Join our zoo community

ZooChat S3: Aquarium Cup Match #1: Aquarium of Genoa vs Shedd Aquarium

Discussion in 'ZooChat Cup' started by ZooBinh, 17 Jul 2018.

?

Aquarium of Genoa vs Shedd Aquarium

Poll closed 21 Jul 2018.
  1. Aquarium of Genoa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Shedd Aquarium

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aquarium of Genoa has two immersive tanks with Bottlenose Dolphins and Harbour Seals, but do they have a chance against Shedd Aquarium's cetacean breeding programs or their amazing Sea Otter exhibit?

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aquarium of Genoa looks pretty good, but I think it could struggle depending on where voting comes from. Living in the states, I had never heard of what is apparently the biggest aquarium in Europe. I feel it could be possible for bias simply by not having heard of what is probably a very good aquarium in another country that many of the voters may not be familiar with. Not voting yet because I keep defaulting to Shedd simply because I'm familiar.

3. ZooBinh

If this helps, the Aquarium of Genoa's dolphin tank is pretty mediocre, but the viewing panels makes it feel like you are with the dolphins. The seal pool looks very nice and naturalistic, along with their manatee pool.

Great Argus likes this.
  4. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where is the category actually listed? Also isn’t it unfair to judge aquariums solely based off 1 category of the 8, given how specific some are?

5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's sort of the whole point of this competition.

But yes, from now on @ZooBinh could you please specify the category more? I'm still very confused on the rules of this season and if you could clarify that would be much appreciated. Also why are the voters privatized? Having the members who voted viewable makes it easier to detect if spam accounts are being made for extra votes.

ZooBinh and BigNate like this.
  6. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know this is a category based game. I should have stated my issue more clearly. I feel the categories are far to specific for the game. Aquariums are less diverse categorically, than zoos yet in competitions such as this recently their have only been like 6 categories of animals (birds, herps, primates, ungulates, carnivores and other mammals). So this in my opinion breaks the categories up so much, that a single exhibit can represent the entire aquarium in a category.

BigNate likes this.
  7. ZooBinh

My apologies, I forgot to mention the category (it is marine mammals) and make the votes public. I clarified the rules again on the main thread.

8. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Shedd wins this one because of the work they do with pacific white sides dolphins and belugas. The studies they did one the captive dolphins offered important value to the lifestyle of this species as well as the belugas. Also as you said @ZooBinh, the aquarium has a nice sea otter exhibit which to me, shows who is the winner. My vote is Shedd.