Join our zoo community

Zoo programme on Radio 4

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paradoxurus, 9 Jul 2011.

1. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

This is brilliant - thanks for the tip-off!

Alain de Botton, whose 'point of view' this programme is, is a well-respected popular philosopher.

I would urge all to listen to this - it's a fantastic exploration of why zoos benefit us, as much as they can benefit animals. He concludes by suggesting that listeners make an appointment with a "gecko or a Sri Lankan sloth bear" this summer (there's a ZSL influence clearly apparent), even if they have no children, don't like ice cream, and have an aversion to animals being given silly names. It will come as music to the ears of all us nerds who have been patronised by our (non zoo) friends and colleagues due to our interest...

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've just come across this thread, and found that the programme is still available as an mp3 download! I'll check the BBC Sounds app later, it might be on there too.

I know what I'll be listening to on my next commute :)

sooty mangabey likes this.
  4. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I couldn't find this episode on BBC Sounds, but in the process of searching, I found a mini-series of episode of Night Waves recorded at ZSL London Zoo in 2013. They're not that easy to find on the BBC Sounds app, but the desktop version of Sounds is much easier to navigate:

BBC Radio 3 - Night Waves - Night Waves at ZSL London Zoo