Join our zoo community

Zoological inaccuracies & mistakes

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Elephas Maximus, 27 Jul 2020.

1. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

long-beaked-echidna-1-728.jpg

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How does the echidna distinguish the aunts from the uncles? There are lots of spelling mistakes and no mention of earthworms.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Reads like a very poor translation. Poor spelling, not really much like a platypus, won’t eat your auntie......

4. Dassie rat

It depends if your auntie is an earthworm. Does Ollie Gokeeta still contribute to Zoochat?

5. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

I know this is an oldish post, but this is just a tiny fraction of the nonsense this book features. Among other things, it lists mousebirds (Coliiformes) as part of the Ciconiiformes!

6. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A bit of a less troubling book: Jerry Pallota's Extinct Animal Alphabet Book.
    upload_2020-12-24_11-27-57.png

I'm a bit nitpicky that they didn't specify which Akioloa, but based on the imagery I'm going with the Kauai Akioloa. Akioloa could actually indicate any species. It seems that it wasn't just one that died of a non-specific 'bird disease' as the book puts it, but a few disappeared like this. As a side note, some think there may be a possibility that the Kauai Akioloa still exists, albeit in fragmented populations.
    upload_2020-12-24_11-31-40.png
    Whilst Bluebucks were hunted to extinction, I couldn't find anything specifying dog food as being a root cause of hunting.
    upload_2020-12-24_11-32-50.png
    I couldn't actually find what species of bat the book was referring to. There are some critically endangered bats of Jamaica, but I couldn't find anything about this extinct one.
    upload_2020-12-24_11-34-21.png
    This I think is actually a half error, because the book seems to be talking about the Norfolk Kaka specific. However, other Kaka species still survive, despite what may be indicated.
    *Error Removed, in name of retroactive fairness*
    upload_2020-12-24_11-40-59.png
    Yes, but which split-jawed snake species? One of them is still extant.
    upload_2020-12-24_11-44-16.png
    From what I could find, Urogomphus does not refer to a 'giant extinct dragonfly', and is not even a genus name. It seems to refer to 'a paired structure, in the larvae and/or pupae of certain coleopterans, which grows out of the tergum of the last body segment and projects beyond the tip' as Wiktionary puts it.
    upload_2020-12-24_11-50-53.png
    Vieraella actually lived ~200 million years ago.
    *Error removed, as the study was done several decades later*
    upload_2020-12-24_11-54-53.png
    Again, I'm not sure what exact species Pallotta is referring to.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 24 Dec 2020
  7. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Hmm. There were two species of Round Island Boa, the arboreal species is still extant, the burrowed believed extinct. Although one meaning of Urogomphus is the appendage, another meaning is as a generic name for Solnhofen fossil dragonflies. I suspect the bee-eater is a reference to oo species, which I could see being originally classified as bee-eaters based on superficial similarity, and the poor joke is just too tempting to include.

8. Dassie rat

I don't think it's fair to criticise a book for zoological inaccuracies if the information was correct at the time of printing. In 1927, Lilian Gask wrote the following in 'All about Animals': "In Java and Sumatra there are so many tigers that some years ago Dutch merchants complained that they interfere with the delivery of coffee by lurking along their routes."

9. Cassidy Casuar

Screenshot_20201225-073700_YouTube.jpg

Birdsage and CheeseChameleon1945 like this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The book was published in 1993, when the Akioloa were generally treated as being one species with several subspecies, so the book is correct with the then-current taxonomy.

Pretty much any account of the Bluebuck's extinction will say that while the antelope were being hunted for their skins, the meat was fed to dogs because it tasted too bad to be eaten by people.

Here are you seriously asking "Of the two species, which one is extinct? The extinct one or the extant one?"

As @Tetzoo Quizzer says, Urogomphus is a genus of fossil dragonflies.

This is the only one of your "errors" which is actually an error. The author means "Yellow-tufted Honeyeater", which is an alternative name for the Oahu O'o. He has mistakenly called it "bee eater" and then compounded that mistake with the joke about the letters of the alphabet.

11. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Umm.........
    Couldn't you answer that yourself? If one is extinct, than it has to be the extinct one. :confused:
    Bolyeria.

12. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What I intended here was that the name given here could be applied to either snake species, they didn't specify if it was the burrowing one or the arboreal one.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  13. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Yes, but the fact is one is extinct and one is not, so if their talking about an extinct species it doesn't matter if its the burrowing one or arboreal one.

14. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

15. Elephas Maximus

Rostov Zoo in Russia has African elephant on the logo, this species was never kept here
    [​IMG]

16. The Cassowary

The Cassowary Well-Known Member

Adult ostriches in Planet Zoo make baby ostrich sounds

17. Cassidy Casuar

The logo of the New Zealand Pet & Animal Expo includes an iguana. Iguanas cannot be kept as pets in New Zealand, nor can zoo staff bring them to these events.
    Pet Expo.jpg

Tafin, Elephas Maximus and Zoofan15 like this.
  18. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m still trying to work out what the hell that bird’s meant to be? A Sulfur crested cockatoo that had it’s yellow crest shaved off?

Tafin and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  19. Cassidy Casuar

Given how popular the species is in captivity here, I agree that the bird in the logo is most likely to be a poor depiction of a sulphur-crested cockatoo. To be honest, the first thing that I thought it could be is a white rose-ringed parakeet. It could also be an umbrella cockatoo or a corella, I suppose.

Tafin likes this.
  20. Elephas Maximus

In Dora and the Lost City of Gold movie there are pygmy elephants in South America

evilmonkey239 and MonkeyBat like this.