Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group G: Burgers vs Woodland Park

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 1 Sep 2019.

?

Burgers vs Woodland Park

Poll closed 3 Sep 2019.
  1. Burgers 3-0 Woodland Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Burgers 2-1 Woodland Park

95.2%
  3. Woodland Park 2-1 Burgers

4.8%
  4. Woodland Park 3-0 Burgers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Burgers. Woodland Park. Primates. World-changing great ape exhibits: who wore it better?

The rules:
    • You have three votes to award. If you think it's a tight match, award 2 votes to the stronger zoo and 1 to the weaker one. But if you think it's a wider margin than that, award all 3 votes to the winner.
    • Your criteria for how you make your decision is entirely up to you, *except* that you must stay only within the given category. That includes ignoring the results of the other match: no strategic voting.
    • All votes are public, and all votes can be changed. The purpose of the game is to provoke debate, so make your case for why people should vote the same way as you do. Be open to reconsidering your vote.
    Tags: I’ve decided to hold back the tagging unless a match is proceeding a little more slowly than I’d like.

Note: I’m going to experiment with pulling matches back to 2 days, give or take a few hours. The last day of any thread is pretty slow anyway. Can always increase it again if it has a negative effect on participation.

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Woodland Park species courtesy of @Anteaterman (Thread: Woodland Park Zoo - Species List 8/9/19 [Woodland Park Zoo])

Patas Monkey
    Golden Lion Tamarin
    White-Faced Saki
    Red-Ruffed Lemur
    Ring-Tailed Lemur
    Black-and-White Colobus
    Western Lowland Gorilla
    Siamang
    Francois Langur
    Orangutan

... only 10 species, a number that is quite low for a major American zoo. That being said, I've heard good things about Woodland Park's exhibits (especially for gorillas and orangutans) and their conservation work.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2019
  3. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don’t forget about the orangutans as well.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Burgers List according to Zootierliste:

Spectacled Langur
    Golden-bellied Mangabey
    Ring-tailed Lemur
    Peruvian Squirrel Monkey
    Common Chimpanzee
    Siamang
    Red-cheeked Gibbon
    Pig-tailed Macaque
    Western Lowland Gorilla

... and Burgers has 9 species. That is... also low for a major European zoo, I'm guessing?

What an interesting match.

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You misse the Black lemur, so also 10 species, all displayed in excellent enclosures.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I'm probably just about the only person on the planet that has visited both of these zoos in the past few weeks and I cannot for the life of me make a decision with this particular match-up. Both zoos have 10 primate species, including the fact that each zoo has two great ape species in very nice exhibits. Each zoo pioneered world-class Gorilla habitats in the 1970s, each has a Siamang exhibit that allows the apes to achieve some height, each has two lemur species in very good exhibits. Wow. I am going to have to think about this over the next day, but I can honestly say that a more evenly matched pair of zoos might be difficult to find. At the moment I'm probably leaning slightly in favour of Burgers' Zoo, as the Gorillas and Chimpanzees in Arnhem have larger exhibits than the Gorillas and Orangutans at Woodland Park, plus the Seattle zoo has its Golden Lion Tamarins and White-faced Sakis entirely indoors while all of the primates at Burgers are outside. For now I'll vote Burgers' Zoo, but this is a close one!

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Just for the record, I visited Burgers' Zoo, Netherlands, on August 6th and then Woodland Park Zoo, USA, on August 17th, just a couple of days after I returned from my 95-zoo European trek. I must be a crazy Canadian!*

*Once summer ends, I barely visit any zoos for an entire year

Brum likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I forgot to vote on this one, because I didn't know which way to go. But I guess that doesn't matter given the resounding win by Burgers!

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I forgot to vote as well. :p