Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup Match #4: Bristol v Zagreb

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by CGSwans, 27 Feb 2018.

?

I like primates. Where am I going?

Poll closed 6 Mar 2018.
  1. Bristol

95.2%
  2. Zagreb

4.8%
  1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A pleasing match-up, this. I've been to Zagreb but not Bristol. They are both small urban zoos, and whilst Bristol is well-renowned for doing a lot with a little, Zagreb doesn't get the attention it deserves for achieving the same thing. This is going to be interesting.

The concept behind this poll is explained here:
    ZooChat Cup

In summary, the rules of the game are as follows:
    - You may choose whatever criteria you like to decide how to vote, as long as it only relates to the category of 'primates'.
    - You can use whatever resources you like to inform your vote, including Zoolex, Zootierliste, the ZooChat gallery, trip reviews, zoo maps, books and wherever else. You don't have to have visited both zoos to vote.
    - Votes are public and can be changed at any time before the poll closes.
    - The aim of the game is to provoke debate. Post explaining why you voted the way you did, and why others should join you.
    - The one thing you can't do is vote based on anything other than primates.
    - Voting closes in seven days.

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would the wild place count as a part of the Bristol zoo? Even if it isn't Bristol alone has a great collection of lemurs.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2018
  3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, unfortunately for Bristol that's a separate facility.

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never been to Zagreb , but a look at ZTL makes this appear another mismatch 20 species for Bristol against 12 for Zagreb. I know quantity is not the only consideration , but Bristol have Brown Spider Monkey , Aye Aye, Drill, Lion Tailed Macaque, Sclater's Lemur, Agile Gibbon. Zagreb has very few species as rarely seen as those .

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Bristol has its weaknesses, but primates are a real strength. Gorillas are their star exhibit. The Monkey House is solid. Lots of interesting things on the islands. The Aye Ayes in Twilight World. Drills in that horrible cage near the entrance. I think it’s a comfortable win!

pipaluk likes this.
  6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A fairly clear choice for Bristol - pipaluk and sooty have summed it up very well.

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am going for Bristol, a collection of primates that would be appropriate in a collection triple it's size. Zagreb doesn't come close on any count; rarity, exhibition, numbers... All categories belong to Bristol.

8. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely a mismatch in favour of Bristol. I mean that have Aye-Ayes so that got my vote alone!

9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Both: Grey mouse lemur; grey-handed night monkey; ring-tailed lemur; black-and-white ruffed lemur
    Bristol: Alaotran gentle lemur; Colombian brown spider monkey; drill; aye-aye; common squirrel monkey; golden and golden-headed lion tamarins; crowned lemur; red titi; agile gibbon; Goeldi's monkey; blue-eyed black lemur; western lowland gorilla; pygmy slow loris
    Zagreb: Black-capped capuchin; Hanuman langur; mantled colobus; red-bellied tamarin; bearded emperor tamarin; common chimpanzee; black-and-gold howler monkey; lar gibbon; white-fronted lemur; pygmy marmoset

Bristol wins this one

10. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I voted for Bristol based upon a larger collection, including some rarities and the majority are presented well.

I'm interested why @Batto voted for Zagreb, and if he can convince anybody to change their votes...

11. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

- just for their venomous snake collection; I forgot it was just about primates...

Ned likes this.