Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup S2 Match #16: Cincinnati vs Detroit

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by pachyderm pro, 5 Jun 2018.

?

Ungulates

Poll closed 9 Jun 2018.
  1. Cincinatti

42.9%
  2. Detroit

57.1%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The final original match of round one, the historic Ohio park against the modern grounds of Michigan's strongest zoos with, ungulates. Cinci has the Africa zone with your typical affair including many different antelope species plus giraffes and zebras. There has also been a recent hippo exhibit, the Asian elephant reserve and rhino reserve which is sadly lacking the Sumatran rhino who would have practically guarantee cinci this match. Detroit has a historic African area with many yards for giraffes, warthogs, white rhinos, eland and zebras. There is also a massive bison paddock and similar guanaco yard.

Tommorow: Brookfield vs Miami (REMATCH)

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't know much about Detroit but I know Cincinnati has some good history with ungulates with their Sumatran Rhino breeding and being the first to keep Przewalski's Wild Horse. However, I don't think there's a single ungulate enclosure there that's better than just adequate. The hippo and newer African hoofstock enclosures are the best but those are the adequate ones, each of them being on the smaller side and they're mostly a bit bland-looking. Meanwhile the Wildlife Canyon and elephant enclosures range from ok to horrid. The best were the rhino enclosures but my understanding is they don't hold ungulates in them anymore.

I think I'm going to vote for Detroit, but I'll wait for further comments.

~Thylo

3. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The dreaded 'Double T's' at the end of Cincinnati:rolleyes:;)

4. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

Species of hoofstock I recall from Detroit are fallow deer, common eland, reticulated giraffe, white lipped deer, guanaco, bison, Przewalski wild horse, bactrian camel, grevy's zebra, white rhino, and warthog. It is worth mentioning the white lipped deer is quite a rare species. None of the habitats were bad, all of them were large, spacious, and naturally vegetated.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know if Detroit still holds Brazilian tapir, southern pudu, or Sichuan takin?

6. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There haven't many comments on this match, so I thought I’d give my opinions on Detroit (I’ve yet to visit Cincy).

This is an interesting category for Detroit, it’s one of Detroit’s better categories, but Detroit isn’t amazing in terms of ungulates. Species wise Detroit is so-so. I think they’re above average in species quantity, but most of the animals are fairly standard, whith no stand out animals. Exhibit wise, I found Detroit to be fairly good. The best attribute of the exhibits is their size, all are large, and some are the biggest I’ve ever seen for that particular species (Warthogs, Zebras and Bison). The downside is that all the exhibits are basically the same and thus can be a bit repetitive.

Overall, I think I’m going to vote Detroit. Detroit isn’t super strong in this category, but I haven’t been impressed with what I’ve seen from Cincinnati, and Detroit’s large exhibits seal the deal.

7. TZDugong

On my visit in August 2017, there were definitely no Pudu or Takin. I seem to remember Tapir in the American section, so I think Tapir are still there.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  8. ThylacineAlive

I know the eland and Guanaco are more common out west than over here, but I don't think anyone could call White-Lipped Deer "so-so" with only three holders in the entire country :p ;)

~Thylo

TZDugong likes this.
  9. TZDugong

I had no idea White-Lipped Deer are so rare! Wonderful deer.

As for the Eland and Guanaco, I thought they were more common, but maybe that’s because most of my recent zooing has been out west where they’re more common.

10. Coelacanth18

For those who want to use conservation as a factor, Cincinnati supports conservation programs for three ungulate species (Sumatran rhinos, Maasai giraffes, and Bactrian camels) while Detroit supports programs for two ungulates species (Grevy's zebras and African elephants).

11. ThylacineAlive

Actual Bactrians or the zoo-variety?

~Thylo

12. Coelacanth18

Wild Bactrians. I think the IUCN de-listed zoo camels a few years back :D