Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group A: Munich vs North Carolina

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 15 Sep 2019.

?

Munich vs North Carolina: Miscellaneous mammals

Poll closed 17 Sep 2019.
  1. Munich 3-0 North Carolina

88.9%
  2. Munich 2-1 North Carolina

11.1%
  3. North Carolina 2-1 Munich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. North Carolina 3-0 Munich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Let’s kick off the second round of matches. North Carolina. Munich. Miscellaneous mammals.

The rules:
    • You have three votes to award. If you think it's a tight match, award 2 votes to the stronger zoo and 1 to the weaker one. But if you think it's a wider margin than that, award all 3 votes to the winner.
    • Your criteria for how you make your decision is entirely up to you, *except* that you must stay only within the given category. That includes ignoring the results of the other match: no strategic voting.
    • All votes are public, and all votes can be changed. The purpose of the game is to provoke debate, so make your case for why people should vote the same way as you do. Be open to reconsidering your vote.

2. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Voted 2-1 Munich for now. I am open to convincing.

3. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As with many zoos that are mostly outdoors, this is an extreme weakness of the NC Zoo. Vampire bat, rock hyrax & cape porcupine are the only species I can think of on display, with a few more species used in the education department.

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

That's unfortunate, because not only does Munich have a decent smattering of marsupials, it also has a nice selection of rodents.
    Highlights include mountain hare, Desmeret's hutia, alpine marmot, cape hyrax, fat sand rat and a good nocturnal bat exhibit.

ThylacineAlive, nczoofan and Brum like this.
  5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well only focusing on Africa and North America has its downsides (aka marsupials). Yet in a few years Australia will be added.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

North Carolina has been unlucky with the category draws - I suspect if it had hit both carnivores and ungulates it’d be romping into the next round. Alas, it looks very hard from here.

nczoofan likes this.
  7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even though ungulated agains Munich would be very tough, as Munich has some of the prettiest hoofstock enclosures in Europe.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

North Carolina is a fantastic zoo and I have fond memories from my 2010 visit. It's a big, 6-7 hour zoo with a ton of walking and I'm not sure that there is a poor exhibit in the entire 500 landscaped acres. In fact, I've repeatedly called North Carolina one of the Top 10 zoos in North America on numerous occasions over the years.

However...it is a zoo that is not really geared to do well in this type of competition. There are only around 250 species and the animal collection isn't vast enough to challenge in many categories in the ZooChat Cup. North Carolina will be eliminated, and that's fair enough, but nevertheless it truly is a must-see zoo and will only get better with the upcoming Australian and Asian continental additions. The zoo is so large that a few years from now it might become a struggle to see it all in a single day...and it will still likely have less than 300 species! It's like an American 'Berlin Tierpark' but with less animals. :p

I voted 3-0 Munich

Brum, amur leopard and nczoofan like this.