Join our zoo community

ZooParc de Beauval Zooparc de Beauval news 2022

Discussion in 'France' started by Valentin, 12 Jan 2022.

1. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

The zoo continues its development with the renovation of the old bird aviaries.

At the same time, the zoo is building a hotel in place of a former hospital in the center of Saint Aignan. It will be called "The shores of Beauval" and will have as its theme South America, with a Mexican atmosphere. It will have 139 rooms and two restaurants.

In the zoo, the pedagogy of the park will be reviewed with new panels, the development of the Beauval Nature area but also the creation of an ecocentre.

ZooParc de Beauval à Saint-Aignan : un nouvel hôtel en construction en bord de Cher

Antoine, Mickey and twilighter like this.
  2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo is upgrading the guenons aviaries. From what I saw on a fan's Facebook page they raise the night house and merge the aviaries (from eight to four). It will have the same looking thant the new parrots aviaries.

I was expecting more for the animals but it's better than nothing ;) I hope now the animals will have lush vegetation to bring some shadow and allow some privacy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Le ZooParc de Beauval vu par Didy

snowleopard and Rajang-GOAT like this.
  3. Antoine

Last edited: 28 Jan 2022
  4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Female manatee born on January 23rd. Beauval now has 14 manatees, the largest group in Europe.

5. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Last news of the Zooparc de Beauval :
    • births of different animals since the beginning of the winter : 2 Mossy Frogs, 4 Capybaras (2M,2F), 1 Red-flanked Lorikeet, 3 Sitatungas, 1 Kirk's Dik-dik, 4 Naked Mole-rats, 1 White-faced Saki, 1 Rainbow Lorikeet...
    • the 2 young Pumas born in late 2021 are one male and one female, they have received their names : PANAMA and SANGHA. They are the offspring of MAPOU (the only adult male) and SHEENA.
    • the recently refurbished restaurant "La Roseraie" has just reopened.

6. Antoine

Some news about building works :

A passage has been redone between the second (sandy) and the third elephant enclosures. The bridge was there for a long time but it seems that is was not in use. I don't konw if it is just ot allow engines to go in or for the elephants to change of enclosures. Other thing I notice : the ditches has been redone too.

[​IMG]

Some other pictures found there Le ZooParc de Beauval vu par Didy about the refurbished parrots aviaries :

In the parrots raw near the ducks stream
    [​IMG]

And in the parrots rotunda
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for those who want to visit the zoo some images of the future new hotel (called Les Rivages de Beauval) in the city centre :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That elephant bridge, if that is what it is definitely unsafe for use by elephants at present. Or us that not what it is for?

Do we have a plan for the current elephant exhibit and enclosures indoor and outdoor.

8. Antoine

As I said it could be for engines but not sure. Of course it's unsafe but who knows is the works are finished ?

Plan or map ? What do you want to see exactly ?

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A plan of the elephant exhibit, the outlay and setting.

10. Antoine

Another birth of a reticulated giraffe february 28th and it's a boy. Maïwenn is born from mother Baya and father Momo. This is the third births for the zoo in three years. The group is now of 8 animals.

11. Antoine

Some news and pictures from my recent visit :

Tropical dome
    - the red-shanked doucs outside aviary was occupied by european white storks,

- the doucs are still very shy. Just five (including the last baby) were on view. They spend all there time high on the trunk or attached to the net and just came back for food. The others were locked in one of the off-show room.

[​IMG]

- saw for the first time the two giant asian pond turtles and really closed to the visitors (some children were touching one of the animal).

[​IMG]

- saw for the first time the red-eyed tree frog

[​IMG]

- there is now two or three touch panels where you can see which bird species are free-flying and a part of the fish species kept in the dome (in the manatees, pygmy hippos and tomistoma's pools + entrance tunnel). It's not excellent but better than nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gorillas tropical house
    - works were being done in the upper part of the first gorillas indoor. No more info about them.

- white-lipped mud turtle (new species) are now presented in a small opened enclosure in front of the gorillas indoor. Saw one with another which looks like a neotropical painted wood turtle (this species is already presented in the reptile house).

[​IMG]
    New white-lipped mud turtle exhibit with...a painted wood turtle

- outside the house, just after the exit, I was for the first time the poison frogs breeding nursery. You can see the same species you find on-show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monkeys and reptiles tropical house
    - no asian water monitor on show. In their previous enclosure were two smooth-fronted caimans so one more than before).

[​IMG]

- the spinytail iguanas are now labelled and are two (with painted wood turtles and green basiliks).

Australia house
    - the reef aquarium was empty for refurbishment.

- the bearded dragons terrarium has been put down. Nothing was at the same place.

Birds tropical house
    - I was shocked how was empty the place. A lot of rare birds have not been replaced.

- just saw one Pesquet parrot. A pity !

- the only good news is that a pair of blue-crowned laughing thrushs are now where the green broadbill and other rarities were.

[​IMG]

- two grey-winged trumpeters are in the last aviary before the exit (with a single toco tucan). There are two others in the tropical dome.

- the javan chevrotains are now free in the house.

- the javan rhinoceros hornbill pair have switched with the single female so now they have no access outside.

Parrots aviaries
    - there are still three or four to be refurbished. The others are done but quite empty at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- blue ground-dove (have arrived) in the aviary first refurbished last year (with the sun conures).

Monkey/guenons aviaries
    - there is still a lot of works on the house and facilities in the aviaries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elephants exhibit :
    - the six ladies were together outside in the main paddock.

- Akili, the bull, was separeted in the third paddock and was seemingly in musth.

[​IMG]

- I can confirm that the moat of the second (sand) paddock has been redone.

[​IMG]

Off-show

Two new off-show facilities have been built behind the vet building. You can spot them on the next picture (in the centre).

[​IMG]

Don't know the purpose but maybe it is used now to house the parrots during the works on their aviaries.

Finally, as it has been revealed on the french forum, four new large aviaries will be created in the near future. Three on new lands (including a giant one) and one in an historic part.

12. 1Squirrel monkey

1Squirrel monkey Well-Known Member

I heard that the aviary held roseate spoonbills and scarlet ibises, assume they are gone now?

So the enclosure holds both the white-lipped mud turtle and painted wood turtle?

A shame, so the green broadbill is gone? I didn’t hear about that until now… If it’s not too much work, could you make a list of all the species the house still holds (preferably organised in aviaries and Free-flight) (Maybe you already have such a list)

Amazing! Though I can hardly imagine that there are so many species they could add, haha. Would be awesome if I could see (some of) them during my visit in august.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Antoine

1Squirrel monkey likes this.
  14. Haliaeetus

Several births have been recorded in late winter 2021-22 : 2 Dwarf Mongooses, 4 Meerkats (born the 15/02/22), 1 Callimico, 1 Javan Lutung and 1 Bongo, according to the last zoo newsletter.
    Additionnally I've seen a baby Colombian Black Spider Monkey during my last visit the 06/03/22 ; the last births of this species were recorded in december 2018.

Gil and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Tree-kangourou 78

Tree-kangourou 78 New Member

Hello everybody !

The green bill and the White-rumped shama couple are back on stage in the bird tropical house.

Here is the list of birds present in the bird tropical house. This might not be completely exhaustive for free-flight birds. It comes from several visits in 2022 (February and March).
    Apologies in advance for possible translation errors on the species common name in English.

Birds in the aviary:

- Papuan lorikeet ( Charmosyna papou )
    - C
    ollared kingfisher ( Todiramphus chloris)
    - Rhinoceros hornbill of java ( Buceros rhinoceros silvestris )
    -
    Rothschild's mynah ( Leucopsar rothschildi)
    - C
    hannel billed toucan ( Ramphastos vitellinus )
    -
    Yellow-bibbed lory ( Lorius chlorocercus )
    - Pink-headed fruit dove ( Ptilinopus porphyreus )
    -
    Luzon bleeding-heart ( Gallicolumba luzonica )
    - Red-flanked lorikeet (Hypocharmosyna placentis )
    -
    Blue-crowned laughingthrush ( Copsychus malabaricus )
    -
    Green broadbill ( Calyptomena viridis )
    - White-rumped shama ( Copsychus malabaricus )
    - Pesquet's parrot ( Psittrichas fulgidus )
    -
    Guianan cock-of-the-rock ( Rupicola rupicola ) ( only female )
    - Grey-winged trumpeter ( Psophia crepitans )
    -
    Toco toucan ( Ramphastos toco )

Bird in free-flight ( some species have individuals in the aviary and in free-flight ) :

- Violet-backed starling ( Cinnyricinclus leucogaster ) ( only female )
    - Jungle myna ( Acridotheres fuscus )
    - Bank myna ( Acridotheres fuscus )
    -
    Red-whiskered bulbul ( Pycnonotus jocosus )
    -
    Asian glossy starling ( Aplonis panayensis )
    - Red-billed leiothrix ( Leiothrix lutea )
    -
    Common bulbul ( Pycnonotus barbatus )
    -
    Superb starling ( Lamprotornis superbus )
    -
    Java sparrow ( Padda oryzivora )
    -
    Red fody ( Foudia madagascariensis )
    -
    Crested partridge ( Rollulus rouloul )
    -
    Rainbow lorikeet ( Trichoglossus moluccanus )
    -
    Nicobar pigeon ( Caloenas nicobarica )
    -
    Speckled mousebird ( Colius striatus )
    -
    Yellow-streaked lory ( Chalcopsitta scintillata )
    -
    Black-necked stilt ( Himantopus mexicanus )
    -
    Boat-billed heron ( Cochlearius cochlearius )
    -
    Black-naped fruit dove ( Ptilinopus melanospilus )
    -
    sunbitter ( Eurypyga helias )
    -
    Guianan cock-of-the-rock ( Rupicola rupicola ) ( only female )
    - C
    ollared kingfisher ( Todiramphus chloris)
    - White-rumped shama ( Copsychus malabaricus )
    -
    Luzon bleeding-heart ( Gallicolumba luzonica )
    -
    Rothschild's mynah ( Leucopsar rothschildi)
    -
    Victoria crowned pigeon ( Goura victoria )
    -
    Red crested cardinal ( Paroaria coronata )
    -
    Common bronze wing ( Phaps chalcoptera )
    -
    White-crowned robin-chat ( Cossypha albicapilla )
    -
    Pink-headed imperial pigeon ( Ducula rosacea )

Mammals :

- Linnaeus's two-toed sloth ( Choloepus didactylus) ( death of both individuals )
    - Azara's agouti (Dasyprocta azarae)
    - Java mouse-deer (Tragulus javanicus)
    - Large hairy armadillo ( Chaetophractus villosus )
    - Southern three-banded armadillo ( Tolypeutes matacus )

Birds no longer featured since recently :

- Pied avocet (Recurvirostra avosetta)
    - Wattled jacana ( Jacana jacana)
    - Great blue turaco ( Corythaeola cristata )

During my last visits, I have always seen two individuals in the aviary
    But otherwise, I share the observation, since the renovation of the bird greenhouse in 2013, the number of species presented has tended to decrease inside

16. Antoine

Some news from the new press kit :
    - some new bird species will be on show in the refurbished aviaries at the entrance : great argus (formely kept), elegant crested tinamou, black-cheeked lovebird, great curassow (formely kept), bare-faced curassow, pink-necked green pigeon (already noted on Zootierliste), Lord Derby's parakeet and palawan peacock pheasant.
    - the bearded vulture female has a new clutch with two eggs. One was bring to a breeding facility in Spain. Both eggs have hatched and the chicks are healthy.
    - only one baby douc is mentionned. As Beauval never speaks about animal deaths I suppose the two other babies born last year died.

And another info from a fan Facebook page : a new walkway and a terrace have been built on the african plain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You’re Temporarily Blocked

17. Antoine

Some interesting news regarding the future : the zoo will invest 50 millions in the next three years for 3/4 projects :
    - a new large south american aviary of 30 meters high and 1,6 hectare presented as the largest in Europe. Opening in 2023/2024.
    - a new entrance aviary with a brand new building and a tunnel to allow visitors to come from the car park without crossing the road.
    - the new hotel in the former hospital in the city center (147 rooms).
    - a two storey car park on a former factory.

Beauval en passe de créer la plus grande volière d’Europe !

18. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How many hotels does Beauval have?

19. Tree-kangourou 78

Tree-kangourou 78 New Member

The Zooparc de Beauval has three hotels ("Les Jardins de Beauval", "Les Pagodes de Beauval" and "Les Hauts de Beauval") with a total of 363 rooms. As well as a hotel residence with 17 apartments.
    "Les Rivages de Beauval" will therefore be their fifth hotel site ( with 147 or 149 rooms, I read both )

20. Haliaeetus

Some births have been recorded in the last weeks : 3 Indian Porcupines, 1 Takin and 1 Somali Wild Ass.

The newly refurbished aviaries near the entrance are geographically-themed : Australia, Papua, Madagascar, Central America...

Last edited: 12 Apr 2022