Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Grand Final: Prague vs Berlin Zoo

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 15 May 2018.

?

Who wins the ZooChat Cup?

Poll closed 18 May 2018.
  1. Berlin Zoo

53.5%
  2. Prague

46.5%
  1. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

I would like to second this notion! I am constantly amazed that Berlin gets away with their non approvement (to be kind here) of their carnivore section which by way of their plans for the near future does not improve much either.

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I also switched. to make it 18-18 last night! I think Prague's carnivore enclosures were a step above Berlin's, while Berlin's birds were only slightly ahead of Prague's.

Unfortunately I won't be able to see who won this poll until tonight, but it's for a good reason, I'm off to New York to see the Bronx Zoo! I wouldn't be surprised if Berlin could win it back, however.

CGSwans likes this.
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No pressure folks but there's barely two hours left and one decision could literally determine who wins the entire Cup. If you have a case to make for your choice, well, it's now or never.

4. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You are right. To be honest, when revisiting both zoos in my mind I drew a complete blank on Prague's carnivore house (as in: I didn't even remember it existed). In fact, I was comparing Berlin against the leopard and tiger enclosures on and behind the hill, the cheetah enclosure in the lower section, and to a lesser extent the hyenas near the elephants, all of which are imo nice though not necessarily excellent enclosures. This does shift the comparison between the zoos for me, but not the verdict.
    Prague actually has quite a few such remnants from the past that should be considered as inadequate today (as do most zoos). But Berlin seems to embrace this past as if it were the future, while in Prague these remnants seem to be just that, remnants, and the zoo feels very much like it is moving forward. In sum, I just can't identify with Berlin's vision of the future of zoo's and the traces this - imo - outdated vision is leaving in the zoo, whereas Prague's vision and traces of it in the zoo are much more aligned to what I am looking for.

Last edited: 18 May 2018
    Mr. Zootycoon and SabineB like this.
  5. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Alright, I switched to Berlin after all of these very convincing arguments.

6. CGSwans

45 minutes, Prague supporters. Convince me.

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Quality of zoo gift shops Prague >>> Berlin. ^^

FunkyGibbon and CGSwans like this.
  8. CGSwans

Congratulations Berlin Zoo. A worthy winner, having beaten zoos of such quality as Stuttgart, Cabarceno, Antwerp, Plzen, Burgers and most of all Prague, and many of them on categories where they'd be expected to do well.

That's a wrap for this edition of the ZooChat Cup . 1,183 replies, well over a thousand votes and some genuinely passionate debates later, I'd like to claim it as a successful first go.

I will do a second edition of the European Cup later this year, but before that I'll hand over to @pachyderm pro for a US edition. And @ZooBinh will be having a go at applying the concept to public aquaria some time after that.

When the game does eventually return to Europe it'll be with some major changes that, I hope, will lead to some closer contests, better debates and completely different factors to consider. But more on that anon.

Thanks for playing.

9. Rafiaan

Rafiaan Active Member

Thanks for the game, CGSwans. I only discovered the competition quite late and I haven't voted that much, but I have enjoyed it nevertheless. And what a final it was. It would be nice to see a second edition some day.

CGSwans likes this.
  10. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good game to all! I can't wait for the next few seasons!

CGSwans likes this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member