Join our zoo community

Zoobat Collections (N. America)

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by Coelacanth18, 26 Oct 2016.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Bat fans! I would like to try and develop a comprehensive list of North American zoos with bats and the species they keep. There are a lot of gaps to fill, so let me know if I miss anything or if I get something wrong. Note: For now I'm only doing AZA, not private zoos or institutions like Lubee (Edit: I've made two exceptions to this so far for somewhat well-known non-AZA zoos).

Rodrigues flying fox, Pteropus rodricensis
    Akron Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo(?), Brookfield Zoo, Riverbanks Zoo, Lincoln Children's Zoo, Louisville Zoo, Moody Gardens, Bronx Zoo, Philadelphia Zoo, Oregon Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, Pueblo Zoo, San Diego SP
    Large/Malayan flying fox, Pteropus vampyrus
    Columbus Zoo, Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo, Oakland Zoo, Busch Gardens Tampa, Disney's Animal Kingdom, National Aviary in Pittsburgh
    Indian flying fox, Pteropus giganteus
    Woodland Park Zoo, Cincinnati Zoo, Capron Park Zoo(?), Zoo Boise(?), Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium(?), Baton Rouge Zoo(?), Topeka Zoo
    Island flying fox, Pteropus hypomelanus
    Brevard Zoo, El Paso Zoo, Oakland Zoo, Turtle Back Zoo(?)
    Grey-headed flying fox, Pteropus poliocephalus
    National Aquarium in Baltimore
    Pemba flying fox, Pteropus voeltzkowi
    Phoenix Zoo(?)
    Straw-colored fruit bat, Eidolon helvum
    Akron Zoo, Brevard Zoo, Busch Gardens Tampa(?), Calgary Zoo, Lincoln Park Zoo, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Lake Superior Zoo, Franklin Park Zoo, Hogle Zoo, Houston Zoo, Jacksonville Zoo, Kansas City Zoo, Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo, Milwaukee County Zoo, Minnesota Zoo, Elmwood Park Zoo, Bronx Zoo, Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, Oregon Zoo, Racine Zoo, Sacramento Zoo, St Paul's Como Zoo, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, Metro Richmond Zoo (not AZA), Tulsa Zoo(?), Toronto Zoo(?)
    Egyptian fruit bat, Rousettus aegyptiacus
    Lincoln Park Zoo, Oregon Zoo, Rosamond Gifford Zoo, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, Minnesota Zoo, Moody Gardens, Blank Park Zoo, Toronto Zoo(?), surely lots of other institutions...
    Ruwenzori long-haired fruit bat, Rousettus lanosus
    Zoo Boise, Franklin Park Zoo(?), Lincoln Children's Zoo, Minnesota Zoo
    Common vampire bat, Desmodus rotundus
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo, Louisville Zoo, Denver Zoo, Buffalo Zoo, Cincinnati Zoo, Dallas World Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo? (I think entire colony was exported to Europe, but not if they were replaced), Philadelphia Zoo, North American Wildlife Park (Hershey, PA), probably other institutions?
    White-winged vampire bat, Diaemus youngi
    Rosamond Gifford Zoo (BTW, where did this individual come from?)
    Greater bulldog bat, Noctilio leporinus
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, Memphis Zoo
    Greater spear-nosed bat, Phyllostomus hastatus
    Peoria Zoo, Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo(?)
    Pallas's long-tongued bat, Glossophaga soricina
    Houston Zoo(?), Mesker Park Zoo
    Jamaican fruit bat, Artibeus jamaicensis
    Potawatomi Zoo, Cameron Park Zoo, Houston Zoo(?), Zoo Miami, Calgary Zoo, Edmonton Valley Zoo (not AZA), Roger Williams Park Zoo(?), probably other institutions?
    Seba's short-tailed fruit bat, Carollia perspicillata
    Central Park Zoo, Denver Zoo, Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, Pittsburgh Zoo, Miller Park Zoo, Akron Zoo, Stone Zoo, Dallas World Aquarium, Lincoln Children's Zoo, Potter Park Zoo, Jacksonville Zoo, Lake Superior Zoo, Houston Zoo, Rolling Hills Zoo, Staten Island Zoo, Busch Gardens Tampa, Gladys Porter Zoo, San Antonio Zoo, surely other institutions...

Does Fort Worth have bats? If so, what species? Also I think Brookfield has more than one species, but I don't know what there is besides the rods.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2016
  2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Little golden-mantled flying fox, Pteropus pumilus
    Columbus Zoo, Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo (+ Lubee)

Pemba flying fox, Pteropus voeltzkowi
    0.1 specimen still at Phoenix Zoo?

Last edited: 26 Oct 2016
    iluvwhales and UngulateNerd92 like this.
  3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Found this intresting article in an old Int. Zoo News from 1999 :) :
    ENDANGERED FLYING FOXES COULD BE SAVED BY CAPTIVE BREEDING

BY MAARTEN DE RUITER

Introduction

Flying foxes of the genus Pteropus have never been popular zoo animals, but can usually be seen in small numbers at most zoos which have a nocturnal house. A large number of the 58 to 68 species are, however, threatened, and captive breeding could be a way to save a number of species or subspecies.

Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust has already proved that captive breeding is quite possible, and their programme to save the Rodrigues flying fox (P. rodricensis) is one of the success stories of captive breeding. This species is now the most commonly kept flying fox worldwide. Because of their success with this species, Jersey has now begun a breeding programme for a second species, Livingstone's flying fox (P. livingstonii), and it seems that this will become as successful as that of the Rodrigues flying fox.

Some other institutions are also working with endangered flying foxes – for example Phoenix Zoo, Arizona, the Lubee Foundation, Florida, and Silliman University, Negros, in the Philippines – but much more needs to be done to save all the rare and endangered species.

Current status of some Pteropus species and subspecies

Taiwan flying fox (P. dasymallus formosus). There is little hope that this subspecies can be saved. Around 1985 several hundred were counted on Green Island, the only known place where this subspecies was found. By disturbing and destroying the habitat and by hunting, the total population was wiped out by 1995. About 8–10 specimens are known in captivity (Anon., 1995), but as far as I am aware, no serious breeding attempts have been undertaken so far, though this would be the only way to save this subspecies. The nominate subspecies, the Ryukyu Islands flying fox (P. d. dasymallus), is kept in small numbers at Taipei Zoo (3.2) and in Ueno Zoo, Tokyo (1.1).

White-winged flying fox (P. leucopterus). This endangered species is found only on the island of Luzon (Philippines), and is threatened by both hunting and habitat loss. Some actions to protect the species have already taken place (educating the local people, protecting roosts), and a captive-breeding programme has been set up at Silliman University. In 1992 the world's first breeding was achieved here, and since then further breedings have taken place. Even so, to spread the risk, it would be wise to set up more colonies (Wirth, 1992, 1993).

Livingstone's flying fox (P. livingstonii). The Livingstone's or Comoro black flying fox is the subject of Jersey's second flying fox breeding programme, and the 17 animals brought to Jersey have grown to a colony of 22 animals. A further seven have been sent to Bristol Zoo to build up a second colony. With this species, too, in addition to the breeding programme, education of the local people should help to save the species.

Marianas flying fox (P. mariannus). Several populations of this species are endangered (for example that on the Ryukyu Islands), and on Guam the population was estimated at about 500 in 1990. As far as I am aware, none are kept in captivity at present, but to save at least some of the subspecies, action is urgently needed.

Greater Mascarene flying fox (P. niger). This species has already become extinct on Reunion, and only a small population is found on Mauritius. Luckily, however, a captive-breeding programme already exists, and at Black River, Mauritius, the species is being bred successfully. But it would be useful if more captive colonies could be set up, reducing the risk of losing the entire captive population by a disaster or disease.

Little golden-mantled flying fox (P. pumilus). Together with the white-winged, this is the most threatened Pteropus flying fox from the Philippines, known only from Palmas Island. As with the white-winged, Silliman University has set up a successful breeding programme for this relatively small species, and a satellite population has already been brought to the U.S.A., where a thriving breeding colony of 18.16.1 animals is kept at the Lubee Foundation.

Rodrigues flying fox (P. rodricensis). Thanks to the very successful breeding programme started by Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust in the 1980s, this species is now the most commonly kept flying fox worldwide. A total of 621 animals is kept in 19 collections, and with the help of education programmes on Rodrigues, the future for this species looks bright.

Samoa flying fox (P. samoensis). The Samoa flying fox is already nearly extinct, and although some experience of captive management was gathered on Samoa, it was not possible to import the small colony there into the U.S.A. The six animals were therefore entrusted to a local person in whose hands they all died (Cox, 1984). Hopefully some new ones can be brought into captivity to set up a properly managed breeding programme – otherwise the future looks very black for this species.

Guam flying fox (P. tokudae). Probably extinct, but further searching is needed. If any survivors should be discovered, only a captive-breeding programme can save the species.

Pemba flying fox (P. voeltzkowi). Only known from the island of Pemba off the coast of Tanzania, this species has been threatened by habitat loss and hunting. Several conservation organisations have started programmes to protect the species, which has a wild population of 4,600–5,500 animals (1997 estimate). A small captive population (4.1) is kept at Phoenix Zoo.

Conclusion

Much has still to be done to save flying foxes, and many species or subspecies not mentioned here are also found on one or a few islands, and are at equally great risk. A few species classified by the IUCN as Vulnerable are already kept in captivity – for example 1.0.1 Bonin Islands flying foxes (P. pselaphon) at Tama Zoo, Tokyo, and 1.2.2 Malanipa Island flying foxes (P. speciosus) at Moscow Zoo – but many others are still not represented. Hopefully, instead of leaving it to Jersey to set up further programmes in due course, some of the larger zoos will take responsibility for rescuing one or more of these species before it is too late.

References

Anon. (1995): Taiwan-Flughund im Freiland ausgerottet. Mitteilungen, Zoologische Gesellschaft für Arten- und Populationsschutz 11 (2): 21.

Cox, P.A. (1984): Flying fox nearly extinct in Samoa. Bats 1 (4): 1–2.

Wirth, R. (1992): Artenschutzprojekte auf den Philippinen. Mitteilungen, Zoologische Gesellschaft für Arten- und Populationsschutz 8 (2): 14–15.

Wirth, R. (1993): Erhaltungszucht for endemische philippinische Flughunde. Mitteilungen, Zoologische Gesellschaft für Arten- und Populationsschutz 9 (2): 15.

Maarten de Ruiter, Pr. Beatrixstraat 9, 4793 CV Fijnaart, The Netherlands.

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  4. Coelacanth18

@MikeG: thanks for the info. I saw one fruit bat at Phoenix when I was there, but as there was no signage and it was hard to see I couldn't confirm it was voeltzkowi; however, I don't think there has ever been another species there so I think its safe to assume it was.

@vogelcommando: Thanks for that interesting article. Bats really have the potential to be popular exhibit animals, but IMO they rarely receive the attention they deserve. This is especially true for conservation; there are many threatened bat species, and it seems that spending money on bat conservation is a relatively recent development and remains limited. And with the success of the P. rodricensis captive breeding program, the husbandry expertise to manage other threatened FFs in captivity is there and the evidence that it is effective is also.

Is there a time limit on editing posts? For some reason I can no longer edit my original post to reflect MikeG's updates.

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lubee is AZA (Lubee Bat Conservancy » AZA Certification) so for what it's worth I think you should count it.

Spectacled Flying Fox Pteropus conspicillatus
    0.1 at Lubee.

Houston does have Pallas' long tongued bat.

Phoenix does have 1 Pemba flying fox remaining.

Texas State Aquarium received common vampire bats from Cincinnati recently but they haven't gone on exhibit yet and I assume they won't for a while.

I believe Disney has Rodrigues flying fox.

The Metro Richmond Zoo (non AZA) has Indian flying fox.

If you want another well-known non AZA Zoo, the Capital of Texas Zoo has Egyptian fruit bats. It's certainly not known for being good, though...

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Until relatively recently the California Science Center and the Springs Preserve in Las Vegas displayed pallid bats. I don't think either place still has them though as apparently insectivorous bats are very hard to maintain.

7. Coelacanth18

@jayjds2 and @DavidBrown : thanks for the responses. I did not realize that Lubee was a full member, I thought they were just an associate. With that being the case, I will include them.

I'll see how many more replies there are on this thread and post a new list later since I can't seem to edit the original.

8. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pale spear-nosed bat, Phyllostomus discolor
    Miami Zoo(?) - received specimens in 2009. May still hold the species.

9. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regarding bats in nocturnal houses - Rodrigues and Livingstones, and probably other Pteropus spp, are actually quite diurnal as a result of roosting in trees. At Bristol both the Livingstones they have now and the Rodrigues they had previously regularly fly and move around their outside walk-through enclosures while visitors are present, especially after midday. A zoo does not need a nocturnal house to have a good bat display.

10. Coelacanth18

@MikeG : Thanks, I knew there was a holder of that species somewhere in the US and I do think it's Miami, assuming that the species is still there.

@Zoovolunteer : That's really interesting... I don't think I've ever seen a flying fox fly. I've seen them in a few diurnal exhibits and they always just hang there and stare down at the people. I've seen video of active diurnal FFs in zoos, though, so maybe it depends on a number of factors.

11. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The outside enclosure at Bristol is quite high (around 6m I think) and also long, so it is better for flying. Livingstones seem to prefer to drop from a height to get air speed for flight. In small enclosures all except the smallest species would probably climb around rather than fly.

12. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

In the Bronx Zoo's Jungle World two additional fruit bat species are labeled (and I have seen displayed over the years)
    Indian Flying Fox
    Large Malayan Flying Fox

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Coelacanth18

By the way, does anyone know what happened to the hammerhead fruit bats that use to live in San Diego and perhaps other places? Did they just die out or were they hard to keep? And where did San Diego put them on exhibit, assuming they did?

Edit: Website says they were at SDWAP, not SDZ, and that it was back in the 1970's. Still interested to know what happened and where exactly they were held, though.

15. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Detroit Zoo is turning the old penguinarium (I've posted about the new penguin exhibit in the Detroit Zoo threads) into a bat conservation center. As yet I've been unable to find any concrete plans or schedule. I'll try to remember to post here when I learn anything.

16. Coelacanth18

@Alex Bensky : That'd be great, Alex. I noticed that Detroit doesn't have any bats and seems to be one of the few major zoos that does not. Others include Saint Louis, Indianapolis, San Francisco, and perhaps Dallas and Atlanta.

Van Beal likes this.
  17. jayjds2

I do remember several years ago that there was a flying fox inside the building of the Children's Zoo of the Saint Louis Zoo. I just searched, it was apparently an Indian flying fox. I wonder why they never went further with the species, or any species of bat?

Dallas Zoo has no bats. I'm surprised- there's a few areas they could work in a species. You didn't mention it but the National Zoo also does not have bats. It used to, but then the indoor area of Great Cats closed.

18. Coelacanth18

I remember the flying fox too. I can't quite remember where in the building it was; I think it was either where the sloth and armadillo are now, or over where the marine tanks are (which would mean that the enclosure is gone). Either way, far too small for a flying fox (although maybe it was non-flighted?)

My hope is that they will bring them back one day, although I'm not sure where they would go.

19. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wish that bats were exhibited much more prominently. Few zoos on the west coast of the U.S. have bat species exhibited. In California I think only Oakland, Sacramento, and San Diego Safari Park have any bat species on exhibit as of late 2016.

LA, Santa Barbara, and San Diego Zoos, the Living Desert and the California Science Center all all used to have bat species in the past.

20. jayjds2

It was where the sloth/armadillo are (are those the current inhabitants? There were a pair of fennec fox on my last visit). Agreed, far too small- a problem I see with many bat enclosures, sadly.