are still the last exhibits of the zoo:

Exhibit 62:
    186 - African Wild Dog - Lycaon pictus

Exhibit 63:
    187 - Scarlet Macaw - Ara macao
    188 - Great Green Macaw - Ara ambiguus
    189 - Military Macaw - Ara militaris
    190 - Blue-and-yellow Macaw - Ara ararauna - I doubt that this species is kept, since in all my visits, I don’t remember ever seeing it. However, the zoo has uploaded some pictures of a blue-and-yellow macaw, so I’ll list it.
    191 - Keel-billed Toucan - Ramphastos sulfuratus

Exhibit 64:
    192 - Sugar Glider - Petaurus breviceps - I have never seen it, but its exhibit exists so, I'll list it.

Exhibit 65:
    193 - Humboldt Penguin - Spheniscus humboldti

And that's it. That’s all the species. However, between my last posts some months ago and this update, a new species was added to the collection. Now, red-necked wallabies share their exhibit with:

194 - Red Kangaroo - Osphranter rufus

And now, those were all the species kept at the zoo.

WhistlingKite24 and Rayane like this.
  4. Carlos M

As you can see, no amphibians nor invertebrates are represented. And a lot of endangered native animals don’t either have a representation in the zoo. I believe this is mostly due to how the institution is managed. As far as I know, all their species native to the country are individuals rescued from the pet trade, or from the illegal animal trafficking. So a lot of them can’t be released back into the wild. So, mostly because the zoo is a home to rescued native animals, there isn't a lot of space for truly endangered native animals.

There are still some native animals threatened native to the country, and the contribution of the zoo with those species is appreciated:

Northern giant musk turtle (Staurotypus triporcatus) - Classified as NT
    Neotropical otter (Lontra longicaudis) - Classified as NT
    Margay (Leopardus wiedii) - Classified as NT
    Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Classified as NT
    Northern Mealy Amazon (Amazona guatemalae) - Classified as NT

Central american snapping turtle (Chelydra rossignonii) - Classified as VU
    Yellow-blotched palm pit viper (Bothriechis aurifer) - Classified as VU
    American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) - Classified as VU
    White-lipped peccary (Tayassu pecari) - Classified as VU
    Highland Guan (Penelopina nigra) - Classified as VU
    Great Curassow (Crax rubra) - Classified as VU
    Orange-fronted Parakeet (Eupsittula canicularis) - Classified as VU

Central American Tapir - (Tapirus bairdii) - Classified as EN
    Northern Central American spider monkey - (Ateles geoffroyi vellerosus) - Classified as EN
    Yellow-headed Amazon (Amazona oratrix) - Classified as EN
    Yellow-naped Amazon (Amazona auropalliata) - Classified as EN

Central american river turtle (Dermatemys mawii) - Classified as CR
    Guatemalan beaded lizard (Heloderma charlesbogerti) - Treated as part of Heloderma horridum, but if treated as a species on its own right, it would probably be classified as CR.

5. Carlos M

Since the pandemic started on March 2020, I hadn't been to the zoo until last April, when I could see that some things have changed. New species have been added to the collection since then, and here are the ones I can remember:

194 - Rhesus Macaque - Macaca mulatta. Its exhibit is next to the Japanese Macaques, and together with the Olive Baboons, the whole complex has received a redesigned.

195 - Nine-Banded Armadillo - Dasypus novemcinctus. It ocuppies the exhibit previously inhabited by the opossums.

196 - Honduran milk snake - Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis. Some albino snakes has been added to the reptile house.

197 - Guatemalan milk snake - Lampropeltis triangulum abnorma. Added to the reptile house.

198 - California kingsnake - Lampropeltis californiae. Added to the reptile house.

199 - Bocourt's arboreal alligator lizard - Abronia vasconcelosii. Added to the reptile house.

200 - Mexican cantil - Agkistrodon bilineatus. Added to the reptile house.

201 - Mexican kingsnake - Lampropeltis mexicana. Added to the reptile house.

202 - Emperor tamarin - Saguinus imperator. Its exhibit is located next to the Cotton-top tamarins.

203 - Guatemalan black howler monkey - Alouatta pigra. The exhibit is located inside the recently redesigned aquatic aviary.

204 - Black-and-white ruffed lemur - Varecia variegata. The exhibit is ocated inside the recently redesigned aquatic aviary.

205 - South American sea lion - Otaria flavescens. The exhibit is located next to the Humboldt Penguins.

twilighter and WhistlingKite24 like this.