Join our zoo community

Zoo Zajac

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by wensleydale, 7 Oct 2015.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I just read a fascinating article on a place in Germany called Zoo Zajac, billed as the world's largest pet store. Have any of my fellow ZooChatters been there? I know we have people from the Netherlands and Western Germany here (the place is located in Duisburg, so I imagine some of you must be withing shooting distance of the place.)

I wasn't aware that German speaking Europe was so interested in exotic pets, and that the most visited Zoos in Europe were there. You learn something new every day. Frankly I don't see why they ought not to get penguins, I don't know why the owners daughter is opposed to it; they could offer penguin encounters as a new revenue stream. Also penguins are just plain great, in my opinion. I would definitely visit this place if I were in Duisburg, unless you all think I should to the Duisburg Zoo instead.

The article itself:

The World?s Biggest Pet Store Has 250,000 Animals - Bloomberg Business

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

wow, that is cool. A proper pet shop! I found it interesting, especially, that "Zoo Zajac is the only pet store in Germany where customers can buy a dog."

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There have been trip reports and pictures of Zoo Zajac on the German forums before. Around the 2000s someone reported a pygmy anteater for sale there. It's on my to do list, but theres bound to be German members that have been there...