Join our zoo community

Zoo Negara Zoo Negara review - 10th April 2015

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by ZooGirl101, 19 Apr 2015.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

In addition to the macaques, the zoo's primate collection (in early 2016) also featured Chimpanzee, Bornean & Sumatran Orangutan, White-handed Gibbon, Black & White Ruffed Lemur and Greater Slow Loris. Overall though, surprisingly low 'monkey' diversity.

2. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I noticed a common marmoset on the zoo's website - but there wasn't anything much more about monkeys

3. Javin 98

Javin 98 Member

Hey, folks, I haven't been on here for years but my account surprisingly still works :p

Anyways, just wanted to chime in because I just came back from a trip to Zoo Negara. Most things remain the same since Chlidonias's last visit five years ago and Zoogirl's visit detailed here, but a few notable improvements/changes since then
    1. The common marmosets now have a small island surrounded by water in the Butterfly Garden
    2. The leopards and black panthers have been relocated from their previous cages. They now are displayed in glass fronted exhibits opposite of the Big Cats enclosures
    3. Cheetahs have now taken up the leopards' old cages. I was very pleasantly surprised because I was not informed Zoo Negara had acquired cheetahs!
    4. The old, bad elephant enclosures are now taken up by a giraffe and two tapirs, separated, of course with a flock of storks invading
    5. The raccoons are now in a glass fronted exhibit in the Children's Zoo
    6. The entire Reptile House is being renovated at the moment. Saw a new building being constructed and very large outdoor enclosures with chest high glass fences in front, so I assume the latter is for the crocodylians
    7. False gharials are now being displayed next to the hippo exhibit
    8. Pumas/Cougars are now on display in the Mammal Kingdom instead

Notable absentees
    1. The Savannah Walk completely lacks antelopes now for some reason. Only giraffes, ostriches and zebras were on display
    2. The brown bears were off exhibit for medical attention. Really bummed me out, this one :/
    3. Otters seemed completely absent although I saw three exhibits for them

Also, Chlidonias, I think you'll be pleased to know the baby hippo you spotted five years ago is now a young adult. Saw it adorably cuddling up to a larger hippo ;)

I took a bunch of pictures, can share them later if I have time to spare

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  4. Grant Rhino

Gosh you must've been on the same day as me! I visited on December 11th.

I wish I had gone into the Butterfly Garden - as I love common marmosets! I wish I had gone and seen them!

The leopard enclosure was nice and I got a few really nice photos of a leopard.

I was glad to see Bonnet Macaques too.

All in all I thought it was a great zoo - especially compared to most zoos in Asia. My partner and my 2 children all loved it too. We had a wonderful day there!

The highlight for us were the giant pandas - including the baby panda. We didn't have all that much time so we didn't see everything (I'm still miffed about missing the butterfly garden now though) - but all in all it was a very enjoyable day and a great zoo!

Next time I'm in Kuala Lumpur I will certainly visit again :)

5. Javin 98

Javin 98 Member

Nah, I actually went yesterday, the 13th, pretty close, though! There were also some common marmosets in the Children's World, but those appeared to be in nasty cages. I'm not entirely sure because they were a bit far from the path. The marmosets in the Butterfly Garden were adorable, though. They had a nice tree to climb on in their small island enclosure. The panda enclosures were perhaps one of the best in the zoo by default due to China's strict regulations in panda exhibits, but the animals themselves didn't really wow me too much. Seen pandas twice before this, in Chengdu Zoo in China and Ueno Zoo in Japan. The real highlights for me this visit was probably the cheetahs. Mediocre exhibits, but it was my first time seeing cheetahs

Grant Rhino likes this.
  6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will visit this zoo in February hopefully. Any highlight and advice?

Grant Rhino likes this.
  7. Javin 98

Javin 98 Member

Depends on what animals you love seeing. If you're a monkey lover, you're out of luck because the zoo only has a few species. The zoo primarily focuses on animals in the Southeast Asian region. When I was there, the entire Reptile House was under construction but it looked like good progress has been made, so it's possible it will re-open in February. I, for one, definitely would love to see the new reptile section. Was actually quite disappointed it was under constructed when I went yesterday. Most of the exhibits look great, particularly Savannah Walk, Ape Centre, Mammal Kingdom and Bear Complex. The Big Cats and elephant enclosures look good too. As for the weather, February will be a very hot and dry season in Malaysia usually.

Grant Rhino and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Grant Rhino

I think the highlights were the giant panda exhibit, the savannah walk, the big cats, the bear complex, the ape centre and the new glassed fronted leopard enclosures. The animals had a lot of room and it's quite a pretty zoo. It's also nice that you can get pretty close to the animals too.

9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On page 33 of the following report you'll find an animal inventory for last year.
    http://www.zoonegaramalaysia.my/annualreports/AR2017.pdf

I visited early this year and they also had Re-legged pademelon which aren't on the list but were a first for me.

On the whole the zoo is ok, the primate cages and hippo pool are criminal but most of the rest is acceptable. I can't think of anything that could be considered outstanding, even the apes that have relatively modern and quite attractive enclosures, have little to climb on as the trees in the enclosures are hotwired. Same goes for Binturong. The hyenas and pumas have bizarre little enclosures.

Birds do ok in this zoo, some quite large and attractive aviaries and lots are free flying. one of the biggest highlights of this zoo are the wild monkeys, macaques and langurs that crash around in the trees in the zoo.

Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Those are the Dusky Pademelons. They have always been mislabelled on the signage like that, I think even since my first visit over a decade ago.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

BTW: Curiously, they are correctly inscribed in the Annual Report though.

12. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have to say they looked a lot redder than Dusky Pademelons I've seen in Europe but perhaps that was due to the soil in their enclosure.

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Just checking the Zoochat gallery and there are photos dating from 2010 up to now of the Dusky Pademelons labelled as being Red-legged Pademelons.