Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #21: Amersfoort vs Twycross

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 21 Mar 2018.

?

All things avian: Amersfoort or Twycross?

Poll closed 25 Mar 2018.
  1. Amersfoort

20.0%
  2. Twycross

80.0%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And the category is prim-... no. Sorry Twycross. It's birds.

ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category above.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and wherever else. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - Voting closes in four days
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than the relevant category.

Tomorrow: Dublin v Wuppertal.

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross is lucky it didn't draw small mammals...

Though the bird collection in Twycross is not particularly big with 48 species according to ZTL, Amersfoort has an extremely small bird collection, with currently 31 species listed. None of Amersfoorts species is particularly interesting (Cassowary are probably the highlight) and though they have 1 nice walkthrough aviary for the vultures, pelicans, hamerkop and storks, I can't vote for them. Twycross collection is not only bigger but at least they have some interesting species Black-necked weaver and Little pied cormorant.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Never been to Twycross but evenso I go for Amersfoort. The large walk-through aviary is a realy impressive enclosure and also the smaller aviaries with for example Green-cheecked amazons, owls and pheasants are well-done. Therefor it is for me Amersfoort.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Oh blimey - this is Watford against Brighton, a clash for which it is almost impossible to summon any enthusiasm at all. Twycross could be so much better in this area (as in other areas too). The south-east Asian walk-through could have had the makings of something pretty nice, but alas. The lorikeet thing takes something that every zoo in the world is doing, and renders it pretty ugly (and pretty weird). Do they still have those horrible parrot aviaries? Strange penguin thing. Flamingos not enhanced by the sound of passing traffic. But I'm not sure that Amersfoort offers anything much either. A 0-0 draw, settled by an undramatic penalty shootout.

Vision, pipaluk and CGSwans like this.
  5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's ok. We have a couple of EPL heavyweight clashes coming up. You'll be complaining to me for the complete opposite reason in a few days. :D

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I won't bother voting on this one , as. It's a clear win for Twycross when probably it shouldn't be, don't think ZTL is up to date