Join our zoo community

Zoo Tycoon Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by African Grey, 21 Aug 2017.

1. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Because all the large animal slots are filled by antelopes (one of which isn't even an actual antelope), bears, chimpanzees, elephants, giraffes, hippos, lions, rhinos, and tigers, joined by alpacas, cougars, jaguars, kangaroos, and llamas in the expansion.

2. evilmonkey239

I'm hoping for more expansions, like maybe a North American one with bison, moose, muskox, and wolves, an African one with cheetahs, zebras, gorillas, and hyenas, and an Asian one with giant pandas, snow leopards, and orangutans.

3. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You might be hoping too much. Always expect the worst from Microsoft.

4. evilmonkey239

That probably goes without saying but then again when the original came out more than 4 years ago my dreams of expansions eventually came true as much as I was not expecting it.

5. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know why it took 4 years to release the expansion? I feel like it took longer to make the expansion that it took to make the actual game

6. PossumRoach

It didn't even function like an expansion. Iirc people who had the game before had to re-purchase it. Also the "dlc" was made by another studio.

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Makes me wonder if the game was rushed. Especially since a ton of the species they did offer were really similar to each other. (like having several subspecies of tiger)

What's disappointing is that the original games (particularly the first) were quite popular and have a lot of nostalgia value for many people. I'm sure a good, new ZT game with some good marketing would do very well with both younger and older players. The original game is a bit pricey to buy used, not helped by the fact that you can't buy a download. A few years ago I found a ton of sealed PC Exclusive ones for $5 each at Half Price Books. I bought myself a copy, but if I knew I could get $20+ on eBay I would have bought them all, ha ha. At least the second one is easier to get ahold of for a reasonable price. But if they won't even release a download of the original (admittedly maybe there are some rights issues I don't know about) I'm not gonna hold my breath for a good new one from Microsoft. Maybe some indie developers will give us one.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2018
  8. PossumRoach

Frontier might have created planet safari, if it wasn't for Universal studios...

9. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What happened with Universal Studios and Frontier?

10. PossumRoach

Jurassic world evolution. I assume if it wasn't for it, planet safari could have been on the way.

11. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I don't know about that, but I am really, really looking forward to Operation: Genesis 2 Jurassic World Evolution. I was tempted to try out the most recent Zoo Tycoon, but it seems way too kid oriented. Plus, I didn't like the lack of control over exhibit design and layout.

premierfong likes this.