Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Group H: Omaha vs Prague

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 4 Sep 2019.

?

Omaha vs Prague: Ectotherms

Poll closed 6 Sep 2019.
  1. Omaha 3-0 Prague

7.7%
  2. Omaha 2-1 Prague

61.5%
  3. Prague 2-1 Omaha

30.8%
  4. Prague 3-0 Omaha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

These two zoos could both win the whole thing, but they need to get through the group stage first. Omaha. Prague. Ectotherms.

The rules:
    • You have three votes to award. If you think it's a tight match, award 2 votes to the stronger zoo and 1 to the weaker one. But if you think it's a wider margin than that, award all 3 votes to the winner.
    • Your criteria for how you make your decision is entirely up to you, *except* that you must stay only within the given category. That includes ignoring the results of the other match: no strategic voting.
    • All votes are public, and all votes can be changed. The purpose of the game is to provoke debate, so make your case for why people should vote the same way as you do. Be open to reconsidering your vote.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  2. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While I remember the giant salamander and the gharial fondly, together with other bits and pieces (e.g. the terraria in the carnivore house), then the ok-ish komodo dragon enclosure, and the (then partially closed) terrarium/aquarium building a resounding dissappointment, I couldn't provide a summary of Prague's ectotherm collection in any meaningful sense of the word. Omaha, I suspect, could be a strong contender. Will wait with voting 'till I know more.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The latest figures I have is that Omaha, even without a Reptile House on the grounds, has 240 species of reptiles and amphibians and that is probably the #1 total of any zoo in North America and easily one of the top zoos on the planet in terms of overall species. There are many rarities, and the reptile/amphibian collection is spread throughout numerous buildings such as Lied Jungle, Kingdoms of the Night/Desert Dome, the full-size Scott Aquarium, Expedition Madagascar and Wild Kingdom Pavilion. There are vivariums everywhere at this zoo, with a Gray's Monitor exhibit inside the Orangutan House and a White-throated Monitor exhibit in the African Grasslands area. Some insects are ectotherms and Omaha has the Butterfly & Insect Pavilion with many butterfly species and around 35 invertebrate species.

Just looking at a fraction of the species at the zoo, and only seeing a slice of the Desert Dome collection, reveals this list: Common Death Adder, Rough-scaled Death Adder, Puff Adder, Angolan Python, Cape Coral Cobra, Black Mamba, Brown Tree Snake, King Brown Snake, Woma Python, Centralian Python, Collett's Snake, Banded Knob-tailed Gecko, Australian Tree Skink, Cunningham's Skink, Giant Mexican Horned Lizard, Frilled Lizard, Spiny-tailed Monitor and Perentie.

As things stand right now, I'll vote 3-0 for Omaha. The collection of ectotherms is extensive and in quality exhibits, and I'm not sure that there are many zoos on the planet that are even in the same ballpark as Omaha. Don't be deceived by the lack of a Reptile House, as on my last visit I counted at least 130 vivariums all around the zoo and that is not even including the fantastic Aquarium. That alone is a major attraction in its own right and packed with a large number of fish. I'd be intrigued to see if Prague is comparable to Omaha, or if there is indeed a zoo in the world (Wroclaw?) comparable to Omaha for ectotherms. This category is a strong one for Omaha as it plays to the zoo's strengths.

Brum likes this.
  4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This post has made me change my vote from 2-1 Prague to 2-1 Omaha, but I'm giving Prague some credit for having a giant salamander house along with the gharial pavilion. Two rarities given star billing and not just stuck in a reptile house, with what appear to be pretty good enclosures. What's not to love?

jayjds2 and Coelacanth18 like this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think I'm in a unique position of having visited all four zoos in Group H within the last two years! Prague I visited about a year ago now and Omaha I visited in May.

I have to leave for school shortly and therefore won't be able to provide full species lists until afterwards, but I will make full lists based on the taxa I noted there when I get the chance.

It should be noted, though, that Omaha is actively downsizing their herp collection due to collection size having taken priority over husbandry in the past. I'm not entirely sure where the 240 number comes in but it is very likely that that number has greatly decreased as, to my understanding, Omaha no longer has the highest number of herps in the US.

~Thylo

6. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Prague's species list from last annual report:

Leiolepis ngovantrii*
    Steppe agama
    Turkestan rock agama
    West african rainbow lizard
    Phrynocephalus mystaceus
    Giant Ameiva*
    Green anaconda
    West Cuban anole*
    Southern river terrapin
    Green Basilisk*
    Asian vine snake
    European Legless Lizard
    Gold-ringed Cat Snake
    Chuckwalla
    Roti Island Snake-necked Turtle
    Northern Snake-necked turtle
    Northern Caiman Lizard
    Banded Day Gecko
    Gharial
    Ptychozoon kuhli
    Tokay gecko
    Mourning Gecko
    Gekko vittatus
    Homopholis fasciata
    Turkestan thin-toed gecko
    Turner's thick-toed gecko
    Common Wonder Gecko
    Leopard Gecko
    Western Madagascar Tree Boa*
    Boa Constrictor*
    Hog Island Boa*
    Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    Kenyan sand boa
    Cuban Boa
    Short-horned Chameleon
    Calluma nasutum*
    Oustalet's Chameleon
    Parson’s Chameleon*
    Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
    Mangshan Pitviper
    Sand Lizard
    Green Lizard
    Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Fly River Turtle
    Crucilla Musk Turtle*
    California King Snake*
    Sonoran Mountain Kingsnakes*
    Ruthven's King Snake
    Reticulate Gila Monster*
    White-lipped Python
    Indian Python
    Ball Python
    Red Blood Python
    Green Tree Python*
    Tropical Girdled Lizard
    Red-bellied Side-neck
    Armadillo girdled lizard
    Eyelash Viper
    Lesser Antillean Iguana
    Cuban Ground Iguana
    Oaxacan Spinytail Iguana
    Desert Iguana
    Green Iguana
    Blue Rock Lizard
    Desert Spiny Lizard
    Collared Lizard
    Red-sided Curly-tailed Lizard
    Vaillant's Mabuya
    Raibow Skink
    Matamata Turtle*
    Asian Giant River Turtle
    Amazon Tree Boa*
    True Fire Skink
    Phrynosoma asio
    Solomon Island Skink*
    Percival's Lance Skink*
    Slow Worm
    Rhamphiophis rostratus*
    Malpolon insignitus
    Hemorrhois ravergieri

Red Tegu
    Northern Blue-tongued Skink*
    Ornate Mastigure
    Iraqi Mastigure
    Amur Ratsnake
    Brown House Snake*
    Rhinoceros Snake*
    Smooth Snake
    Grass Snake
    Dice snake
    Black Tree Monitor
    Komodo Dragon
    Banggai Island Monitor
    Emerald Monitor
    Earless monitor lizard
    East African Egg Eater
    Oriental Fresh-water Snake
    Western Gaboon Viper
    Common European Adder
    Southeast Asian Box Turtle
    Annam Leaf Turtle
    European Pond Turtle
    Giant Asian Pond Turtle
    Spiny Turtle
    Impressed Tortoise
    Indian Starred Tortoise
    Egyptian Tortoise
    Brahminy River Turtle
    Aldabra's Giant Tortoise
    North Antillean Slider
    Oldham's leaf turtle
    Radiated Tortoise
    Leopard Tortoise
    Eastern black-bridged leaf turtle
    African Pancake Tortoise
    Malayan Flat-shelled Turtle*
    Pinzon Giant Tortoise
    Indefatigable Island Tortoise
    Brown-roofed Turtle
    Hermann's Tortoise
    Tunisian Spur-thighed Tortoise
    Kazachstan Tortoise
    Black-breasted Leaf Turtle
    Brown stream terrapin*
    Enigmatic Leaf Turtle
    Texas Tortoise
    Indian Roofed Turtle
    Black Marsh Turtle
    Indochinese Boxturtle

* = species that might be out of collection now

So these are reptiles only, now add 12 amphibians species (main stars: Lake Titicaca Frog, Chinese Giant Salamander) and cca 52 fish species

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  7. ThylacineAlive

So @HOMIN96 made my life a bit easier!

As far as Omaha is concerned:
    Reptiles
    American Alligator
    Smooth-Fronted Caiman
    Spectacled Caiman
    American Crocodile
    Australian Freshwater Crocodile
    Philippine Crocodile
    Inland Bearded Dragon
    Common Chuckwalla
    Frill-Necked Lizard
    European Legless Lizard
    Madagascar Ground Boa
    Emerald Tree Boa
    Amazon Tree Boa
    Jamaican Boa
    Dominican Mountain Boa
    Northern Boa
    Yellow Anaconda
    Banded Knob-Tailed Gecko
    Panther Chameleon
    Oustalet's Chameleon
    Brown Tree Snake
    Corn Snake
    Eastern Indigo Snake
    Rhinoceros Ratsnake
    Central American Tiger Ratsnake
    Beauty Ratsnake
    Common Death Adder
    Rough-Scaled Death Adder
    Cape Coral Cobra
    Black Mamba
    Coastal Taipan
    Cape Cobra
    Collett's Snake
    King Brown Snake
    Cheke's Day Gecko
    Henkel's Leaf-Tailed Gecko
    Giant Plated Lizard
    Mexican Beaded Lizard
    Mexican Spiny-Tailed Iguana
    Cuvier's Madagascar Swift
    Plumed Basilisk
    Malagasy Giant Hognose Snake
    Malagasy Blonde Hognose Snake
    Baja Blue Rock Lizard
    Giant Horned Lizard
    Angolan Python
    Bredl's Python
    Woma Python
    Green Tree Python
    Brongersma's Blood Python
    Scrub Python
    Gargoyle Gecko
    Solomon Islands Giant Skink
    Cunningham's Skink
    Red-Eyed Crocodile Skink
    Chinese Crocodile Lizard
    White-Throated Monitor
    Spiny-Tailed Monitor
    Lace Monitor
    Perentie
    Quince Monitor
    Gray's Monitor
    Crocodile Monitor
    Mexican Cantil
    Santa Catalina Island Rattlesnake
    Sidewinder
    Mottled Rock Rattlesnake
    Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
    Great Basin Rattlesnake
    Arizona Black Rattlesnake
    Puff Adder
    Fly River Turtle
    Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Krefft's River Turtle
    Red-Bellied Short-Necked Turtle
    Matamata
    Loggerhead Sea Turtle
    Green Sea Turtle
    Spotted Turtle
    Yellow-Blotched Map Turtle
    Western Painted Turtle
    Eastern River Cooter
    Painted River Terrapin
    Helmeted Turtle
    Madagascan Big-Headed Turtle
    African Spurred Tortoise
    Flat-Backed Spider Tortoise
    Radiated Tortoise
    Home's Hingeback Tortoise
    Nile Softshell Turtle
    Florida Softshell Turtle

Amphibians
    American Toad
    Panamanian Golden Toad
    Asian Black-Spined Toad
    Solomon Island Leaf Frog
    Argentine Horned Frog
    Dyeing Poison Dart Frog (Blue)
    Yellow-Banded Poison Dart Frog
    Cope's Grey Treefrog
    Mexican Leaf Frog
    Splendid Treefrog
    Hourglass Treefrog
    Amazon Milk Frog
    African Bullfrog
    Powder-Blue Reed Frog
    Smoky Jungle Frog
    American Bullfrog
    Blue-Legged Mantella
    Arboreal Mantella
    Beautiful Mantella
    Madagascar Tomato Frog
    Mississippi Gopher Frog
    Eastern Tiger Salamander
    Emperor Newt

Fishes
    Redtail Splitfin
    Cave Blind Tetra
    Koi
    Pakistani Loach
    Largescale Four-Eyed Fish
    Banded Archerfish
    Silver Moony
    African Moony
    Pirapitinga
    Arapaima
    Alligator Gar
    Giant Gourami
    Kissing Gourami
    Asian Arowana
    Tiger Oscar
    Ripsaw Catfish
    Red-Tailed Catfish
    Honeycomb Moray
    Green Moray
    Spotted Garden Eel
    Copperband Butterflyfish
    California Sheephead
    Yellowbar Angelfish
    Goliath Grouper
    Atlantic Tarpon
    Pot-Bellied Seahorse
    Chain Dogfish
    Horn Shark
    Zebra Shark
    Atlantic Nurse Shark
    Ornate Wobbegong
    Sandbar Shark
    Bonnethead Shark
    Southern Stingray
    Atlantic Stingray
    Atlantic Cownose Ray

So that's 150 species for Omaha vs 192 for Prague. It must be said, though, that the Prague list includes the bts species whereas the Omaha list only includes species that were on-show. I'm pretty sure I've missed a few herps that I failed to spot as well. Additionally it must be noted that Omaha has an entire aquarium, the total contents of which I did not list out nor could I even if I wanted to. More likely than not Omaha actually beats out Prague for the total number of ectotherms. Remind me, are we counting invertebrates here, too? If so, Omaha definitely wins by a significant amount because they have an invertebrate house as well as a large collection of marine inverts in the aquarium.

I'm not really sure how to vote here, as Prague does have some absolutely fantastic exhibits for their herps as well as some truly spectacular species whereas Omaha seems to be have historically taken the stampbook approach with enclosures ranging from adequate to amazing. I do want to give them credit for actively working towards keeping a fewer number of species in order to give them a better standard of living. It should also be noted that, while Prague does have the giant salamander house, gharial house, cat house, and giant tortoise house, many of the herp displays in the Asian and African houses as well as their actual reptile house aren't really anything special and are worse than most of what Omaha has to offer.

So basically it seems to come to Prague having several spectacular exhibits which are far better than anything at Omaha but also many more exhibits which pale in comparison vs Omaha with a much more consistent and numerous set of good exhibits housing a significantly larger collection. I'm tempted to vote in favor of Prague, but for now I'm going to vote 2-1 in favor of Omaha with the aquarium having pushed me over. I'm open to hearing any arguments in favor of me switching to Prague, however. Does anyone have information on their conservation programs?

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

A note about Omaha from me: while I understand there will be different viewpoints on this, I am a big fan of buildings or complexes being entirely devoted to ectotherms (especially reptiles and amphibians) because I think it emphasizes them in a way that isn't done by housing them in countless side enclosures in exhibit complexes that are more mammalian in focus. For that reason, while I appreciate Omaha's collection and many of its exhibits, I wasn't very satisfied with how they are displayed as a whole.

I'm also not sure how to describe it exactly, and I'm likely in the minority on this, but I wasn't that intrigued by Omaha's aquarium either. I think it's certainly impressive compared to other aquariums in U.S. zoos, but there wasn't anything in it that I hadn't seem done better elsewhere and I don't remember seeing any organisms that I thought were noteworthy. The whole aquarium felt a bit sterile and bland.

Isn't Prague responsible (or at least played a major role in) the acquisition and distribution of a sizable Chinese giant salamander population in European zoos?

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  9. snowleopard

First of all, thanks should go to both @HOMIN96 and @ThylacineAlive for compiling lists of species at these two world-class zoos. It does contribute a lot to these challenges if someone has a fairly comprehensive list of species for all of us to enjoy.

The 240 species list for Omaha comes from an International Zoo Yearbook from a couple of years ago, although I did acknowledge that the total of 240 included behind-the-scenes reptiles and amphibians. I do know that Omaha has approximately 130 vivariums in the zoo with reptiles and amphibians inside, an astonishing total and more than just about any single Reptile House on the planet. The zoo also has a full-size Aquarium that could in reality be a stand-alone attraction with a separate admission fee. Omaha even has an Insect House if we are including six-legged critters.

It does sound as if Prague has a couple of really outstanding ectotherm exhibits (giant salamander and gharial) and a very good collection, but Omaha's sheer quantity is mind-blowing and in all honesty the vast majority of the exhibits in Omaha for ectotherms are very impressive.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. snowleopard

I've visited Omaha on three occasions (2008, 2012, 2018) and I have to admit that I was really thrown off during my first visit when there wasn't a stand-alone Reptile House and instead dozens of ectotherm exhibits in each of the mega-buildings. I can therefore totally understand your feelings in regards to perhaps desiring a single structure to house all of the reptiles and amphibians. On the other hand, there can sometimes be 'ectotherm fatigue' in a zoo when one is inside a large-scale Reptile House and a full hour goes by just looking at snakes, lizards, turtles and similar creepy-crawlies. I can see both points of view, as I can also appreciate those kinds of animals spread throughout a zoo.

11. ThylacineAlive

Obviously to each their own, as you said, but I don't really agree with your assessment of how Omaha exhibits their ectotherms. There are entire sections in Desert Dome that are nothing but ectotherm displays (the Australian herp hall and North American venomous loop for example), the Wild Pavilion is almost entirely ectotherms apart from a couple birds, and there are sections in Lied Jungle that are entirely herps as well with no mammals or birds in sight. Then of course there's the aquarium and insect house (if it counts) which are almost entirely devoted to ectotherms with only a few birds species scattered within. Yes there are exhibits such as their Madagascar house that display herps in the manner you mentioned, but how else are they supposed to do it? If an exhibit's purpose is to showcase the biodiversity of the area, isn't it a good thing if there are ectotherm species mixed in with all the endotherms? And yeah the endotherms will be the main focus of the exhibit usually, but that's due to visitor attention spans, not a zoo's lack of interest in other taxa. Personally I hate when I see an exhibit on a particular region that lacks displays on anything other than birds and mammals.

Yeah I agree the aquarium doesn't really have anything particularly standout about it exhibit-wise and I have seen better zoo aquariums in Europe, but as you said the aquarium is better than what most zoo aquariums are and could function as a small standalone attraction somewhere. The zoo also has plans to further renovate it in the future. I do disagree that there isn't anything interesting species-wise, though. For a relatively small aquarium, they have a pretty great selection of shark species, particularly in the shark tunnel tank. They also had some fun fish species spread throughout such as shrimpfish (idk the species so I didn't include it) and various rarer rockfish. Do they also have a California Moray? I have a vague memory of one being in the rockfish tank but I could be misremembering. My biggest criticism of the exhibit is that the signs are pretty outdated and inaccurate. Of course, Prague doesn't even have an aquarium so I feel as though that's a major point against the zoo.

Not sure on your giant salamander question, but I wouldn't be surprised. They have a lot of animals of various ages and sizes. I wouldn't be surprised if Prague has the most giant salamanders anywhere outside of China.

~Thylo

12. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The fact that I do not remember an Australian herp hall and barely recall the herp collection in the Lied Jungle sort of reinforces my point. Again, this may just be a difference in personal experience; when I visited LA Zoo for the first time, I distinctly remembered every part of LAIR. As a regular visitor of Saint Louis and Smithsonian, I remember their Reptile Houses quite distinctly. Meanwhile, much of Omaha's collection has already departed my memory banks because it just felt like a backdrop among everything else.

I believe invertebrates count, I've seen others use them in arguments for this category before.

It's not that I don't think ectotherms should be included in zoogeographic exhibits. A zoo can choose to include them, while also making them a key feature of the exhibit complex (an example might be an Asian zone that includes a house for Asian turtles). Omaha didn't feel like that to me; it felt much more like random hallways of assorted herps that were from that ecosystem, like deserts or rainforests. It's not a terrible way to do it, but I think it de-emphasizes them. Honestly I don't remember seeing any reptile or amphibian exhibit that stood out to me except the Philippine crocodile enclosure in Lied Jungle, and I actually had mixed feelings about that one because of the weird viewing angles.

I also strongly disagree that endotherms end up being the main focus because of visitor attention spans. Sure, I can buy that a few small frogs or brown snakes aren't going to pique the average visitor's interest, but crocodiles, Komodos and other monitor lizards, giant tortoises, anacondas, and large venomous snakes have all been proven crowd pleasers... if they are displayed and emphasized properly. Additionally, reptile houses have been popular at every zoo I've been to that had them (except Living Desert, but theirs is very small and a little weird), which I think implies that visitors do have the attention span for herps if they are in a place where herps are the highlight rather than an afterthought.

I'll be honest about the fact that fish and marine life isn't generally my thing, so when I said "interesting species", I meant ones that I would be able to recognize as being interesting or rare. There have been aquariums where maybe only one species stood out to me, like chambered nautilus or lungfish; I don't remember a single species like that from Omaha's aquarium. I also barely remember their shark tunnel tank, an aquarium feature that is so ubiquitous at this point that it honestly feels generic and overused.

13. ThylacineAlive

In which case there are roughly dozen to two dozen butterflies in the insect house, along with various other insects and arachnids. The aquarium also houses Zebra Mantis Shrimp, Giant Pacific Octopus, Japanese Spider Crab, various sea stars, and four sea nettle species.

But how does an entire hallway dedicated to Australian herps-- which includes various rare Elapids and Perentie-- and a room dedicated to venomous North American reptiles not count as emphasizing them as a key feature of the exhibit complex? What else could they do to emphasize the taxa?

Omaha has six species of crocodilians, seven species of monitor, the rarer anaconda species, and sixteen venomous snakes (all but three I'd consider large) on-exhibit. All they are missing from that list are giant tortoises, but they have two species of sea turtles and I'd argue that the African Spurred Tortoise is large enough to peak interest. Most of those all have large and well designed habitats with little else around them to distract visitors from the species.

I do agree with your overall point here, but I do think it's a little extreme to describe Omaha as displaying herps as an afterthought. Again, they have entire rooms and hallways dedicated solely to herp species. They also display five species of crocodilians in the nocturnal house alone and have a hallways in Lied Jungle separated from the main forest that's almost solely amphibian displays. Personally, I see a much bigger argument that herps are prioritized in their exhibit planning.

~Thylo