Join our zoo community

Zoochat Booklist

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by sealion, 8 Sep 2010.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I recently reread my copy, inspired by seeing the water shrews at Slimbridge, it's still surprisingly good. He established the jackdaw colony which is the heart of the book - but many other species are mentioned. I have read his book on dogs (now superseded by modern research) and 'On Aggression', but not the goose book.

Alan

2. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the list, Snowleopard. I have an Amazon gift card I've been meaning to use, and I might get a book or two off this list.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First of al of course the books of Gerald Durrell and David Taylor. Other must reads are ( in
    mine opinion ) : The passion of John Aspinall
    Penguin Millionaire - the story of Birdland
    Zootierhaltung by Wolfgang Puschmann ( in German )
    Iets grootsch en buitengewoons - 150 years Rotterdam Zoo ( in Dutch )
    International Zooyear Book
    and many, many more....

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I forgot a very impotant one : The song of the dodo by David Quammen !!!!

6. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes! Loved it.

7. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/162209641X/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img]Amazon.com: A Tenrec Named Trey (And other odd lettered animals that like to play) (9781622096411): Kenny Coogan, Chris Padovano: Books[/ame]

My friend who works at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo just published his first childrens book. I recommend it to anyone who has children. Here's a description from the Amazon page:

A Tenrec named Trey (and other odd lettered animals that like to play), offers a playful look into the lives of some of the amazing animals from the animal kingdom. Written in beautiful poetic lines, A Tenrec named Trey teaches great life lessons to kids of all ages using fun rhyming verse. Featuring fun and unique characters like Velma Quinn the Valley Quail and Wade the Water Dragon, A Tenrec named Trey is sure to delight young readers and encourage them to read these stories over and over.

8. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

A book on tenrecs for children! With them being one if my favourite species and with a baby on the way I may just buy it!

When I get round to sorting my zoo book collection out I will post What I have :)