Join our zoo community

Lindsay Wildlife Experience Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 29 Aug 2016.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Has anyone visited this facility? It opened in 1955 and more than 60 years later the establishment is welcoming 100,000 visitors each year. It is located in Walnut Creek, near San Francisco, and underwent a name change a year ago to become the Lindsay Wildlife Experience. There are more than 40 animals, including a number of raptors, and even a few that aren't commonly found in many American zoos. That would include: Acorn Woodpecker, American Kestrel, Botta's Pocket Gopher, Greater Roadrunner and Mexican Free-Tailed Bat.

https://lindsaywildlife.org/

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have been there, but not for about 20 years. It is a combination wildlife rescue facility and natural history museum. Most of the animals on exhibit are non-releasable wildlife that were treated at the hospital facility. The current facility was opened in 1994 I think, which is when I visited it.

The natural history area had some reptile and invertebrate displays and a tank of baby sturgeon as I recall (probably long gone as they are not on the website). It had space for temporary exhibits and some diorama exhibits of natural habitats of the Bay Area.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2016