Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group B: Detroit vs Berlin Zoo

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 14 Aug 2019.

?

Detroit vs Berlin Zoo: Carnivores

Poll closed 17 Aug 2019.
  1. Berlin 3-0 Detroit

13.5%
  2. Berlin 2-1 Detroit

32.4%
  3. Detroit 2-1 Berlin

37.8%
  4. Detroit 3-0 Berlin

16.2%
  1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Like everyone else, I enjoyed GP's moral case, and I certainly believe (much more so than I did before) that this kind of work is something zoos should be doing. But, I am unconvinced that I see it as relevent to the question before us today, in the same way that I would be pretty sceptical if Detroit had a fantastic collection of rare domestic dog breeds on display and someone told me they 'counted' for the carnivore round.

ThylacineAlive and TeaLovingDave like this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Also having the poll results visible makes this much easier and more likely. When it comes to the "has to win because it's famous" zoos this will probably be an obvious effect.

ThylacineAlive and jayjds2 like this.
  3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

To offer a counter-view, if the round was ungulates and the zoo in question had a fantastic display of domestic hoofstock from a certain region or around the world (like at Sedgwick County Zoo in Kansas, for example), I *would* count that towards my decision, although I definitely wouldn't weight it as heavily as breeding endangered hoofstock.

nczoofan and jayjds2 like this.
  4. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Since criteria is entirely up to me for my vote, species totals, diversity and uniqueness will make up the overwhelming majority of my process.

12 species at Detroit compared to 26 at Berlin was how I came to my initial 3-0 vote. Although after reading through this thread I've decided to change my vote into 2-1 Berlin. I do have to consider Detroit for having my first and only Harp seal. Berlin similarly only produced 1 mammal lifer on my first visit (Narrow-striped mongoose). I also appreciate the exhibition dominance Detroit has over Berlin.

5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First of all, tactical voting is explicitly stated to be outside the rules of the game and I hope people pause to consider whether that is indeed what they are doing when they vote. Of course, we do operate on the honour system.

Second, the public voting is, in my view, an integral part of the game model precisely because it can make people more accountable for their vote, rather than being able to anonymously support their personally-favoured zoo.

This match isn’t a good example because there’s a genuine (and fascinating!) range of opinions, but there have been other matches where a consensus view swiftly emerged in favour of one zoo, and voters who had swum against that tide were asked to explain their reasons for doing so. Some might choose to change their votes, others might give their reasoning, but it’s an element of the game that wouldn’t be possible without public voting.

Coelacanth18 and TZDugong like this.
  6. Chlidonias

I do like the visible voting for those exact reasons (and I like to always provide my reason for my vote, even if it is a weak reason). I just think there are going to be some iffy rounds for certain zoos...

7. CGSwans

If people remember that it’s just a game, with no real-world accolade for their favourite zoo at stake then we should be fine.

snowleopard, Shorts and FunkyGibbon like this.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Forgive my ignorance, but how is the score tabulated? There are currently 35 votes in this match-up and thus, when you posted the comment above, how did you come up with a 41-40 score?

Also, does anyone actually vote strategically? Does that mean people would vote for a particular zoo just because they happen to prefer that zoo over the other, regardless of what the specific match-up is for the round? That would be silly and ethically wrong.

9. CGSwans

There have been more votes, and some changed votes since then. :)

The score is currently 55-50 in Detroit’s favour. Detroit gets to 55 as follows:
    6 x 3 votes (18)
    13 x 2 votes (26)
    11 x 1 vote (11)

18 + 26 + 11 = 55.

There’s a couple of ways that people could vote strategically, which I won’t spell out precisely because I don’t necessarily want to explain why they would work! ;) But as a general rule, if people are trying to vote to obtain a certain outcome, rather than based on a genuine consideration of the zoos’ strengths in the given category, then they are not playing the game correctly.

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've voted 2-1 for Berlin, mainly because of the collection held. Detroit get a point mainly for Arctic Ring Of Life, and I've stuck with this vote since the poll was posted despite the persuasive arguments in Detroit's favour.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  11. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@ThylacineAlive you want to know why I voted for Berlin? You want the truth?

:D

Seriously: see @Coelacanth18 's splendid reply.
    I rest my case.:cool:

12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm voting 2-1 for Berlin. I visited Detroit today (and have never visited Berlin) but Berlin clearly has the superior collection. Detroit may have great exhibits, but has a whopping 14 less species than Berlin. Also, the Polar Bear may enjoy a nice exhibit, but it is rarely seen. What's the point of having an underwater tunnel if you never see the bear?

13. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Final results:

Detroit Zoo: 58, Berlin Zoo: 53.

We have quite an upset here folks!

CGSwans likes this.
  14. Chlidonias

So does that mean Berlin is out for good, or can it come back somehow? I don't know sport stuff.

15. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's out for good.

But I thought the poll closed mid-day tomorrow?

~Thylo

16. Chlidonias

First post says 10pm Chicago-time.

17. CGSwans

No, they’re not. This is the group stage. Berlin still has matches against Wroclaw and San Diego Zoo Safari Park with which to qualify for the knockout stages.

snowleopard, Brum, TZDugong and 2 others like this.
  18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I still thought it was supposed to be the 17th.

Ah ok, I seem to have gotten mixed up over how the groupings all worked. Glad to hear Berlin has additional chances to win!

~Thylo

19. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As a matter of fact, Ingrid the Wonder Cat, who is lying right next to me as I type this, is an alumna of one of the Detroit Zoo's adoption fairs.