Join our zoo community

Zoochat Challenge North America 2022

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by Coelacanth18, 1 Jan 2022.

1. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi All,

Here's an update after visiting my last zoo of the year yesterday- Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak, Michigan! I completed The Kngmaker, added to a couple other challenges (the additions are in bold) and also fixed a couple errors I had made.

Have Trunk, Will Travel (2/4)- African elephant (Cleveland) and Asian elephant (Columbus)

White with Black Stripes or Black with White Stripes (3/3)- Grevy's zebra (Keystone Safari, Grove City, Pennsylvania), plains zebra (Columbus) and mountain zebra (Cleveland)

Cat Got Your Tongue (9/9)- lion (Columbus), tiger (Columbus), jaguar (Akron), leopard (Columbus), snow leopard (Cleveland) and clouded leopard (Cleveland) + ocelot (Cleveland), cheetah (Cleveland) and fishing cat (Cleveland)

An Unbearable Challenge (5/5)- North American black bear (Columbus), sun bear (Cleveland), grizzly bear (Columbus), polar bear (Columbus) and sloth bear (Columbus)

Ring ‘n Ruff (3/3)- ring-tailed lemur (Cleveland), red ruffed lemur (Cleveland) and black-and-white ruffed lemur (Cleveland)

Puny Primates (5/6)- golden lion, pied and Geoffrey’s tamarins (Cleveland), white-fronted and Goeldi’s marmosets (Cleveland)

Planet of the Apes (6/6)- gorilla (Columbus), orangutan (Columbus), bonobo (Columbus), white-cheeked gibbon (Toledo), siamang (Columbus) and white-handed gibbon (Columbus)

Three Little Pigs (2/3)- red river hog and warthog (Columbus)

Another Dang Meerkat (2/4)- Toledo and Cleveland

Bovine Bonanza (11/20)- bontebok (Cleveland), Thomson’s, slender-horned and Dama gazelles (Columbus), greater kudu (Columbus), lowland nyala (Toledo), Speke’s gazelle (Akron), takin (Cleveland), American bison (Wagon Trails Animal Park, Vienna, Ohio), addax (Keystone Safari) and common eland (Detroit Zoo)

Late to the Party (8/8)- American bison, river otter, moose, wolverine, Mexican gray wolf, grizzly bear, polar bear and American beaver (Columbus)

You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (4/4)- ostrich (Wagon Trails), emu (Cleveland), rhea (Wagon Trails) and cassowary (double-wattled- Toledo)

Pretty in Pink (2/4)- Chilean flamingo (Columbus), American flamingo (Toledo) and greater flamingo (Detroit)

Rookery Roundabout (6/6)- African penguin (Toledo), Humboldt penguin (Columbus), chinstrap, Gentoo, macaroni and rockhopper penguins (Detroit)

Duck Dynasty (18/18)- freckled and spotted whistling ducks (Columbus), snow goose (Columbus), ruddy duck (Columbus), harlequin and long-tailed ducks (Toledo), white-faced whistling ducks and ring teals (Cleveland), emperor, lesser white-fronted and red-breasted geese (Toledo), magpie goose (Columbus), Mandarin duck (Cleveland), wood duck (Cleveland), Baikal teal, scaly-sided merganser, rosy-billed pochard and redhead (Akron)

Parliament Is Now In Session (5/6)- barn owl (Akron), snowy owl (Akron), Eastern screech owl (Toledo), great horned owl (North Chagrin Nature Center, Mayfield Village, Ohio) and barred owl (North Chagrin)

Polly Wants 20 (12/20)- hyacinth macaw (Akron), sulphur-crested cockatoo (Columbus), budgerigar (Cleveland), Bourke’s parrot (Toledo), cockatiel (Toledo), Australian rainbow lorikeet (Columbus), African gray parrot (Toledo), eastern rosella (Columbus), blue-and-gold macaw (Wagon Trails), turquoise-fronted amazon (Keystone Safari), scarlet macaw (Keystone Safari) and green-winged macaw (Detroit)

The Alfred Russell Wallace (1/1)- Raggiana bird-of-paradise (Toledo)

The Edgar Allen Poe (3/5)- azure-winged magpie (Columbus), blue jay (Akron) and white-necked raven (Keystone Safari)

Nighttime Birding (1/1)- kiwi (Columbus)

The Big Squeeze (4/5)- anaconda (Toledo), reticulated python (Columbus), Burmese python (Cleveland) and green tree python (Columbus)

Slow and Steady (3/4)- Galapagos tortoise (Toledo), Aldabra tortoise (Columbus) and northern spider tortoise (Cleveland)

The Sobek Six-Pack (4/6)- American alligator (Columbus), Indian gharial (Cleveland), West African dwarf crocodile (Cleveland) and saltwater crocodile (Toledo)

One Drop, One Life (19/20)- eastern massasauga, banded rock, timber, canebrake, eastern diamondback and dusky pygmy rattlesnakes (Columbus), Aruba and mottled rock rattlesnakes (Toledo), eyelash viper (Cleveland), Russell’s, jumping and rhinoceros vipers (Toledo), Komodo dragon (Toledo), Gila monster (Columbus), Indochinese spitting cobra (Detroit), gaboon viper (Detroit), cape and red spitting cobras (Columbus) and false water cobra (Toledo)

Pick Your Poison (6/6)- green-and-black poison arrow, Anthony’s poison arrow, golden poison dart and bumblebee poison dart frogs (Columbus), strawberry poison dart frog (Toledo) and blue poison dart frog (Cleveland)

Sharknado (4/4)- epaulette shark, white-spotted bamboo shark, chain catshark and coral catshark (Toledo)

Silk and Stinger (6/6)- Indian ornamental, Brazilian salmon pink and orange baboon tarantulas (Cleveland) and Big Bend, stripe-tailed and Arizona bark scorpions (Toledo)

Release the Kraken (1/1)- giant Pacific octopus (Cleveland, Akron)

The Kingmaker (3/3)- king cobra (Columbus), king vulture (Keystone Safari) and king penguin (Detroit)

Cold as Ice (3/3)- polar bear (Columbus), Arctic fox (Columbus) and snowy owl (Akron)

Champion of the Sun (2/3)- sunbittern (Cleveland) and sun bear (Cleveland)

The Steve Irwin (15/15)- red kangaroo, gray kangaroo, koala and Tasmanian devil (Columbus), Bennett’s wallaby (Cleveland), rainbow lorikeet, kookaburra and tawny frogmouth (Columbus), budgerigar and sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cleveland), prehensile-tailed skink, Macklot’s python, carpet and Children’s pythons and northern Australian snapping turtle (Columbus)

One-Zoo Wonder- Sharknado (Toledo), Ring 'n Ruff (Cleveland) and Late to the Party (Columbus)

The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (6/15)- spotted hyena (Columbus), Malayan large flying fox (Columbus), green aracari (Cleveland), Japanese giant salamander (Detroit), Lake Titicaca water frog (Detroit) and Jackson’s chameleon (Toledo)

Bona Fide Rarity Hunter (1/3)- golden-bellied mangabey (Cleveland)

Breakfast of Champions/TinoPup’s Namesake Challenge (1/1)- dingo (Cleveland)

Coelacanth18 and Corangurilla like this.
  2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Congrats on the final count @CleZooMan. Looks good, other than a few errors in one challenge.

1. You only need 18, not 20.
    2. Banded and Mottled Rock Rattlesnakes are two subspecies within the same species, Crotalus lepidus. Timber and Canebrake are synonyms for the same species, Crotalus horridus. So for rattlesnakes you're at 6/8.
    3. False Water Cobra is not a cobra, actually :p sorry about that! So you're at 3 of 4 for elapids.

I know Toledo has a lot of venomous snakes, so maybe you have some substitutions you can make?

3. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

When did you visit Toledo? Have you visited during the 3pm-9pm hours that were listed on the website, and if so what was that experience like? Those hours alone put me off visiting for this year, although if everything was open it would've given me some good progress on the challenges.

4. CleZooMan

Thank you! I'll fix these things... I hope I do have some substitutions.

5. CleZooMan

I visited on August 7, 2022. Not during the 3pm-9pm hours listed on the website

CMP likes this.
  6. CleZooMan

@Coelacanth18 I used King Cobra for 2 challenges. If that's not ok, let me know, but I think I corrected everything for the Drop of Life challenge...

Have Trunk, Will Travel (2/4)- African elephant (Cleveland) and Asian elephant (Columbus)

White with Black Stripes or Black with White Stripes (3/3)- Grevy's zebra (Keystone Safari, Grove City, Pennsylvania), plains zebra (Columbus) and mountain zebra (Cleveland)

Cat Got Your Tongue (9/9)- lion (Columbus), tiger (Columbus), jaguar (Akron), leopard (Columbus), snow leopard (Cleveland) and clouded leopard (Cleveland) + ocelot (Cleveland), cheetah (Cleveland) and fishing cat (Cleveland)

An Unbearable Challenge (5/5)- North American black bear (Columbus), sun bear (Cleveland), grizzly bear (Columbus), polar bear (Columbus) and sloth bear (Columbus)

Ring ‘n Ruff (3/3)- ring-tailed lemur (Cleveland), red ruffed lemur (Cleveland) and black-and-white ruffed lemur (Cleveland)

Puny Primates (5/6)- golden lion, pied and Geoffrey’s tamarins (Cleveland), white-fronted and Goeldi’s marmosets (Cleveland)

Planet of the Apes (6/6)- gorilla (Columbus), orangutan (Columbus), bonobo (Columbus), white-cheeked gibbon (Toledo), siamang (Columbus) and white-handed gibbon (Columbus)

Three Little Pigs (2/3)- red river hog and warthog (Columbus)

Another Dang Meerkat (2/4)- Toledo and Cleveland

Bovine Bonanza (11/20)- bontebok (Cleveland), Thomson’s, slender-horned and Dama gazelles (Columbus), greater kudu (Columbus), lowland nyala (Toledo), Speke’s gazelle (Akron), takin (Cleveland), American bison (Wagon Trails Animal Park, Vienna, Ohio), addax (Keystone Safari) and common eland (Detroit Zoo)

Late to the Party (8/8)- American bison, river otter, moose, wolverine, Mexican gray wolf, grizzly bear, polar bear and American beaver (Columbus)

You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (4/4)- ostrich (Wagon Trails), emu (Cleveland), rhea (Wagon Trails) and cassowary (double-wattled- Toledo)

Pretty in Pink (2/4)- Chilean flamingo (Columbus), American flamingo (Toledo) and greater flamingo (Detroit)

Rookery Roundabout (6/6)- African penguin (Toledo), Humboldt penguin (Columbus), chinstrap, Gentoo, macaroni and rockhopper penguins (Detroit)

Duck Dynasty (18/18)- freckled and spotted whistling ducks (Columbus), snow goose (Columbus), ruddy duck (Columbus), harlequin and long-tailed ducks (Toledo), white-faced whistling ducks and ring teals (Cleveland), emperor, lesser white-fronted and red-breasted geese (Toledo), magpie goose (Columbus), Mandarin duck (Cleveland), wood duck (Cleveland), Baikal teal, scaly-sided merganser, rosy-billed pochard and redhead (Akron)

Parliament Is Now In Session (5/6)- barn owl (Akron), snowy owl (Akron), Eastern screech owl (Toledo), great horned owl (North Chagrin Nature Center, Mayfield Village, Ohio) and barred owl (North Chagrin)

Polly Wants 20 (12/20)- hyacinth macaw (Akron), sulphur-crested cockatoo (Columbus), budgerigar (Cleveland), Bourke’s parrot (Toledo), cockatiel (Toledo), Australian rainbow lorikeet (Columbus), African gray parrot (Toledo), eastern rosella (Columbus), blue-and-gold macaw (Wagon Trails), turquoise-fronted amazon (Keystone Safari), scarlet macaw (Keystone Safari) and green-winged macaw (Detroit)

The Alfred Russell Wallace (1/1)- Raggiana bird-of-paradise (Toledo)

The Edgar Allen Poe (3/5)- azure-winged magpie (Columbus), blue jay (Akron) and white-necked raven (Keystone Safari)

Nighttime Birding (1/1)- kiwi (Columbus)

The Big Squeeze (4/5)- anaconda (Toledo), reticulated python (Columbus), Burmese python (Cleveland) and green tree python (Columbus)

Slow and Steady (3/4)- Galapagos tortoise (Toledo), Aldabra tortoise (Columbus) and northern spider tortoise (Cleveland)

The Sobek Six-Pack (4/6)- American alligator (Columbus), Indian gharial (Cleveland), West African dwarf crocodile (Cleveland) and saltwater crocodile (Toledo)

One Drop, One Life (20/20)- eastern massasauga, banded rock, timber, canebrake, eastern diamondback and dusky pygmy rattlesnakes (Columbus), Aruba, southwestern speckled, prairie and mottled rock rattlesnakes (Toledo), eyelash viper (Cleveland), Russell’s, jumping and rhinoceros vipers (Toledo), Komodo dragon (Toledo), Gila monster (Columbus), Indochinese spitting cobra (Detroit), gaboon viper (Detroit), cape and red spitting cobras (Columbus) and king cobra (Toledo)

Pick Your Poison (6/6)- green-and-black poison arrow, Anthony’s poison arrow, golden poison dart and bumblebee poison dart frogs (Columbus), strawberry poison dart frog (Toledo) and blue poison dart frog (Cleveland)

Sharknado (4/4)- epaulette shark, white-spotted bamboo shark, chain catshark and coral catshark (Toledo)

Silk and Stinger (6/6)- Indian ornamental, Brazilian salmon pink and orange baboon tarantulas (Cleveland) and Big Bend, stripe-tailed and Arizona bark scorpions (Toledo)

Release the Kraken (1/1)- giant Pacific octopus (Cleveland, Akron)

The Kingmaker (3/3)- king cobra (Columbus), king vulture (Keystone Safari) and king penguin (Detroit)

Cold as Ice (3/3)- polar bear (Columbus), Arctic fox (Columbus) and snowy owl (Akron)

Champion of the Sun (2/3)- sunbittern (Cleveland) and sun bear (Cleveland)

The Steve Irwin (15/15)- red kangaroo, gray kangaroo, koala and Tasmanian devil (Columbus), Bennett’s wallaby (Cleveland), rainbow lorikeet, kookaburra and tawny frogmouth (Columbus), budgerigar and sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cleveland), prehensile-tailed skink, Macklot’s python, carpet and Children’s pythons and northern Australian snapping turtle (Columbus)

One-Zoo Wonder- Sharknado (Toledo), Ring 'n Ruff (Cleveland) and Late to the Party (Columbus)

The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (6/15)- spotted hyena (Columbus), Malayan large flying fox (Columbus), green aracari (Cleveland), Japanese giant salamander (Detroit), Lake Titicaca water frog (Detroit) and Jackson’s chameleon (Toledo)

Bona Fide Rarity Hunter (1/3)- golden-bellied mangabey (Cleveland)

Breakfast of Champions/TinoPup’s Namesake Challenge (1/1)- dingo (Cleveland)

7. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Nah, you’re good. I think the only animal that can’t be used for more than one challenge is Dingo/New Guinea Singing Dog for the Steve Irwin and Breakfast of Champions.

8. CleZooMan

Oh, that's right. Think I did pretty well for not too many zoos... Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Wagon Trails Animal Park (Vienna, Ohio, now closed...), Keystone Safari (Grove City, Pennsylvania) and even North Chagrin Nature Center (Mayfield Village, Ohio).

Corangurilla likes this.
  9. Coelacanth18

Yeah looks good @CleZooMan. Sorry, I didn't process that you hadn't counted King Cobra for One Drop One Life; if I'd noticed I would have just fixed that one for you.

10. Coelacanth18

Corangurilla likes this.
  11. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

(The format's weird now. ZooChat won't let me underline, bolt, italicize or add a spoiler)

29. National Zoo 12/30
    An Unbearable Challenge 6/5 COMPLETE
    • Polar bear (Ursus maritimus) – Louisville Zoo 3/16
    • Andean bear (Tremarctos ornatus) – Queens Zoo 4/15
    • Brown bear (Ursas arctos) – Bronx Zoo 9/11
    • Asiatic black bear (Ursus thibetanus) – Roger Williams Park Zoo 11/28
    • Giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) – National Zoo 12/30
    • Sloth bear (Melursus ursinus) – National Zoo 12/30

The Edgar Allen Poe 5/5 COMPLETE
    • Plush crested jay (Cyanocorax chrysops) – Central Park Zoo 4/15
    • Azure-winged magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) – Louisville Zoo 8/12
    • Blue magpie (Urocissa erythrorhyncha) – Bronx Zoo 9/11
    • African pied raven (Corvus albus) - Rosamond Gifford Zoo 12/8
    • Common raven (Corvus corax) – National Zoo 12/30

The Sobek Six Pack 6/6 COMPLETE
    o American alligator (Alligator missisippiensis) – Cincinnati Zoo 1/2
    o Chinese alligator (Alligator sinensis) – Cincinnati Zoo 1/2
    • Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus) – Bronx Zoo 8/24
    o American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) – Cincinnati Zoo 1/2
    o Cuban crocodile (Crocodylus rhombifer) – Louisville Zoo 8/12
    • Tomistoma (Tomistoma schlegelii) – National Zoo 12/30

Complete (33/36): White With Black Stripes, Cat Got Your Tongue, Unbearable Challenge, Planet of the Apes, Three Little Pigs, Ring N Ruff, Puny Primates, Another Dang Meerkat, Bovine Bonanza, Late to the Party, You Must be This Tall to (Not) Fly, Duck Dynasty, Parliament is in Session, Polly Wants 20, Alfred Russell Wallace, Edgar Allen Poe, Nocturnal Birding, Rookery Roundabout, Slow and Steady, Sobek Sixpack, The Big Squeeze, One Drop One Life, Sharknado, One Zoo Wonder (Sharknado), Silk & Stinger, Release the Kraken, Kingmaker, Cold as Ice, The Steve Irwin Challenge, Seal of Approval, Bona Fide Rarity Hunter, Namesake Challenge

In progress (3/36): Have Trunk Will Travel (3/4), Pretty in Pink (3/4), Champion of the Sun (2/3)

29 visits, 27 days, 13 facilities

That's all I'll be able to do this year. I'm mighty proud of how much I've seen and contributed this year. Can't wait to see what the challenge for 2023 will look like. Happy New Year to all!

Coelacanth18 and TheGerenuk like this.
  12. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Well, I expected to be done for the year, but I made it out to St. Louis just before the challenge ended. As you'll see, a lot of no-shows, but that didn't stop me from enjoying what was visible.

World Bird Sanctuary (12/28/2022)

-BIRDS
    You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (2/4)
    2. Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae)​

Parliament Is Now In Session (6/6) COMPLETE
    5. American Barn Owl (Tyto alba)
    6. Barred Owl (Strix varia)

Bona Fide Rarity Hunter (3/3) COMPLETE
    3. Northern Hawk Owl (Surnia ulula)

-MAMMALS

Have Trunk, Will Travel (1/4) 0/2 elephants (1/2) Tapirs
    1. Lowland Tapir (Tapirus terrestris)

White with Black Stripes or Black with White Stripes (1/3)
    1. Grevy’s Zebra (Equus grevyi)

Cat Got Your Tongue (7/9) 5/6 Pantherinae 2/3 Regional Small Cat
    1. Amur Leopard (Panthera pardus orientalis)
    2. Lion (Panthera leo)
    3. Amur Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica)
    4. Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia)
    5. Clouded Leopard (Neogelis nebulosa)
    6. Black-footed cat (Felis nigripes)
    7. Canada Lynx (Lynx canadensis)

An Unbearable Challenge (3/5)
    1. Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus)
    2. Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis)
    3. Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus)

Ring ‘n Ruff (1/3) 1/1 Ring-tailed Lemur 0/2 Ruffed Lemurs
    1. Ring-tailed Lemur (Lemur catta)

Puny Primates (3/6)
    1. Callimico (Callimico goeldii)
    2. Pied Tamarin (Saguinus bicolor)
    3. Golden-headed Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysomelas)

Planet of the Apes (3/6) 2/3 Great Apes 1/3 Gibbons
    1. Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)
    2. Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes)
    3. White-cheeked Gibbon (Nomascus leucogenys)

Three Little Pigs (2/3)
    1. Red River Hog (Potamochoerus porcus)
    2. Chacoan Peccary (Catagonus wagneri)

Another Dang Meerkat (1/4)
    1. Brookfield Zoo (6/3/22)

Bovine Bonanza (8/20)
    1. Addax (addax nasomaculatus)
    2. Gerenuk (Litocranius walleri)
    3. Nyala (Tragelaphus angasii)
    4. Kirk’s Dik-Dik (Madoqua kirkii)
    5. Klipspringer (Oreotragus oreotragus)
    6. Yellow-backed Duiker (Cephalophus silviculator)
    7. Red-flanked Duiker (Cephalophus rufilatus)
    8. Sichuan Takin (Budorcas taxicolor tibetana)

Redemption Arc (1/1) COMPLETE
    1. Black-handed Spider Monkey (Ateles geoffroyi)

-BIRDS

You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (1/4)
    1. Ostrich (Struthio camelus)
    2. Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae)

Rookery Roundabout (3/6)
    1. Magellanic penguin (Spheniscus magellanicus)
    2. Southern rockhopper penguin (Eudyptes chrysocome)
    3. Humboldt Penguin (Spheniscus humboldti)

Duck Dynasty (12/18)
    1. Brazilian teal (Amazonetta brasiliensis)
    2. White-faced whistling duck (Dendrocygna viduata)
    3. Puna Teal (Spatula puna)
    4. Rosybill Pochard (Netta peposaca)
    5. Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors)
    6. Baer's Pochard (Aythya baeri)
    7. Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata)
    8. Blue-billed Teal (Spatula hottentota)
    9. Tundra swan (Cygnus columbianus)
    10. Black scoter (Melanitta americana)
    11. Redhead (Aythya americana)
    12. Wood duck (Chenonetta jubata)

1. Snowy Owl (Nyctea scandiaca)
    2. Great horned owl (Bubo virginianus)
    3. Eastern screech owl (Megascops asio)
    4. Northern saw-whet owl (Aegolius acadicus)

Polly Wants 20 (2/20)
    1. Hawk-headed parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    2. Puerto Rican Parrot (Amazona vittata)

The Edgar Allen Poe (3/5) 2/2 Corvus 0/1 magpie 1/1 jay 0/1 bonus corvid
    1. Common Raven (Corvus corax)
    2. American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)
    3. Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)

Nighttime Birding (1/1) COMPLETE
    1. Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)

-ECTOTHERMS

The Big Squeeze (3/5 constrictor snakes) 0/1 Anaconda, 1/1 Reticulated Python, 1/1 Burmese Python, 0/1 Boa Constrictor, 1/1 other boa or python
    1. Emerald tree boa (Corallus batesii)
    2. Reticulated Python (Python reticulatus)
    3. Burmese Python (Python bivittatus)

Slow and Steady (3/4) 1/2 Giant Tortoise 1/1 Madagascar Tortoise 1/1 Gopherus sp.
    1. Galapagos Tortoise (Chelonoidis vicina)
    2. Madagascar Spider Tortoise (Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides)
    3. Texas Tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri

The Sobek Six-Pack (3/6) 1/2 alligators, 0/2 gharials, 2/2 crocodiles
    1. American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)
    2. African Dwarf Crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis)
    3. Orinoco Crocodile (Crocodylus intermedius)

One Drop, One Life (6/20)
    2/8 Rattlesnakes 3/4 Non-rattlesnake Vipers, 0/4 elapids 0/1 Komodo Dragon 1/1 Heloderma
    1. Santa Catalina Island Rattleless Rattlesnake (Crotalus catalinensis)
    2. Aruba Island Rattlesnake (Crotalus unicolor)
    3. Western Gaboon Viper (Bitis rhinoceros)
    4. Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum)
    5. Eastern Massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)
    6. Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii)

Pick Your Poison (6/6) COMPLETE
    1. Golden poison dart frog (Phyllobates terribilis)
    2. Splashback poison dart frog (Adelphobates galactonotus)
    3. Black-legged poison dart frog (Phyllobates bicolor)
    4. Yellow-headed dart frog (Dendrobates leucomelas)
    5. Phantasmal dart frog (Epipedobates anthonyi)
    6. Dyeing poison dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius)

Sharknado (6/6) COMPLETE
    1. Bonnethead shark (Sphyrna tiburo)
    2. Zebra shark (Stegostoma tigrinum)
    3. Blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus)
    4. Sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus)

Silk and Stinger (2/6) 2/3 spider 0/3 scorpion
    1. Goliath bird-eater tarantula (Theraphosa blondi)
    2. Greenbottle blue tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)

Release the Kraken (1/1) COMPLETE
    1. Flamboyant cuttlefish (Metasepia pfefferi)

-MULTI-CLASS

Cold as Ice (2/3)
    2. Snowy Owl (Nyctea scandiaca)

The Steve Irwin (15/15) (5/5) mammals (5/5) birds (5/5) reptiles/amphibians COMPLETE
    1. Red-bellied short-necked turtle (Emydura subglobosa)
    2. Fly river turtle (Carettochelys insculpta)
    3. Western Gray Kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus)
    4. Bennett’s Wallaby (Macropus rufogriseus)
    5. Magnificent Tree Frog (Litoria splendida)
    6. Woma Python (Aspidites ramsayi)
    7. Green Tree Python (Chondropython viridis)
    8. Short-beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus)
    9. Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae)
    10. Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat (Lasiorhinus latifrons)
    11. Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)
    12. Beautiful Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus pulchellus)
    13. Blue-faced Honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis)
    14. Victoria Crowned Pigeon (Goura victoria)
    15. Brush-tailed Bettong (Pettongia penicillata)

One-Zoo Wonder (1/1 challenges) COMPLETE
    Sharknado (6/6)

The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (9/12) 2/4 Mammals 4/4 Birds 3/4 Herps
    1. Rodrigues Fruit Bat (Pteropus rodricensis)
    2. Blue-crowned Motmot (Momotus momota)
    3. Curl-crested Aracari (Pteroglosssus beauharnaesii)
    4. Greater Roadrunner (Geococcyx californianus)
    5. Chinese Giant Salamander (Andrias davidianus)
    6. Frilled Lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii)
    7. Lake Titicaca Water Frog (Telmatobius culeus)
    8. Pygmy Hippo (Choeropsis liberiensis)
    9. Hamerkop (Scopus umbretta)

1. African White-bellied Tree Pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis)

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  13. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

St. Louis Zoo (12/29/2022)
    -MAMMALS

Have Trunk, Will Travel (2/4) 1/2 elephants (1/2) Tapirs
    2. Asian elephant (Elephas maximus)

Cat Got Your Tongue (8/9) 6/6 Pantherinae 2/3 Regional Small Cat
    8. Jaguar (Panthera onca)

An Unbearable Challenge (5/5) COMPLETE
    4. Andean bear (Tremarctos ornatus)
    5. Sun bear (Helarctos malayansus)

Ring ‘n Ruff (2/3) 1/1 Ring-tailed Lemur 1/2 Ruffed Lemurs
    2. Black and white ruffed lemur (Varecia variegata)

Puny Primates (5/6)
    4. Cotton-top tamarin (Saguinus oedipus)
    5. Geoffroy’s marmoset (Callithrix geoffroyi)

Three Little Pigs (3/3) COMPLETE
    3. North Sulawesi babirusa (Babyrousa celebensis)

Bovine Bonanza (15/20)
    9. Javan Banteng (Bos javanicus)
    10. Speke’s gazelle (Gazella spekei)
    11. Soemmerring’s gazelle (Nanger soemmerringii)
    12. Nile lechwe (Kobus megaceros)
    13. Southern lesser kudu (Tragelaphus imberbis australis)
    14. Chinese goral (Naemorhedus griseus)
    15. Transcaspian urial (Ovis vignei arkal)

-BIRDS
    Duck Dynasty (18/18) COMPLETE
    13. Trumpeter swan (Cygnus buccinator)
    14. Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)
    15. Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)
    16. Northern shoveler (Spatula clypeata)
    17. Hooded merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)
    18. Ruddy duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)

The Edgar Allen Poe (4/5) 2/2 Corvus 1/1 magpie 1/1 jay 0/1 bonus corvid
    4. Red-Billed Blue Magpie (Urocissa erythrorhyncha)

-ECTOTHERMS

Silk and Stinger (4/6) 3/3 spider 1/3 scorpion
    3. Red-knee tarantula (Brachypelma smithi)
    4. Flat rock scorpion (Hadogenes granulatus)

-MULTI-CLASS

Champion of the Sun (1/3)
    1. Sun bear (Helarctos malayansus)

The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (10/12) 3/4 Mammals 4/4 Birds 3/4 Herps
    10. Coquerel’s sifaka (Propithecus coquereli)

-MAMMALS

Have Trunk, Will Travel (2/4) 1/2 elephants (1/2) Tapirs
    1. Lowland Tapir (Tapirus terrestris)
    2. Asian elephant (Elephas maximus)

1. Grevy’s Zebra (Equus grevyi)

Cat Got Your Tongue (8/9) 6/6 Pantherinae 2/3 Regional Small Cat
    1. Amur Leopard (Panthera pardus orientalis)
    2. Lion (Panthera leo)
    3. Amur Tiger (Panthera tigris altaica)
    4. Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia)
    5. Clouded Leopard (Neogelis nebulosa)
    6. Black-footed cat (Felis nigripes)
    7. Canada Lynx (Lynx canadensis)
    8. Jaguar (Panthera onca)

2. Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis)
    3. Sloth Bear (Melursus ursinus)
    4. Andean bear (Tremarctos ornatus)
    5. Sun bear (Helarctos malayansus)

Ring ‘n Ruff (2/3) 1/1 Ring-tailed Lemur 1/2 Ruffed Lemurs
    1. Ring-tailed Lemur (Lemur catta)
    2. Black and white ruffed lemur (Varecia variegata)

Puny Primates (5/6)
    1. Callimico (Callimico goeldii)
    2. Pied Tamarin (Saguinus bicolor)
    3. Golden-headed Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysomelas)
    4. Cotton-top tamarin (Saguinus oedipus)
    5. Geoffroy’s marmoset (Callithrix geoffroyi)

Planet of the Apes (3/6) 2/3 Great Apes 1/3 Gibbons
    1. Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)
    2. Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes)
    3. White-cheeked Gibbon (Nomascus leucogenys)

1. Red River Hog (Potamochoerus porcus)
    2. Chacoan Peccary (Catagonus wagneri)
    3. North Sulawesi babirusa (Babyrousa celebensis)

1. Brookfield Zoo (6/3/22)

Bovine Bonanza (15/20)
    1. Addax (addax nasomaculatus)
    2. Gerenuk (Litocranius walleri)
    3. Nyala (Tragelaphus angasii)
    4. Kirk’s Dik-Dik (Madoqua kirkii)
    5. Klipspringer (Oreotragus oreotragus)
    6. Yellow-backed Duiker (Cephalophus silviculator)
    7. Red-flanked Duiker (Cephalophus rufilatus)
    8. Sichuan Takin (Budorcas taxicolor tibetana)
    9. Javan Banteng (Bos javanicus)
    10. Speke’s gazelle (Gazella spekei)
    11. Soemmerring’s gazelle (Nanger soemmerringii)
    12. Nile lechwe (Kobus megaceros)
    13. Southern lesser kudu (Tragelaphus imberbis australis)
    14. Chinese goral (Naemorhedus griseus)
    15. Transcaspian urial (Ovis vignei arkal)

1. Black-handed Spider Monkey (Ateles geoffroyi)

-BIRDS

You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (1/4)
    1. Ostrich (Struthio camelus)
    2. Emu (Dromaius novaehollandiae)

Rookery Roundabout (3/6)
    1. Magellanic penguin (Spheniscus magellanicus)
    2. Southern rockhopper penguin (Eudyptes chrysocome)
    3. Humboldt Penguin (Spheniscus humboldti)

1. Brazilian teal (Amazonetta brasiliensis)
    2. White-faced whistling duck (Dendrocygna viduata)
    3. Puna Teal (Spatula puna)
    4. Rosybill Pochard (Netta peposaca)
    5. Blue-winged Teal (Anas discors)
    6. Baer's Pochard (Aythya baeri)
    7. Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata)
    8. Blue-billed Teal (Spatula hottentota)
    9. Tundra swan (Cygnus columbianus)
    10. Black scoter (Melanitta americana)
    11. Redhead (Aythya americana)
    12. Wood duck (Chenonetta jubata)
    13. Trumpeter swan (Cygnus buccinator)
    14. Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)
    15. Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)
    16. Northern shoveler (Spatula clypeata)
    17. Hooded merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)
    18. Ruddy duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)

1. Snowy Owl (Nyctea scandiaca)
    2. Great horned owl (Bubo virginianus)
    3. Eastern screech owl (Megascops asio)
    4. Northern saw-whet owl (Aegolius acadicus)

Polly Wants 20 (2/20)
    1. Hawk-headed parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)

The Edgar Allen Poe (4/5) 2/2 Corvus 0/1 magpie 1/1 jay 0/1 bonus corvid
    1. Common Raven (Corvus corax)
    2. American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)
    3. Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)
    4. Red-Billed Blue Magpie (Urocissa erythrorhyncha)

1. Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)

-ECTOTHERMS

The Big Squeeze (3/5 constrictor snakes) 0/1 Anaconda, 1/1 Reticulated Python, 1/1 Burmese Python, 0/1 Boa Constrictor, 1/1 other boa or python
    1. Emerald tree boa (Corallus batesii)
    2. Reticulated Python (Python reticulatus)
    3. Burmese Python (Python bivittatus)

Slow and Steady (3/4) 1/2 Giant Tortoise 1/1 Madagascar Tortoise 1/1 Gopherus sp.
    1. Galapagos Tortoise (Chelonoidis vicina)
    2. Madagascar Spider Tortoise (Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides)
    3. Texas Tortoise (Gopherus berlandieri

The Sobek Six-Pack (3/6) 1/2 alligators, 0/2 gharials, 2/2 crocodiles
    1. American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)
    2. African Dwarf Crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis)
    3. Orinoco Crocodile (Crocodylus intermedius)

2/8 Rattlesnakes 3/4 Non-rattlesnake Vipers, 0/4 elapids 0/1 Komodo Dragon 1/1 Heloderma
    1. Santa Catalina Island Rattleless Rattlesnake (Crotalus catalinensis)
    2. Aruba Island Rattlesnake (Crotalus unicolor)
    3. Western Gaboon Viper (Bitis rhinoceros)
    4. Gila Monster (Heloderma suspectum)
    5. Eastern Massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)
    6. Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii)

1. Golden poison dart frog (Phyllobates terribilis)
    2. Splashback poison dart frog (Adelphobates galactonotus)
    3. Black-legged poison dart frog (Phyllobates bicolor)
    4. Yellow-headed dart frog (Dendrobates leucomelas)
    5. Phantasmal dart frog (Epipedobates anthonyi)
    6. Dyeing poison dart frog (Dendrobates tinctorius)

Sharknado (6/6) COMPLETE
    1. Bonnethead shark (Sphyrna tiburo)
    2. Zebra shark (Stegostoma tigrinum)
    3. Blacktip reef shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus)
    4. Sandbar shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus)

Silk and Stinger (4/6) 3/3 spider 1/3 scorpion
    1. Goliath bird-eater tarantula (Theraphosa blondi)
    2. Greenbottle blue tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
    3. Red-knee tarantula (Brachypelma smithi)
    4. Flat rock scorpion (Hadogenes granulatus)

1. Flamboyant cuttlefish (Metasepia pfefferi)

-MULTI-CLASS

1. Sun bear (Helarctos malayansus)

Cold as Ice (2/3)
    2. Snowy Owl (Nyctea scandiaca)

The Steve Irwin (15/15) (5/5) mammals (5/5) birds (5/5) reptiles/amphibians COMPLETE
    1. Red-bellied short-necked turtle (Emydura subglobosa)
    2. Fly river turtle (Carettochelys insculpta)
    3. Western Gray Kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus)
    4. Bennett’s Wallaby (Macropus rufogriseus)
    5. Magnificent Tree Frog (Litoria splendida)
    6. Woma Python (Aspidites ramsayi)
    7. Green Tree Python (Chondropython viridis)
    8. Short-beaked Echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus)
    9. Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae)
    10. Southern Hairy-Nosed Wombat (Lasiorhinus latifrons)
    11. Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides)
    12. Beautiful Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus pulchellus)
    13. Blue-faced Honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis)
    14. Victoria Crowned Pigeon (Goura victoria)
    15. Brush-tailed Bettong (Pettongia penicillata)

Sharknado (6/6)

The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (10/12) 3/4 Mammals 4/4 Birds 3/4 Herps
    1. Rodrigues Fruit Bat (Pteropus rodricensis)
    2. Blue-crowned Motmot (Momotus momota)
    3. Curl-crested Aracari (Pteroglosssus beauharnaesii)
    4. Greater Roadrunner (Geococcyx californianus)
    5. Chinese Giant Salamander (Andrias davidianus)
    6. Frilled Lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii)
    7. Lake Titicaca Water Frog (Telmatobius culeus)
    8. Pygmy Hippo (Choeropsis liberiensis)
    9. Hamerkop (Scopus umbretta)
    10. Coquerel’s sifaka (Propithecus coquereli)

1. African White-bellied Tree Pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis)

-------------------------
    (Not attempted: 2)

Partially Completed (22/29)

Have Trunk, Will Travel (2/4)
    Cat Got Your Tongue (8/9)
    An Unbearable Challenge (3/5)
    Ring ‘n Ruff (2/3)
    Puny Primates (5/6)
    Planet of the Apes (3/6)
    Bovine Bonanza (15/20)
    You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (2/4)
    Rookery Roundabout (3/6)
    Parliament Is Now In Session (4/6)
    The Edgar Allen Poe (4/5)
    Polly Wants 20 (2/20)
    The Big Squeeze (3/5 constrictor snakes)
    Slow and Steady (3/4)
    The Sobek Six-Pack (3/6)
    Silk and Stinger (4/6)
    Cold as Ice (2/3)
    The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (10/12)

Completed Trials - (12/36)
    Sharknado (6/6) COMPLETE
    The Steve Irwin (15/15) COMPLETE

And that is it for me for this year! Thanks a lot to @Coelacanth18 for such a fun and innovative challenge this year. I can't wait to read the new thread! (Well, as it is posted I technically can, I'm just refraining until I'm done with my posts for this year)

Last edited: 31 Dec 2022
    Coelacanth18 likes this.
  14. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My apologies for the last minute post to this competition. It's something that has been on my radar, but kept getting pushed off as it has been a busy second half of the year between moving across the country and starting a new job. I still wanted to post and participate! I did manage to complete the challenge as well! A two-week road trip in Texas surely is the only reason. With 30 minutes to spare (on the east coast)...here is my list. (If I missed the official end time depending on time zone/cut off, oh well. Still wanted to compile my list).

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION: Just update the list after each visit. Bad idea to wait until the last day. I was trying to play catch up with my visits since I discovered the competition half way through the year, but just compounded the issue.

Happy New Year everyone!

Completed - 36/36

MAMMALS
    Have Trunk, Will Travel (4/4) - COMPLETED
    1. African Elephant (Loxodonta africana) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    3. Malayan Tapir (Tapirus indicus) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    4. Baird’s Tapir (Tapirus bairdii) -.Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    White with Black Stripes or Black with White Stripes (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. Grant’s Zebra (Equus burchelli) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Grevy’s Zebra (Equus grevyi) - Caldwell Zoo (6/20/22)
    3. Hartmann’s Mountain Zebra (Equus zebra) - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (6/13/22)
    Cat Got Your Tongue (9/9) - COMPLETED
    1. African Lion (Panthera leo) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Sumatran Tiger (Panthera tigris) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    4. Amur Leopard (Panthera Pardus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    5. Snow Leopard (Panthera uncia) - Wildwood Wildlife Park (7/5/22)
    6. Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    7. Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    8. Black-footed Cat (Felis nigripes) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    9. Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx) - The Texas Zoo (6/16/22)
    An Unbearable Challenge (5/5) - Completed
    1. Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. American Black Bear (Ursus americanus) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    3. Malayan Sun Bear (Helarctos malayanus) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    4. Kodiak Bear (Ursus arctos) - Wildwood Zoo (7/5/22)
    5. Spectacled Bear (Tremarctos ornatus) - San Antonio Zoo (6/18/22)
    Ring ‘n Ruff (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. Ring-tailed Lemur (Lemur catta) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    2. Red Ruffed Lemur (Varecia rubra) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    3. Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur (Varecia variegata) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    Puny Primates (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. Cotton-top Tamarin (Saguinus oedipus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Common Marmoset (Callithrix jacchus) - Alameda Park Zoo (6/12/22)
    3. White-fronted Marmoset (Callithrix geoffroyi) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    4. Golden Lion Tamarin (Leontopithecus rosalia) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    5. Red-handed Tamarin (Saguinus midas) - The Texas Zoo (6/16/22)
    6. Bearded Emperor Tamarin (Saguinus imperator) - Dallas Zoo (6/22/22)
    Planet of the Apes (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22
    2. Sumatran Orangutan (Pongo abelii) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    3. Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    4. Pileated Gibbon (Hylobates pileatus) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    5. Siamang (Symphalangus syndactylus) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    6. Mueller’s Gibbon (Hylobates muelleri) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22
    Three Little Pigs (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. Warthog (Phacochoerus africanus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Red River Hog (Potamochoerus porcus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Collared Peccary (Dicotyles tajacu) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    Another Dang Meerkat (4/4) - COMPLETED
    1. El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    2. Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    3. Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    4. Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    Bovine Bonanza (Bovidae family) (20/20) - COMPLETED
    1. Addra Gazelle (Nanger dama) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Lesser Kudu (Tragelaphus imberbis) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Bongo (Tragelaphus eurycerus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    4. Scimitar-horned Oryx (Oryx dammah) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    5. Blue Duiker (Philantomba monticola) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    6. Kirk’s Dik-Dik (Madoqua kirkii) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    7. Common Eland (Taurotragus oryx) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    8. Aoudad (Ammotragus lervia) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    9. American Bison (Bison bison) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    10. Gaur (Bos gaurus) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    11. Addax (Addax nasomaculatus) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    12. Common Wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus) - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (6/13/22)
    13. Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra) - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (6/13/22)
    14. Mouflon (Ovis gmelini) - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (6/13/22)
    15. Red Lechwe (Kobus leche) - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (6/13/22)
    16. Harnessed Bushbuck (Tragelaphus scriptus) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    17. Nyala (Tragelaphus angasii) - Wild Animal Safari Aggieland (6/14/22)
    18. Sable Antelope (Hippotragus niger) - Wild Animal Safari Aggieland (6/14/22)
    19. Arabian Oryx (Oryx leucoryx) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    20. Nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    Late to the Party (8/8) - COMPLETED
    1. Black-handed Spider Monkey (Ateles geoffroyi) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    2. American Black Bear (Ursus americanus) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    3. American Bison (Bison bison) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    4. American Elk (Cervus canadensis) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    5. Gray Fox (urocyon cinereoargenteus) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    6. North American Porcupine (Erethizon dorsathum) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    7. Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    8. Bobcat (Lynx rufus) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    Birds
    You Must Be This Tall to (Not) Fly (4/4) - COMPLETED
    1. Ostrich - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Emu - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Greater Rhea (Rhea americana) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    4. Double-Wattled Cassowary (Casuaris casuaris) - (6/17/22)
    Pretty in Pink (4/4) - COMPLETED
    1. American (Phoenicopterus ruber) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    2. Chilean (Phoemicopterus chilensis) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Greater (Phoenicopterus reseus) - San Antonio Zoo (6/18/22)
    4. Lesser (Phoeniconaias minor) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    Rookery Roundabout (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. Humboldt Penguin (Spheniscus humboldti) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. King Penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Gentoo Penguin (Pygoscelis papua) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    4. Macaroni Penguin (Eudyptes chrysolophus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    5. Chinstrap Penguin (Pygoscelis antarctica) - Moody Gardens (6/16/22)
    6. Rockhopper Penguin (Eudyptes chrysocome) - SeaWorld San Antonio (6/19/22)
    Duck Dynasty (order Anseriformes) (18/18) - COMPLETED
    1. Orinoco Goose (Neochen jubata) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Magpie Goose (Anseranas semipalmata) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Ruddy Shelduck (Tadorna ferruginea) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    4. Black Swan (Cygnus atratus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    5. Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    6. Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) - Ralph Mitchell Zoo (6/10/22)
    7. Coscoroba Swan (Coscoroba coscoroba) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    8. Madagascar Teal (Anas bernieri) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    9. Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    10. Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    11. Magpie Goose (Anseranas semipalmata) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    12. Maccoa Duck (Oxyura maccoa) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    13. White-faced Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna viduata) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    14. South American Comb Duck (Sarkidiornis sylvicola) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    15. Argentine Lake Duck (Oxyura vittata) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    16. Baer’s Pochard (Aythya baeri) - Moody Gardens (6/16/22)
    17. Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata) - Moody Gardens (6/16/22)
    18. Black-bellied Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis) - The Texas Zoo (6/16/22)
    Parliament Is Now In Session (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. Barred Owl (Strix varia) - Prairie Park Nature Center (6/10/22)
    2. Barn Owl - (Tyto alba) - Prairie Park Nature Center (6/10/22)
    3. Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    4. Western Screech Owl (Otus kennicottii) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    5. Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    6. Eastern Screech Owl (Megascops asio) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    Polly Wants 20 (order Psittaciformes) (20/20) - COMPLETED
    1. Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus moluccanus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. African Gray Parrot (Psittacus erithacus) - Prairie Park Nature Center (6/10/22)
    3. Scarlet Macaw (Ara macao) - Hillcrest Park Zoo (6/11/22)
    4. Military Macaw (Ara militaris) - Hillcrest Park Zoo (6/11/22)
    5. Eleonora Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    6. Lilac-crowned Amazon (Amazona finschi) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    7. Blue & Gold Macaw (Ara ararauna) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    8. Bare-eyed Cockatoo (Cacatua sanguinea) - Fossil Rim Wildlife Center (6/13/22)
    9. Eclectus Parrot (Electus roratus) - Wild Animal Safari Aggieland (6/14/22)
    10. Yellow-shouldered Amazon (Amazona barbadensis) - Wild Animal Safari Aggieland (6/14/22)
    11. Umbrella Cackatoo (Cacatua alba) - Franklin Drive-Thru Safari (6/14/22)
    12. Moluccan Cockatoo (Cacatua moluccensis) - Bears Creek Pioneers Park Wildlife Habitat (6/14/22)
    13. Blue-throated Macaw (Ara glaucogularis) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    14. Green-winged Macaw (Ara chloropterus) - Texas State Aquarium (6/17/22)
    15. Yellow-naped Amazon (Amazona auropalliata) - The Texas Zoo (6/16/22)
    16. Sun Conure (Aratinga solstitialis) - The Texas Zoo (6/16/22)
    17. Blue-headed Macaw (Primolius coulani) - Animal World & Snake Farm (6/18/22)
    18. Hyacinth Macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus) - Animal World & Snake Farm (6/18/22)
    19. Rose-breasted Cockatoo (Eolophus roseicapilla) - Animal World & Snake Farm (6/18/22)
    20. Palm Cockatoo (Probosciger aterrimus) - San Antonio Zoo (6/18/22)
    The Alfred Russell Wallace (1/1) - COMPLETED
    1. Raggiana Bird-of-Paradise (Paradisaea raggiana) - San Antonio Zoo (6/18/22)
    The Edgar Allen Poe (5/5) - COMPLETED
    1. Chihuahuan Raven (Corvus cryptoleucus) - Hillcrest Park Zoo (6/11/22)
    2. Common Raven (Corvus corax) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    3. Black-throated Magpie Jay (Calocitta colliei) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    4. Plush-crested Jay (Cyanocorax chrysops) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    5. White-necked Raven (Corvus albicollis) - Animal World & Snake Farm (6/18/22)
    Nighttime Birding (1/1) - COMPLETED
    1. Tawny Frogmouth (Podargus strigoides) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    ECTOTHERMS
    The Big Squeeze (5/5) - COMPLETED
    1. Yellow Anaconda (Eunectes notaeus) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    2. Reticulated Python (Malayopthon reticulatus) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    3. Burmese Python (Python bivittatus) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    4. Boa Constrictor (Boa constrictor) - Prairie Park Nature Center (6/10/22)
    5. Amazon Tree Boa (Corallus hortulana) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    Slow and Steady (4/4) - COMPLETED
    1. Galapagos Tortoise (Chelonoidis niger) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/13/22)
    2. Aldabra Tortoise (Geochelone gigantea) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Radiated Tortoise (Geochelone radiate) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    4. Bolson Tortoise (Gopherus flavomarginatus) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    The Sobek Six-Pack (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    2. Chinese Alligator (Alligator sinensis) - Ellen Trout Zoo (6/20/22)
    3. Indian Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus) - San Antonio Zoo (6/18/22)
    4. Sunda Gharial (Tomistoma schlegelii) - San Antonio Zoo (6/18/22)
    5. African Dwarf Crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    6. Orinoco Crocodile (Crocodylus intermedius) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    One Drop, One Life (18/18) - COMPLETED
    1. Western Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    2. Banded/Mottled Rock Rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    3. Black-tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus molossus) - Living Desert Zoo & State Park (6/11/22)
    4. Mojave Desert Sidewinder (Crotalus cerastes) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    5. Aruba Island Rattlesnake (Crotalus unicolor) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    6. Chihuahuan Ridgenose Rattlesnake (Crotalus willardi) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    7. Mojave Rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    8. Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    9. Trans-Pecos Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    10. Mangshan Pitviper (Protobothrops mangshanensis) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    11. Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    12. Mexican Black-tail Horned Pitviper (Mixcoatlus melanurus) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    13. Red Spitting Cobra (Naja pallida) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    14. Black Tail Jameson’s Mamba (Dendroaspis jamesoni) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    15. Moroccan Cobra (Naja haje) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    16. King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    17. Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodoensis) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    18. Chiapan Beaded Lizard (Heloderma alvarezi) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    Pick Your Poison (family Dendrobatidae or Mantellidae) (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. Green Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates auratus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Blue Poison Dart Frog (Dendrobates azureus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Bumble Bee Dart Frog (Dendrobates leucomelas) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    4. Anthony’s Poison Dart Frog (Epipedobates anthonyi) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    5. Splashback Poison Dart Frog (Adelphobates galactonotus) - Dallas Zoo (6/22/22)
    6. Golden Poison Dart Frog (Phyllobates terribilis) - SeaWorld San Antonio (6/19/22)
    Sharknado (superfamily Selachimorpha) (4/4) - COMPLETED
    1. White-spotted Bamboo Shark (Chiloscyllium plagiosum) - Texas State Aquarium (6/17/22)
    2. Epaulette Shark (Hemiscyllium ocellatum) - Texas State Aquarium (6/17/22)
    3. Brown Shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus) - Texas State Aquarium (6/17/22)
    4. Nurse Shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum) - Texas State Aquarium (6/17/22)
    Silk and Stinger (order Araneae & Scorpiones) (6/6) - COMPLETED
    1. Chilean Rose-haired Tarantula (Grammostola rosea) - Prairie Park Nature Center (6/10/22)
    2. Honduran Curlyhair Tarantula (Tliltocati albopilosus) - Prairie Park Nature Center (6/10/22)
    3. Texas Tan Tarantula (Aphonopelma anax) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    4. Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus longimanus) - Fort Worth Zoo (6/21/22)
    5. Emperor Scorpion Scorpion (Pandinus imperator) - Dallas Zoo (6/22/22)
    6. Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) - Texas Discovery Gardens (6/22/22)
    Release the Kraken (1/1) (class Cephalopoda) - COMPLETED
    1. Giant Pacific Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini) - Dallas World Aquarium (6/22/22)
    MULTI-CLASS
    The Kingmaker (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    2. King Penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. King Vulture (Sarcoramphus papa) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    Cold as Ice (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Arctic Fox (Vulpes lagopus) - Staten Island Zoo (3/23/22)
    3. Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) - Zollman Zoo (2/14/22)
    Champion of the Sun (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. Sunbittern (Eurypyga helias) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    2. Sun Conure (Aratinga solstitialis) - The Texas Zoo (6/16/22)
    3. Malayan Sun Bear (Helarctos malayanus) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    The Steve Irwin (15/15) - COMPLETED
    1. Matschie’s Tree Kangaroo (Dendrolagus matschiei) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Bennett’s Wallaby (Macropus rufogriseus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    3. Parma Wallaby (Macropus parma) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    4. Red Kangaroo (Osphranter rufus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    5. Dama Wallaby (Notamacropus eugenii) - Ralph Mitchell Zoo (6/10/22)
    6. Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus moluccanus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    7. Black Swan (Cygnus atratus) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    8. Magpie Goose (Anseranas semipalmata) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    9. Silver Gull (Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    10. Laughing Kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    11. Woma Python (Aspidites ramsayi) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    12. Crested Gecko (Correlophus ciliatus) - Amarillo Zoo (6/11/22)
    13. Solomon Islands Skink (Corucia zebrata) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    14. Ridge-tailed Monitor (Varanus acanthurus) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    15. Boelen’s Python (Simalia boeleni) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    One-Zoo Wonder (1/1) - COMPLETED
    1. Planet of the Apes
    The Coelacanth Stamp of Approval (12/12) - 4 from each group - COMPLETED
    Mammals
    1. Lion-tailed Macaque - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta) - Animal World & Snake Farm (6/18/22)
    3. Pygmy Hippo (Choeropsis liberiensis) - Houston Zoo (6/15/22)
    4. Jamaican Fruit Bat (Artibeus jamaicensis) - Cameron Park Zoo (6/14/22)
    Birds
    1. Hamerkop - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)
    2. Blue-crowned Motmot (Momotus coeruliceps) - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    3. Greater Roadrunner - El Paso Zoo (6/12/22)
    4. Guianan Toucanet (Selenidera piperivora) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    Herps
    1. Frilled Lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii) - Fort Worth Zoo (6/21/22)
    2. Mangshan Pitviper (Protobothrops mangshanensis) - Abilene Zoo (6/13/22)
    3. Lake Titicaca Water Frog (Telmatobius culeus) - Fort Worth Zoo (6/21/22)
    4. Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) - Ralph Mitchell Zoo (6/10/22)
    Bona Fide Rarity Hunter (3/3) - COMPLETED
    1. Brown-throated Sloth (Bradypus variegatus) - Dallas World Aquarium (6/22/22)
    2. Harnessed Bushbuck (Tragelaphus scriptus) - Gladys Porter Zoo (6/17/22)
    3. Halys Viper (Gloydius halys) - San Antonio - 6/18/22
    Breakfast of Champions/TinoPup’s Namesake Challenge (1/1) Domestic Dog - COMPLETED
    1. Dingo (Canis familiaris) - Kansas City Zoo (6/10/22)

15. Coelacanth18

Sorry for not doing a recap and closing out of this thread on New Year's, everyone. It's been a busy few weeks for me, so I'm behind on finalizing scores and doing the stats. I'll try and get something up this weekend or next week.

I'm jealous; this was a very cool species that wasn't visible on my February visit.

16. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely a very cool little bird. I remember doubling back and watching it for a while as I wasn't sure if I had ever seen one before. Too bad its exhibit does not lend itself well to photos! The pictures I took of the bird do not do it justice.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  17. Coelacanth18

Alright – stats time. I’ll be completely honest: it’s been a chaotic and exhausting several weeks for me, and I have other projects that need my attention now – so this will be more of a "highlights reel" than a comprehensive dive.

First of all, congratulations to those who finished. Our official winner was @Kudu21, who completed all 36 trials by May 28 – the first person to do so. Four other people also completed all 36 by the end of the year, and will be considered “co-winners” or “secondary winners”:

@SusScrofa – finished June 30
    @Nicholas LionRider – finished September 15
    @TinoPup – finished October 20

@NSU42 apparently also finished (on July 5, although it took me till New Year's Eve to find out :rolleyes:) and with all but four species gotten in 2 weeks! Most of those were in Texas, also where Kudu got many of their zoos - coincidence, or is the Lone Star State truly stacked?

Not gonna lie, I did not expect that five people would finish… but this was a test run of the concept and most people seemed to enjoy it, so water under the bridge!

These are the standings for everyone else who participated.

I’m not going to count the total number of zoos visited, but it was well over a hundred. The average number of zoos visited per participant was 10, and the average number of challenges completed was 19/36. Unsurprisingly, there was a positive correlation between visiting more zoos and completing more challenges; I suspect this is true every year, but to actually have the data is cool. The most visited zoo was Bronx, which 8 participants counted species from in 2022.

Now, for the challenges. As I said, I’m not going to go over the results of all 36 – so I’ll cover the easiest ones, the more difficult ones, and species lists from a handful.

The Easiest

The most completed challenge was One Zoo Wonder, which 24 out of 28 participants completed. The majority used Sharknado to fulfill the requirement, which unsurprisingly was the second most completed with 23. Of any challenge, this is one I clearly could have set higher – but in fairness we don’t have a shark list on the forum, so I had no idea what the average aquarium had. Apparently, a lot more than four!

Rounding out the top five were Redemption Arc/Late to the Party, Release the Kraken, and Nighttime Birding – for returners, all of these were one-shot challenges for non-rare species.

The Most Difficult

The least completed challenge was Champion of the Sun, which amazingly only one person completed who didn’t also finish the other 35 (congrats, @red river hog). I looked at who got what for this challenge; Sunbittern was the most counted and Sun Bear the least, but the gap between all of them wasn’t that large.

The second most difficult challenge was the Coelacanth Stamp of Approval, which only 8 people completed. Sadly, I was among the 20 who did not :( A toucan and bat were the easiest for everyone at 23 each – plenty of common species to choose from – while the rarest were Secretarybird (7) and Lion-tailed Macaque (9).

Rounding out the bottom 5 were The Kingmaker and Cold as Ice – the other two multi-class trios – and the zebra challenge, surprisingly. Also, only 10 people completed Another Dang Meerkat - which I find very funny :p

Species Counted

I did species lists for 4 taxonomic trials: Edgar Allen Poe (corvids), Sharknado (sharks), Release the Kraken (cephalopods), and Silk & Stinger (arachnids). I did these because 1) they were smaller challenges so the tallying went faster, and 2) passerines, fish, and inverts are groups that we don’t have forum species lists for. The lists and how many times each species was counted are in the spoilers below:

Common Raven - 15
    Plush-crested Jay - 11
    Azure-winged Magpie - 10
    Red-billed Blue Magpie - 10
    Blue Jay - 9
    American Crow - 7
    Pied Crow - 6
    Green and Inca Jays - 5
    White-necked Raven - 4
    Black-throated Magpie-jay - 3
    Fish Crow - 3
    Black-billed Magpie - 2
    Chihuahuan Raven - 2

Giant Pacific Octopus (Enteroctopus dofleini) - 17
    East Pacific Red Octopus (Octopus rubescens) - 1
    Flamboyant Cuttlefish (Metasepia pfefferi) - 1
    Common Cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis) - 1
    Bigfin Reef Squid (Sepioteuthis lessoniana) - 1

11 - Blacktip Reef Shark, Epaulette Shark, White-spotted Bamboo Shark
    9 - Sandbar Shark, Sand Tiger Shark
    7 - Nurse Shark
    6 - Bonnethead Shark, Leopard Shark, Zebra Shark
    5 - Swell Shark
    3 - Blacknose Shark, Coral Catshark, Horn Shark
    2 - Broadnose Sevengill Shark, Brown-banded Bamboo Shark, Great Hammerhead, Port Jackson Shark, Smooth Hammerhead, Spotted Wobbegong, Whitetip Reef Shark
    1 - Bull Shark, Chain Catshark, Dusky Smooth Dogfish, Ornate Wobbegong, Pyjama Shark, Scalloped Hammerhead, Silky Shark, Tasselled Wobbegong

6 - Mexican Redknee Tarantula (Brachypelma hamorii/smithii)
    5 - Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater (Lasiodora parahybana)
    4 - Brazilian Black Tarantula (Grammostola pulchra)
    3:
    Arizona Blond Tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes)
    Brazilian Whiteknee Tarantula (Acanthoscurria geniculata)
    Chilean Rosehair Tarantula (Grammostola rosea)
    Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa blondi)
    Mexican Fireleg Tarantula (Brachypelma boehmei)
    2:
    Entre Rios Tarantula (Grammostola iheringi)
    Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa)
    Western Black Widow (Latrodectus hesperus)
    Gooty Sapphire Tarantula (Poecilotheria metallica)
    Curlyhair Tarantula (Tliltocatl albopilosus)
    Indian Ornamental Tarantula (Poecilotheria regalis)
    Texas Brown Tarantula (Aphonopelma hentzi)
    1:
    Brilliant Jumping Spider (Phidippus clarus)
    Texas Tan Tarantula (Aphonopelma anax)
    Antilles Pinktoe Tarantula (Caribena versicolor)
    Mexican Red Rump Tarantula (Brachypelma vagans)
    Costa Rican Zebra Tarantula (Aphonopelma seemanni)
    Greenbottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
    Orange Baboon Tarantula (Pterinochilus murinus)
    Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula (Monocentropus balfouri)
    Southern House Spider (Kukulcania hibernalis)
    Giant Golden Orbweaver (Nephila pilipes)
    Chaco Golden Knee Tarantula (Grammostola pulchripes)
    Cobalt Blue Tarantula (Cyriopagopus lividus)
    Chilean Copper Tarantula (Phrixotrichus scrofa)
    Golden Silk Orbweaver (Trichonephila clavipes)
    Hispaniolan Giant Tarantula (Phormictopus cancerides)
    Thailand Zebra Leg Tarantula (Cyriopagopus albostriatus)
    Burgundy Goliath Birdeater (Theraphosa stirmi)
    11 - Emperor Scorpion (Pandinus imperator)
    8 - Asian Forest Scorpions (Heterometrus spinifer and petersii)
    7 - Giant Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis)
    6 - Arizona Bark Scorpion (Centruroides sculpturatus)
    5 - Flat Rock Scorpion (Hadogenes troglodytes)
    3 - Stripe-tailed Scorpion (Paravaejovis spinigerus)
    2 - Striped Bark Scorpion (Centruroides vittatus), Fattail Scorpion (Androctonotus australis/amoreuxi)
    1:
    Philippine Forest Scorpion (Palamneus fulvipes)
    Big Bend Scorpion (Diplocentrus whitei)
    Brown Bark Scorpion (Centruroides gracilis)
    Tanzanian Red-clawed Scorpion (Pandinus cavimanus)
    Indian Red Scorpion (Hottentotta tamulus)
    Shiny Burrow Scorpion (Opistophthalmus glabifrons)

And then finally, I did my best at recreating a complete list of every species counted for Bona Fide Rarity Hunter. In the spoiler below is the species; what zoo it counted for; and how many people counted it.

Platypus - San Diego Zoo Safari Park - 4
    Ring-tailed Vontsira - Bronx - 4
    Aardwolf - Cincinnati - 3
    White-bellied Pangolin - Brookfield - 3
    Antelope Jackrabbit - Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - 2
    Bloodybelly Comb Jelly - Monterey Bay - 2
    Blue Whistling Thrush - Bronx - 2
    Chamois - Toronto - 2
    Ferruginous Pygmy-owl - Phoenix Zoo - 2
    Golden-bellied Mangabey - Cleveland Metroparks - 2
    Kimberley Snake-necked Turtle - National Aquarium - 2
    Shenandoah Salamander - Smithsonian Zoo - 2
    African Clawless Otter - Metro Richmond - 1
    African Darter - San Diego Zoo - 1
    Angolan Garter Snake - Sedgwick County - 1
    Bald Uakari - Los Angeles Zoo - 1 (now deceased)
    Black Brotula - New England Aquarium - 1
    Black-chested Buzzard Eagle - African Lion Safari - 1
    Bull Shark - Oklahoma Aquarium - 1
    Halys Pitviper - San Antonio Zoo - 1
    Harnessed Bushbuck - Gladys Porter - 1
    Long-wattled Umbrellabird - Dallas World Aquarium - 1
    Northern Hawk-owl - World Bird Sanctuary - 1
    Oriental Stork - Louisville - 1
    Pale Spear-nosed Bat - Zoo Miami - 1
    Peppermint Angelfish - California Academy of Sciences - 1
    Puerto Rican Parrot - Lincoln Park (Chicago) - 1
    Red-headed Vulture - World Bird Sanctuary - 1
    San Marcos Salamander - Meadows Center (Texas) - 1
    Scaly-breasted Lorikeet - Turtle Bay (California) - 1
    Sulawesi Bear Cuscus - Memphis - 1
    Travancore Tortoise - Philadelphia - 1
    Vicuna - Southwick's - 1
    Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Bay Beach (Wisconsin) - 1

And that should be it! Hope everyone had fun, and if you haven’t checked out the 2023 challenge yet I encourage you to do so :)

18. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some of us didn’t see a single meerkat the whole year :eek:

IndianRhino likes this.
  19. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you @Coelacanth18 for an incredible, unique challenge for this year! It was a lot of fun to participate in, and I really enjoyed the new format.

The one piece of advice I'd have for future challenges of this format, however, something that was a little bit of a frustration (in this challenge and also looking at the list for this year's global challenge), is the number of species that count for multiple challenges- especially those species "singled out" as the only one that can count for a challenge. For example, the King Penguin counted for Kingmaker, but there was also a specific challenge for Penguins already, which meant that someone who isn't able to see a King Penguin is unable to complete not just one, but two, challenges (yes- I'm aware king wasn't a necessity for Rookery Roundabout, but it'd be very difficult to complete without that species). Overall, there were only a few species like that in this challenge, but it's something that was on my mind from looking at @ThylacineAlive's global challenge for this year, which has a little bit more overlap, so figured I'd mention it as an over-arching piece of feedback for anyone running similar challenges in the future.

As for how I did in this year's challenge, it's pretty clear I should've prioritized visiting Southwicks Zoo this spring/summer when I had the chance. Had I gotten this one more zoo in, I would've completed at least four more challenges that I was one species short on: Bonafide Rarity Hunter (Vicuna), Planet of the Apes (Chimpanzee), Puny Primates (Common Marmoset), and Have Trunk, Will Travel (Brazilian Tapir). Overall, however, I did much better than I was expecting to this year (an impromptu 3-hour road trip to Cleveland helped a lot with that). Now on to next year! Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to be hitting my first zoo of the year, which should give me an extremely big start to the primates challenge, with a grand total of zero primate species possible!

iluvwhales and Corangurilla like this.
  20. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I must say I am pleasantly surprised at how far I've advanced in this challenge, a great first shot at a ZC challenge for me. A moemnt of silence for the sun bear, lesser flamingo, and SOuth American tapirs that are scarce in the Northeast... I realize for the Steve Irwin Challenge you said we didn't have to say 'Crikey" and for the Alfred Russell Wallace challenge you said we had to thank the guy, but I went ahead and did it anyway. Below is a link to the video I took of me saying "Crikey" to all the Australian animals and thanking Alfred Russell Wallace upon seeing the raggiana bird of paradise. I hope any Australians watching will forgive my atrocious hammy accent and impression LOL. In conclusion, I'd just like to say: "five zoos in New York City, you'd think one of them would have a crow, raven, or gopher tortoise!"

https://youtube.com/shorts/PXL227RElG8?feature=share