Join our zoo community

Emperor Valley Zoo Zoo to Undergo Renovations

Discussion in 'Trinidad & Tobago' started by okapikpr, 4 Feb 2009.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

2. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

So i guess they hired Snowloepard :D

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@zooyouthben: that made me laugh!

@okapikpr: you made my day by posting the latest news on the decrepit, rundown, antiquated, borderline barbaric Emperor Valley Zoo. I ripped into that zoo in my review, and while in Trinidad and Tobago heard nothing but nasty things about the place. To be honest there were some half decent exhibits there, but as anyone can tell by glancing through the ZooChat gallery the vast majority of the zoo was horrendous and easily the worst that I've ever visited. That's great that there are plans to overhaul certain sections (like the damn primate cages) but the dollar figure is in Trini money and that is about 6 TT for every American dollar.

5. snowleopard

6. snowleopard

7. Catnmouse

Catnmouse New Member

I visited the EVZ last week because it has in its possession an 18-foot anaconda that was captured just few miles away. Yes this is a horrible, antiquated zoo but I'm pleased to report that Phase 1 of the renovations is complete. The new enclosures are a massive improvement. They house two species of South American otters, a flock of flamingoes and other water birds, some turtles, plus there's a couple of new aviaries and there is lots of new landscaping. The lion enclosure has also been overhauled to accommodate three new males acquired from Abilene, Texas. Phase 2 is underway and I can't wait to see some of the horrible cramped cages be replaced with more humane enclosures. Until recently, this zoo had had virtually no upgrades since its construction in 1952 and it's on a small piece of real estate that doesn't leave any room for expansion. However, if the additional renovations are as good as Phase 1, I will be very pleased.

This zoo plays an important role in this country where animal life is not particularly valued. Not only does it have the potential to fulfil an important educational gap, it receives, cares for, and either houses or relocates animals that have been apprehended for various reasons - injured wild animals/birds or illegal pet trade animals. I am a regular visitor to this country and on this trip I was pleased to see that the zoo was receiving lots of good publicity and people were flocking in to see the anaconda and the new lions. I'm told there is also a giant river otter breeding program getting underway soon.

Imagine running a zoo in a developing country rife with social problems, where animal welfare is of little, if any, consideration and most wild species are hunted - including species that to the uninitiated would seem to have no value as game - many to the point of virtual eradication. I would love to see this zoo compete its renovations and expand its education program. I have my fingers crossed it happens swiftly for the sake of the animals currently living in dreadfully sub-standard conditions.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member