Join our zoo community

Zoo Barcelona Zoològic de Barcelona News

Discussion in 'Spain' started by aim_foliksta, 22 Feb 2009.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nope, it is up the slope as you walk along up or down that way.

Dear Pertinax and others: Yes, the enclosures may not be grand and wide expanses ... as some might wish, but the Zoo happens to be in is in a city park with few options for expansion. It is surrounded on all sides by the Botanical Gardens that might be part of a Greater Zoo, but all past and present Municipal Governments have not shown any great foresight. Nay, even the regional Parliament which is on its doorstep could not care less.

Further, all past and present Municipality (overrun with new vision antis ..) administrations have been stalling over the zoo's future for years or have been presenting plans and then doing zilch about them. Unless, they do get serious and it will take another Vote for a new administration to do so, the animals will have to do with the small part of the entire park they have at their disposal.

Finally and despite all constraints in size and development Zoologic de Barcelona is renowned for its primate collection, management and husbandry and this being particularly true for some of the rarer and management-wise more difficult species like these mangabeys. Here, their breeding success over the years is unsurpassed in Europe (and whereas only now being copied elsewhere) has enabled the EAZA/EEP to be more serious about this threatened African rainforest primates.

2. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The mangabeys were in the ugly little glass cubes near the entrance. This new exhibit is much better.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I did go to Barcelona Zoo many years ago primarily to see Snowflake, the white gorilla, so am familiar with the location- right near the station! I know they hold the White-naped and Cherry-crowned Mangabey studbooks there also and have had good success with these, and with other African primates like Drills also, despite rather limited housing. I was just a bit surprised how small this new enclosure looks, but it may be the photo angle.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

During the past night, intruders have broken into the zoo grounds, broken open an aviary, from which 18 birds have escaped, including scarlet ibis, spoonbill, lapwings and others.

Zoos del Mundo

5. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems that all (except one) birds have recovered / returned.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  6. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new master plan has been revealed and over 100 "exotic" species will leave barcelona zoo which will focus on meditterean fauna. To me this sounds like a unnecessary attempt to get along with the extreme animal rights groups that are supported my the mayor. Sure the elephants can go, but 100 species, really why ?. What will be left ? What do the spanish zoochaters think of this ?
    lavanguardia.com/local/barcelona/20180319/441699356239/zoo-de-barcelona-prescindir-especies-exoticas.html

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that Iberian Lynx will be going to Barcelona soon then?

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What a stupid idea. I'm agree with @carlos55 that this would be completely unnecessary (except that I would keep elephants, but would let go/reduce other species instead).
    The responsible board should think about what Barcelona Zoo is famous/well known for (and this are not mediterranean animals at first) and what local people prefer to see (again: this are not mediterranean animals at first).

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Let's just wait how much of this will actually be realized. The zoo has just invested a lot in enclosures for their African species and an awful lot of money would be necessary for such a make over. Maybe a mediterranean exhibit or two will be opened and the master plan will have changed again....

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  10. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Work was still ongoing at the African Savanah exhibit last weekend.

11. Clem

Clem Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can't wait to see it finished, last summer it was a big work. But sadly, they include one more time big species in this small place.

12. aim_foliksta

aim_foliksta Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Saharawi dorcas gazelles will join the giraffes on its exhibit, as two weekends ago I saw at least three of them inside the giraffe shelter. Currently the giraffes already share its exhibit with one African spurred tortoise.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Chatt Wolf and JigerofLemuria like this.
  14. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this a actual mixed exhibit? Like, can they interact with each other? Or is there just a smaller area away from the giraffes for the lonely tortoise? Or how should I imagine this, it sounds a bit like a odd mix for sure!

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  16. JigerofLemuria

They're truly mixed, and there's a bachelor group of dorcas gazelles too.

Kifaru Bwana and Ursus like this.
  17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Frustratingly for me, it appears the Lesser Grey Shrikes are once again offshow - their exhibit was being renovated this morning.

18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. JigerofLemuria

I've noticed that Zootierliste still labels certain species within the Barcelona Zoo that are no longer present, so I'll make a list of species that aren't in the collection anymore:
    - Wapiti (Cervus canadensis); the last two females passed away from old age
    - Nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus), moved to another collection
    - South African cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus jubatus), the last female passed away from old age
    - Patas monkey (Erythrocebus patas), moved to another collection
    - Morelet's crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii), the individual passed away
    - Spectacled caiman (Caiman crocodilus), the pair passed away from old age
    - Cuban boa (Chilabothrus angulifer), the pair passed away from old age
    - Common boa (Boa constrictor), the individual passed away from old age
    - African rock python (Python sebae), the individual passed away from old age
    - Reticulated python (Malayopython reticulatus), the individual passed away from old age
    - Koi carp (Cyprinus carpio); randomly disappeared from the pond in the farm

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

AWP likes this.