Join our zoo community

Zoo Barcelona Zoològic de Barcelona News

Discussion in 'Spain' started by aim_foliksta, 22 Feb 2009.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Judging by the new Komodo Dragon exhibit we are looking at a rejuvenated zoo. I hope they can keep up the standard.

Re rhino: when will the lone male leave for another zoo?

Re elephant exhibit: is there intention to breed? Where will the eles come from (wild / captive)?

2. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

This zoo should receive a female komodo dragon from Prague (CB 2007, Prague). It was mentioned in an article about transport of her male sibling to Colchester on Prague Zoo page. No info about the date of transport.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At Barcelona maybe. Certainly not in Zoos generally though.

4. Kifaru Bwana

I would say after all the handreared offspring being a persistent problem at Barcelona that it is significant for this zoo at least (I was not suggesting any other zoos nor the EEP).

Our local forumsters will probably agree that Spanish zoos have some catching up to do (and follow the French zoo community that has made great strides in recent years). Things are improving and I am glad that Barcelona is now setting an example with a masterplan for the next decade.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed on that point. Unfortunately one of the two Gorilla groups at Barcelona is currently headed by male 'Awali'- born at your 'local' zoo Artis-handreared at Stuttgart and grew up in the Paignton male group. He's proved to be no good for breeding(too humanised) so he needs replacing.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Familiar with that situation (cannot comment publicly further). :cool:
    PM if you will (only you though).

7. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new Sri Lankan leopard (male) came to Barcelona from the Netherlands I don't know from where...

8. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

9. aim_foliksta

aim_foliksta Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo recieved a female Komodo dragon from Prague Zoo to start a breeding program (the zoo had only two males).

10. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which one? Boruvka or Potvora? Do you have photos?

11. aim_foliksta

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the answer. I think it´s Potvora according to the pics. She was baptized Ora, but now is called Potvora (it means something like monster, bastard or so) due to its behaviour. I think she got a nice new home but it´s sad to see her leave.

13. Sharak_Jek

Sharak_Jek Well-Known Member

According to spanish forum ''Zoos del Mundo'' the zoo's now has warthogs too
    but they're keep in a small cage.

14. Kifaru Bwana

It seems that Zoologic de Barca is doing construction work on the giraffe - elephant paddock. It does not seem related to the planned overhaul into a complete African savannah theme. Status now?

The hippo project is still on hold?

Where have the blesbok been relocated to?

Which is the remaining white rhino?

15. aim_foliksta

Yes, the zoo recieved two warthogs, possibly from Valencia Bioparc. They are located in the provisonal exhibits that were built on the north part of the zoo. The blesboks are also in these provisional exhibits. There are a group of three provisional exhibits, two occupied with the two species commented before.

The hippo project and all the masterplan project is paused due financial problems. The government has cut the financial helps as they think that is not a prioritary thing.... I don't know what are doing on the giraffes enclosure, but I think its an extension of the ramp to access to the dormitories. By the way, is only a small construction, as all the constructions is doing the zoo now due the paralization of the masterplan.

16. Sharak_Jek

The zoo finally started the refurbishing of the hippo enclosure:D

17. aim_foliksta

We don't know what will be done there... a friend heard a zookeeper saying something about the elephant dormitories (it's known that there are planned to be build in the former blesbok enclosure, between the giraffes an hippos). So, it's possible that the main movement is for the construction of the dormitories and maybe they will do a small improvement to the horrible hippo enclosure.
    Whatever they will build there, we must reminder that the masterplan is paused, and all the new exhibits are not the planned for the new zoo and are only provisional.

Some pictures of the works: Zoos del Mundo - Novedades III - Zoològic de Barcelona

18. Kifaru Bwana

Barcelona Zoo is a zoo of some repute and reknown in the zoo community. However, without any investment it must continue to struggle with the more visible down-sides of the zoo, in terms of hoofstock enclosures.

IMO it is self-evident a lack of vision on the Council and politicians to be squemish about any substantial investment on the zoo's behalf - which is a self-evident need -. In particular, some of the great ape areas, the Carnivore section and the hoofstock areas lack spendour ... and

If this is allowed to continue much longer, pretty soon the zoo will fall victim to the animal welfare lobby, who have become disinterested in bull fighting antics. :(

Please let someone break the stalemate and allow zoo management to realise Barcelona Zoo's potential and showcase its conservation work on site and in situ + the wonderful Masterplan showcased in the zoo education container building! :cool:

19. Sharak_Jek

Zoo news

Five females of Iberian wolf arrived from Montpiller during December.
    The zoo get three nilgai females.
    Aim_foliksta was right:the zoo is building the elephant dormitories in the former blesbok enclosure.The hippo cage is smaller than before.
    The zoo is building a new enclosure in the former lemur island.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Will they combine the portion of the old hippo pools still available (after the elephant stalls have been completed) and the old lemur/catta exhibit? The latter in itself seems as small as the old hippo area (given that the erstwhile plans were to really provide state-of-the-art hippo facilities for the Barcelona hippo family. (admittedly the old hippo exhibit was/is a veritable eye-sore, and that is putting it diplomatically)

What I continue to deplore vis a vis the Zoologico de Barcelona is that the socios continue to have to contend themselves with a substandard zoo in terms of animal welfare and that all major renovation plans and future masterplan actions have been frozen by the City Council. All the more so since zoo management and University have presented a very coherent plan on future zoo development (and I still live the Zoo Marina out of the equation here). I suppose Sharak and aimfoliksta agree on this with me (the local foros is quite clear in that respect). :(