Join our zoo community

ZooChat Cup S2 Match #28: Sedgwick County vs Los Angeles

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by pachyderm pro, 28 Jun 2018.

?

Herps

Poll closed 2 Jul 2018.
  1. Sedwick County

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Los Angeles

100.0%
  1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Finishing off the third round, Herps will be the topic of discussion between these two zoos. Sedgwick County has a dedicated reptile and amphibian complex, with other species scattered throughout other parts of the zoo including the Tropics building. Los Angeles has the dedicated LAIR complex which has been praised by many to be LA's most impressive exhibit building. Both zoos boast a impressive number of species at the collection.

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Beyond a doubt it’s LA for me.

LAIR is a simply brilliant exhibit, easily the best reptile house I’ve ever been too. I just don’t think Sedgwick can match that.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I voted for Los Angeles as LAIR is an excellent complex, even though Sedgwick County also has an impressive reptile/amphibian building. If L.A. wins in this category then the zoo is through to the semi-finals and will be amongst the last 4 zoos in the competition. Considering that the zoo has future plans to either renovate or demolish at least 50% of its exhibits it is somewhat bizarre that Los Angeles managed to make it this far. There is no way that I'd have L.A. in my top 20 American zoos but it is still a very good facility, there is a great collection of animals there, and in a cup competition it can come down to the luck of the draw. :)

TZDugong and BigNate like this.
  4. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am just as surprised but I guess that is why the contest is built the way it is so that we can have interesting conversations about all zoos in many aspects.

Personally, after visiting LA last year, I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable visits to any zoo I have ever had. I recently visited Saint Louis Zoo in March and I have to say that I enjoyed LA a bit more. I don't know what it is about it but it has a very classic "zoo" feel and my conversations with the employees and keepers that I met there just made me love it more. I would put it in my personal top 2 zoos that I've visited. If I were rank it by overall quality, it would rank much lower on my list (which isn't very long at this point but I'm excited to grow it!).