Join our zoo community

Zoo Barcelona Zoològic de Barcelona News

Discussion in 'Spain' started by aim_foliksta, 22 Feb 2009.

1. aim_foliksta

aim_foliksta Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't really know if the haubour seals were added for the Marine Zoo as the project is cancelled (at least with the current Mayor) and when they arrived the future of the project was uncertain due financial problems. The sea lions are still at the Aquarama. The dolphins were separated before, as the two facilities (covered pavillion an Aquarama) have no connection between both. Now are all at the covered pavillion.

Somebody were asking before about the quetzals. I have bad news. The one that was on display is no longer on display and the info panel has been removed. According to ISIS now there are only one individual instead two. The one remaining is not on display. Maybe died.... I think that the remaing one will be sent to Zürich to form a couple (It's only my opinion, I don't know what the zoo will do).

This year the zoo is celebrating it's 120th anniversary and the 50th anniversary of the zoo magazine. The zoo has uploaded all the 68 magazines (since 1962) in PDF format and can be downloaded from its webside: La nostra revista (the first ones are in spanish and the others in catalan)

2. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info re: the marine mammals. Is the covered pool etc a significantly better or bigger exhibit? I would have liked to have seen the dolphins in the aquarama as the lack of underwater viewing is a shame and it was built for cetaceans. However I would never object to another pinniped species. :D Did they publish any info about the move? How new is the new pool?

EDIT: I have tried googling for info but I think the language difference shortens the results.

3. aim_foliksta

I don't know the exact water capacity of both exhibits, but I think that the coverered pavilion is smaller than the Aquarama (at least the depth). The only positive thing of the covered pavilion is that the dolphins can be separated in different pools and this was impossible at the Aquarama because is only a single pool (I think that this is the reason why the dolphins have been moved). All the other things are negative for me bacause there's no underwater viewing, less light to take photos and you can only see the dolphins during the shows (after doing a lot of queue).

Here you can see some pictures of the covered pavilion: http://zoosdelmundo.mforos.com/1523377/9607516-foto-review-colectivo/#93117385
    In the magazine nº 8, page 6, you can find the plans (with the measures) and some photos of the covered pavilion: http://www.zoobarcelona.cat/fileadmin/templates/img_content/el_zoo/revista/ZOO_1969_0008_00_NC.pdf (there are a lot of detailed information, but in spanish). I think that the pool has been modified and now is deeper.

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the info about the quetzal's! It's one of my favorite animals and one I'm trying to keep up with :)

5. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! Those are some interesting links! :) I shall utilise google translate and see what I get as my spanish is quite limited. :p

6. hadrada

hadrada Well-Known Member

Sadly the female gorilla Virunga died a few days ago,she had one offspring with Xebo..N'tua. :(

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is bad news as I believe she was the only surviving offspring of her mother (N'dengue) and has only the one daughter herself. So N'tua is genetically valuable. Virunga's father was Snowflake.

Any information on the whereabouts of the silverback 'Awali' would be welcome. Is he still living at Barcelona? :confused:

8. hadrada

As far as i know Awali is still living solitary at Barcelona. :(

9. hadrada

10. aim_foliksta

Asmara,the female Komodo dragon that arrived from Praha Zoo, has laid 23 eggs (16 viable) this week. There's the video of the moment when the members of the zoo retrieve the eggs from the nest:
    The back vultures also laid 2 eggs (first time at the zoo) but it's not sure if they are fertile eggs....

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  11. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

'Bully' a female African elephant will be moved from Valencia to Barcelona.
    'La vanguardia' newspaper says.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Her background is being an ex circus elephant. I take it Barca Zoo will take on the role of adoptive home for elderly non reproductive and non integrating females ...? Correct?

13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Barcelona`s enclosure is so small that it`s only "suitable" for elderly non reproductive females. I thought they had only space for 2 elephants, aren`t they full with those they already have? Or did one die?

14. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, no elephant has died in Barcelona.

15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can anyone confirm or not if there are any plans to replace the male Sumatran Tiger, "Barus" who died in 2011? Thanks in advance

17. aim_foliksta

The zoo said that there were plans to replace Barus, but for what I know currently there's only the female and the zoo did not said any update about this.

18. aim_foliksta

The last Thursday, 23, the zoo finally opened the exhibit for the breeding of the Montseny Newt (Calotriton arnoldi), a newt species endemic to the Montseny massif and to be more specific to an area of 40 squared kilometers on this massif, at about 50 km of Barcelona. It's a critically endangered species discovered on 2005. The zoo has been doing a breeding training with Pyrenean Newts before starting breeding the Montseny Newts. The exhibit has many information panels, a main aquarium with some decoration and then a lot of small aquariums with "larvae" and young newts.

[​IMG]

This is the main aquarium:

[​IMG]

And at each side the small aquariums:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This place was a former nursery, mainly for primates but I have also seen some leopard.... but have not been used as a nursery since many years.

19. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to Zootierliste, Zoo Barcelona holds Satéré marmosets (mico/callithrix saterei) since 2012. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, where the animals came from?

20. aim_foliksta

I've never seen this species at the zoo, at least on display.