Join our zoo community

Zoochat "A Gap In Nature" Extinct Taxon Challenge

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by TeaLovingDave, 7 Mar 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Got be peeking into the window of a closed facility :p:oops::

1. Passenger Pigeon - Ectopistes migratorius - Horicon Marsh International Education Center - Taxidermy Mount

Jungle Man likes this.
  2. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

I'd like to join.

I made a short visit to Melbourne Museum earlier in the year, although most of the Australian taxidermys were closed, these were still seen.

1. Lesser Bilby (Macrotis leucura)- Melbourne Museum- stuffted taxidermy
    2. Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus)- Melbourne Museum- Taxidermy model.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the huia is a particularly interesting case, as hunting to provide specimens for museums is cited as one of the primary causes for its extinction: of course this was a particular problem for this species because collectors wanted to kill pairs of birds, so that they could be mounted together to show the different beak shapes of the male and female. Many museums in the UK, including small local ones, have mounts like this one at the Horniman.
    https://media.timeout.com/images/104096705/image.jpg
    A few moments on Google provided a couple of interesting links The Museum of New Zealand (Te Papa Tongarewa) has about 40 skins, half of which are mounted.
    Loading... | Collections Online - Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
    There are also some specimens in private hands which come up for auction from time to time, even single feathers have value, particularly because of their significance in Maori culture. This auction website records the sales of 5 mounted pairs and 4 single specimens, although I was not curious enough to pay for a subscription to see the prices that they fetched.
    taxidermied huia bird specimens and parts - price guide and values

Mo Hassan and Jungle Man like this.