Join our zoo community

Zoo Predictions

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by drill, 29 Sep 2019.

1. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Predict what will happen (good and bad) in 20 years to collections in a country. My prediction: Hamerton will get Fat-tailed dunnarts and Perentie.

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I reckon many zoos will become more commercial with larger enclosures for ABC animals, while the numbers of species will continue to fall. This may be good for first time visitors to a zoo, but when they visit a second zoo, they may see many of the same species again.

Neil chace and bongorob like this.
  3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Seneca Park Zoo will get orangutans, lemurs, and gorillas when their new Tropical complex opens and a new tiger enclosure down the road, and they'll probably eventually phase out of elephants and polar bears since the enclosures for both of those species are small and there's little room for expansion and renovation.

4. drill

drill Well-Known Member

That doesn't appear to be happening in places like the Czech Republic and Texas.

Dassie rat likes this.
  5. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Alaska Zoo will add Amur Leopards.

6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoos in the Czech Republic are moving in the opposite direction to many zoos elsewhere in Europe, which have greatly reduced the number of species kept.

7. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

I think that in the world which starts to value a diversity - also in brands (and at the moment I'm looking at zoos as brands which have their own strategies) it could go in a little bit opposite direction. I think that the way to survive for many zoos may be to distinguish themselves. I even wonder if in the future a word "zoo" will be such popular like nowadays. Maybe there won't be "Name of the city + ZOO" but evolution of "World of adventures" (like Gelsenkirchen has now) or "safaris" (like Safari Park Dvur Kralove) and others. Also themed parks - like "zoo of small animals" (like Aue) or "zoos of fantastic species" or "zoo for travellers". I believe that with a good strategy these places have a great chance and potential to exist.

I understand that most people want to see ABC species however I think that many also want to just go to a animal park to rest (to have a contact with nature and varied, big, small, cute, dangerous animals) or to experience the adventures in the Yukon Bay, African Safari and Indian Temple and sometimes to see/experience something different.

8. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pandas will return to San Diego

9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New Zealand

All four of New Zealand's major zoos will hold Capybara within the next five years.

Hamilton Zoo has spent the last 10 years talking about getting lions; they will spend the next 10 years talking about getting lions.

Auckland Zoo will not import a second elephant from Sri Lanka as originally planned; nor will Anjali ever breed. However, they will receive Perth Zoo's younger female upon the death of their elderly female, Tricia.

Orana Wildlife Park's bachelor group of gorillas will leave for the new Sydney Zoo within the year; the new breeding group will consist of 1.2 gorillas and be ultimately successful.

Auckland Zoo have stated Common hippopotamus may return to the zoo in the future. This will never happen (nor was it ever considered).

Wellington Zoo will build a walk through lemur exhibit; likely on the spot of the baboon exhibit, now vacant after they euthanised their remaining baboons.

Wellington Zoo have spent the last 10 years talking about getting Snow leopards; this will never happen. They will talk about it for another 5-10 years, before giving up and deciding to support the breeding programme for Sri Lankan leopards, which will be established in the region by then.

Wellington Zoo will phase out their Malayan sun bear; as the region also gives up on this species.

Auckland Zoo will import a breeding pair of Sumatran orangutans within the next five years. One will be from the Perth Zoo.

Hamilton Zoo will import a female African wild dog from Orana Wildlife Park and finally be successful in breeding this species after a decade of failure.

Orana Wildlife Park will become home to the largest population of Southern white rhinoceros in the country; they will initially have success in breeding but in 10 years several will die from an unidentified virus.

There will be imports of female chimpanzees to Wellington Zoo within the next 10 years. Their next infants will come from Sally (1985) and Keza (1998). Jessie (1978) and Marty (1987) will not live more than 10 years. Alexis will remain as the alpha male for five years; before being displaced by Bakari around 2024.

Hamilton Zoo will hold a breeding herd of giraffe, following the passing of their bachelor bulls.

Auckland Zoo will receive a new male giraffe. He will sire a non surviving calf to Rukiya; and several surviving calves to Kiraka. Kabili will never produce any calves.

Wellington Zoo and Orana Wildlife Park will both be successful in breeding giraffe calves in the next five years.

Wellington Zoo will euthanise Djane and Zhara on the same day within the next three years.

Wellington Zoo's male lions will not return from their stay at Auckland Zoo as planned; they will live out their days there, ahead of new imports arriving.

Wellington Zoo will not be successful in breeding their Sumatran tigers, Bashi and Senja.

Jambo and Tafin like this.
  10. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Omaha zoo will get pangolins in the Kingdoms of the Night (Infact, many more USA zoos will have more pangolins)

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some of these have already become partly come true! :) Interesting to see if these pan out the way you think.

Jungle Man and Zoofan15 like this.
  12. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Which of them have come true?

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To date, almost all of them are on track. Wellington Zoo still haven’t bred Senja and Bashii; but Wellington and Orana both have bull giraffes and should be breeding soon. I didn’t predict Auckland Zoo would be getting a new bull so soon, but it’s exciting they have!

Many of these I admit are obvious/predictable. Djane and Zhara are elderly lionesses and it is common for zoos to euthanise the last animal left in a social group (if it is elderly) on welfare grounds.

I’ve also called out a couple of what I predict to be PR claims - re. Auckland Zoo getting new hippos; or Wellington Zoo’s elderly male lions returning.

Jungle Man and Jambo like this.
  14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, those were the ones that have partly came true.

I think i’ll do a list for Australian Zoo Predictions soon. ;)

Jungle Man and Zoofan15 like this.
  15. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here are my predictions
    1. Large nocturnal exhibits will be almost entirely phased out of zoos.
    2. The ZAA will be comparavle to the AZA in terms of conservation and number of members
    3. Polar Bears, Elephants, and Cetaceans will either be phased out of zoos or in the process of being phased out
    4. More Australian species will be commonly exhibited outside of Australia.
    5. Most major zoos will replace multiple more unusual species with an ABC counterpart.
    6.Scientists will figure out hiw to bring extinct species back to life, and most major zoos will open large complexes for once extinct species. (Ok- this ones a little bit of a stretch, but eventually it wll happen)

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think these species will begin to disappear from zoo (at least, North American ones) but I think it will be less of a phase-out and more of a die-out.

I sure hope this doesn't happen.

Jambo and MonkeyBat like this.
  17. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A die-out does seem like a better name for it, and I can see why you wouldnt want the extinct animals back, although I think dodo birds in zoos would be really cool personally and I think there would be a really important comservation aspect to am exhibit of extinct animals.

One more prediction-
    Native species will be almost non-existent in US Zoos, with the exception of a few popular species (ex. bison) and the occassional rescue.

18. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should...