Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #14: London v Planckendael

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 11 Mar 2018.

?

Small mammals: London or Planckendael?

Poll closed 18 Mar 2018.
  1. London

26.9%
  2. Planckendael

73.1%
  1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

"Best" is a matter of opinion, but "original"? I think you'll find the rules of Association Football were being drawn up when Captain Cook was but a twinkle in his father's eye*.

Besides, you should have some understanding of (real) football - Australia have some half-decent players, and are heading to the World Cup (where hopefully they'll be trounced by Peru or Panama or some other sporting behemoth).

* Probably not wholly accurate, historically

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'll be generous and say it's not wholly *inaccurate*. :D

Australian rules football was first codified in 1858. Soccer had the 'Cambridge rules' in 1848 which are recognisably the same sport, but they weren't my codified as official by the FA until 1863. There were already multiple clubs playing to a standard set of rules in Melbourne by that time (including Melbourne, Geelong and Richmond, who are still in the AFL today).

The issue comes down to whether you want to give any credit to Oxbridge, which clearly no reasonable supporter of the great proletarian pursuit of football should ever do. Once they are dispensed with, the IUZN rules are clear: Australian football is the type specimen.

sooty mangabey likes this.
  3. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

bad as in virtually no lighting .... otherwise i 100% agree with your characterization of London zoo. It should and could be great, but it is just not.

On your soccer analogy - Planckendael basically is the uprising second team of Antwerpen, so my suggestion would be Arsenal against ManU-U20 team :rolleyes:

sooty mangabey likes this.
  4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This should have been an easy win for London, but it won't be one. Any zoo with echidna has my preference normally, but overall I prefer Planckendael to London, I was quite disappointed with the Clore, which has some potential to be a second Grzimek house...