Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #37: Chester (5) vs Budapest

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 8 Apr 2018.

?

Birds

Poll closed 11 Apr 2018.
  1. Chester

95.2%
  2. Budapest

4.8%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Fifth seed Chester must have been close to the highest scorer in the first round, seeing off Valencia 27 votes to 2 on primates. Budapest wasn't much more troubled on what might be considered its home patch, small mammals, taking out Jardin des Plantes 14-5.

This time? Birds. I'd find voting for this a lot easier if only one of them didn't have those bloody Waldrapp bin chickens.

Tomorrow: Cologne vs Ostrava.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I actually think Chester's been a bit lucky here as it's far from the zoo's strongest category (and it's just demolished one of its biggest bird exhibits), but the Tsavo and Islands walkthroughs, plus the Monsoon and Tropical Realm ones and a collection still boasting quite a few little gems means it wins out for me.

I actually just had to Zootierliste Budapest as I was struggling to to remember much in the way of birds at all - only the birds in the wildlife rescue centre really stuck in my mind. There're some nice bird exhibits there in fact but they lack both the quality and volume to take down Chester, I think.

CGSwans likes this.
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are birds exhibited throughout the Budapest Zoo and they have some interesting species, but none of the enclosures is really noteworthy, except the walkthrough enclosure for Waldrapp and Griffion vultures on the rock and some nice aviaries in the Australia house.

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A walk-through aviary doesn't count if it has Waldrapps.

(That's not a rule for the game or anything, just an observation, but I might yet make it one).

5. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Budapest probably holds more species.

The griffon vulture - waldrapp aviary on the Little Rock is excellent but most other birds exibits are no more than average. The Australian House got a large but common collection while the America Tropicana held very few species during my last visit (november 2017).

Chester has far more rare species: fowls, hornbills, parrots, magpies, trogons, etc.

So my vote goes to Chester.