Join our zoo community

ZooChat v4 suggestions

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 27 Mar 2018.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

The problem then is that you would largely be seeing the same photos over and over again.

TinoPup, Kakapo, birdsandbats and 2 others like this.
  2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I certainly would prefair very much the current system of random media line. Maybe is the most rated media what can be put as a link in the media page.

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

May I still suggest things?

4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't mind helping with this because it would be great for Zoochat Cups etc.
    Another thing that might be helpful, if I may suggest something, would be maybe sorting the USA section into states? It is quite convoluted atm :)

5. Simon Hampel

Yes - there's still plenty of work to do before I'll be ready to upgrade, so feel free to suggestion changes or improvements or even new functionality.

ZooBinh likes this.
  6. ZooBinh

Great! There's one that has popped up in my mind recently.

I don't think it's been suggested yet.

On other forums that I'm on, when I get an alert or a PM, a combined number in parentheses will show up on the tab at the top of the screen. So for example, the tab handle (whatever it's called), next to the words (e.g. "ZooChat :: Zoo and Animal....") it has like a "(1)" to notify that I have an alert or what not.

Could we implement into ZooChat?

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought ZooChat already does that?

ZooBinh likes this.
  8. ZooBinh

Really? ZooChat doesn't show notifications for alerts and PMs when you're off the tab.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think he means that when he has more than one tab open at the same time (say: Zoochat, email, and Youtube), then he wants an alert to show on the Zoochat tab - so that if he is watching Youtube he can see that he still has an alert on Zoochat.

ZooBinh likes this.
  10. ZooBinh

That is what I meant :)

11. Simon Hampel

Next version has push notifications as an option so you'll get browser based notifications for certain events you select. Unfortunately, due to restrictions imposed by Apple, it does not work on Safari on macOS or on any iOS based browser, but it works really well on Chrome / Firefox / Edge / Android / etc

There are also tab alerts for the next version too ... I think this is what you are looking for?:

upload_2020-5-14_21-4-53.png

Jambo, Coelacanth18, ZooBinh and 2 others like this.
  12. ZooBinh

Yes that is what I was looking for :)

13. Simon Hampel

It's not directly related to ZooChat, but I thought I'd mention that I have spent this week upgrading one of my other sites to the latest version of the forum software. This is the first of my sites I've been able to upgrade from the same version that we run ZooChat on, up to the latest version.

The majority of the work I've had to do to get this site ready is directly re-usable in upgrading ZooChat too - there are a lot of shared components - so this represents a major milestone for me and shows real progress towards ZooChat v4.

I've got two small sites to migrate in the next few weeks and then I start work on my main site, PropertyChat which I'm aiming to have upgraded by the end of June.

Once that is done, the next major project will be ZooChat, which unfortunately has a lot more customisation work due to the unique nature of this site. I still aim to have ZooChat upgraded by the end of this year at the latest and based on progress I've been making, I'm confident I can make that goal.

FYI - the site I just upgraded is the forum that I built before I started ZooChat, which was Somersoft.

Somersoft Property Investment Forums was a forum that I built and ran on behalf of the owners of that site from 2002 until 2015 when we decided to archive it and I then launched PropertyChat as a replacement.

Somersoft was running vBulletin, just like ZooChat up until 2016 when I migrated it to XenForo v1.5 and now it is running XenForo 2.1

However, because the site is archived with no users allowed to log in and no new content being created, I've customised the interface somewhat to hide a lot of the features which no longer make sense - for example, showing what's new or recent posts. So while the site demonstrates some of the potential for ZooChat v4, you're seeing only a very small part of the functionality.

One thing to note is that the mobile UI has been significantly improved over what we have on ZooChat now - so that will be one of the main features I'm looking forward to once we can get this site upgraded too.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Assuming you upgraded it to the latest software as a "dry run" rather than because of any actual need to upgrade it, given the archived status of the forum?

15. Simon Hampel

No actually. Yes, it is a useful exercise as a dry-run, but that wasn't the primary motivator. Old software becomes unsupported, which means that it no longer receives any upgrades or security fixes.

What's more, the forum software doesn't operate in isolation - the actual tech stack required to run a forum is as follows:
    • forum software (XenForo)
    • programming language (PHP)
    • CGI process manager (PHP-FPM)
    • web server (Nginx)
    • database server (MySQL)
    • cache server (Redis/Memcached)
    • operating system (Ubuntu)
    • virtual machine (KVM)
    • physical hardware
    ... plus a whole heap of other supporting software and systems which go into running a complex site like this.

The problem arises when the underlying elements change - for example, a new version of the operating system is released and ships with a higher version of MySQL or PHP, which turns out to be incompatible with the forum software.

That's what has happened here. The version of XenForo we currently use is no longer supported - meaning the developers won't release updates or even security fixes for it. It also doesn't support the latest version of PHP which is now standard on the latest version of the operating system we use - so I can't upgrade the operating system without upgrading the forum software (well, I could - but it introduces quite a bit more complexity and risk).

XenForo 1.5 was released nearly 5 years ago and stopped receiving updates more than 1 year ago. To continue running this old version, we would have to keep our tech stack on supported versions - which means not upgrading them either, despite the fact that there may be security issues.

We need to update the forum software so that we can update the programming language so that we can update the operating system and all the other components we run on, etc.

It is of course possible to continue running old software on an old stack - but eventually things will stop working.

It's kind of like buying a house. You don't need to spend any time or money maintaining it - but if you don't, it will eventually fall down. Own a house long enough and the wiring and plumbing and roofing and internal fixtures will all need replacing at some point.

Software requires maintenance too because it does not exist in a vacuum - it interacts with other components and over time will need to be updated. Also, the longer software exists - the more likely that hackers will find a weakness they can exploit.

As a bonus, the newer versions of everything run much faster - so we get improvements from upgrades too. Actually, the most important thing to come out of this upgrade for me is that the forum software upgrade process has now been automated (basically one click updates), which is going to make it much easier for me to maintain the site going forward.

In this specific case, the old site was hosted in Singapore (the closest I could get to Australia at the time), but now the hosting provider I use has a data centre in Australia. So I built a new server in Australia running the latest software versions - Ubuntu 20.04, MySQL 8.0 and PHP 7.4 - but I couldn't move any of my forums to that new server until they were upgraded to the latest version too, which is what I've been doing.

For reference, ZooChat runs on a separate server in Newark, New Jersey - once I'm ready to upgrade ZooChat later this year, I'll build a new server running the latest versions of everything for it as well.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very interesting :) the fact that the maintainance procedure will be streamlined and automated sounds particularly promising. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly in the coming months!

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know this is a little late but, would it be possible to get alerts for any comments in a gallery you follow? Or perhaps some other way to see this? Knowing when there are gallery discussions about zoos you're interested in/have visited would be useful to know.

18. Leaf Productions

Leaf Productions Well-Known Member

Would it be possible to start a Zoo Chat Discord Server?

19. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe there was/is one. If I can remember correctly, I think you have to PM Simon to get an invite.

It's a general server though (not specifically about zoos).

20. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoochat has a discord but it's just being used as a chatroom