Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #2: Colchester vs Salzburg

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 25 Feb 2018.

?

Small mammals: Colchester or Salzburg?

Poll closed 4 Mar 2018.
  1. Colchester

65.0%
  2. Salzburg

35.0%
  1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Until recently, Alpine marmots were kept at Zoo Salzburg. Alpine mountain hares are still kept there, which is confirmed by ZTL. The neighbourhood around the zoo doesn't contain any wild specimens of both.

pipaluk likes this.
  2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok, thanks for confirming, I couldn't see either on the ZTL current holdings list, but good to know the Marmot aren't there and that's correct.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Put it this way, both species were listed within the current holdings when I checked ZTL yesterday :p so the listings have been removed within the last 24 hours.

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok, if removed from ZTL that quickly then I understand ! I apologise for suggesting you were trying to include wild species

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both: Golden-headed lion tamarin; ring-tailed lemur; South American coati; bearded emperor tamarin; Linnaeus's two-toed sloth; pygmy marmoset
    Colchester: Red-necked wallaby; meerkat; binturong; aardvark; yellow-breasted capuchin; common squirrel monkey; golden lion tamarin; giant anteater; red-bellied lemur; Kirk's dik-dik; Colombian black spider monkey; sugar glider; red titi; red ruffed lemur; black saki; black-and-white ruffed lemur; Goeldi's monkey; striped skunk; southern tamandua; Syrian rock hyrax; four-toed hedgehog; Geoffroy's marmoset; fennec; Asian small-clawed otter
    Salzburg: Bolivian squirrel monkey; Seba's short-tailed bat; European harvest mouse; western house mouse; Patagonian mara; black-capped capuchin; black rat; cotton-top tamarin; round-eared sengi; Parma wallaby; black-tailed prairie dog; South African pygmy mouse; southern three-banded armadillo; capybara; banded mongoose

Colchester wins this one

6. SabineB

SabineB Well-Known Member

Although I agree with DesertRhino150 that Colchester unfortunately has some animals off show that one would usually really be interested to get to see and although I will never understand, why zoos who house sun bears and binturongs don't socialize them, my vote goes to Colchester. I liked the Rainforest a lot and I did not mind the glass-walls that much at all. The smooth-coated otter enclosure is in fact great and regardless of the fact that I have never seen the aardvark not sleeping :rolleyes: i thought this was one of the really great enclosures. It has been some time since I was at Colchester, but I found the anteater enclosure fine.