Join our zoo community

Zoopark Chomutov Zoopark Chomutov

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Allerlei, 23 Mar 2009.

1. Allerlei

Allerlei New Member

Hello,

Zoopark Chomutov is near my city and my parents took me there quite often when I was small child so I'm quite interested in this place.

This zoopark is for mostly european and asian animals and is member of projects to recover number of animals in wildlife, f.e. EEP.

Last new from this ZOO is about the Alpine Ibex.

The Alpine Ibexes (Capra ibex) are bred in Chomutov since 1995. In April 2009 five Ibexes will be send to ZOO Innsbruck and after acclimatization they will be unpen to the austrian Alps.
    The same thing was done in June 2006 when they unpenned six Ibexes.

[​IMG]

Web pages: http://zoopark.cz

Last edited: 23 Mar 2009
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

3. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ahoj Allerlei,
    Alpine ibexes are not covered up in EEP, there are two other species of ibexes in EEP, Nubian ibexes and West Caucasian turs.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Allerlei

Allerlei New Member

Really? I have this information by ZOO webpages :rolleyes: Maybe it's my mistake in translation... it's Kozorožec alpský in czech so I thought it's Alpine ibex in english... I'll search if it's the same specie or not... thanks...

EDIT: Mhm, I look at that article again and they really have there they are in EEP (Tato zvířata jsou zařazena do záchranného programu EEP, který má napomoci jejich návratu a udržení populace ve volné přírodě.). But in list of animals in EEP it's not... that weird :D But thank you :D

5. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Allerlei
    You translation is good:), to see all species covered up in EEP, have a look on webpage European Association of Zoos and Aquaria - EAZA, there you will find a complete list of all animals and there are no Alpine ibexes, there has to be a mistake on the webpage of Chomutov zoo. They are no endangered specie, so there is no need to create EEP for them.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Alpine ibex populations are considered Least Concern under IUCN's criteria. The entire population is around 31,000 in the sub Alpine countries of Switzerland, Austria, France and Italy. The population is fragmented in Germany at just over 200 and another reintroduced population exists in Slovenia (ca. 250). Populations are thankfully increasing and are robust in Switzerland (15,000) and Italy (ca. 10,000).

What remains curious to say the least is that African elephants are classified as a whole as near threatened, whereas their overall populations are considerably larger than any of the ibex taxa around today. Sometimes, the guidelines are geared towards the mega vertebrates at the expense of others ...

7. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

If anyone can help me, I'm doing a personal research analysis on European zoos, including Chomutov. For my reseach, I need the following animal collection statistics:

#Species #Animals
    Mammals
    Birds
    Reptiles
    Amphibians
    Fish
    Invertebrates

I also need the most recent estimate of the Zoo's annual Attendance.

Is there some website where these numbers are available for the Czech zoos? I've tried contacting the zoo but haven't yet heard back from them.

8. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo received a 8 years old male Greenland muskox (Ovibos moschatus wardi) from Krefeld, with the name Saamic, and it hopes a female muskox can be sourced too.

The 10 years old Golden takn bull Golda returned to Liberec to be a newbreeding bull. Two young bull takins from Liberec came in exchange.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Jana

The zoopark is opening on Monday its first own rooms available for booking. Price is around 140 eur per night for whole family (two adults + children).

A nice historic half-timbered farm building within zoopark areal, reconstructed and equipped with modern amenities (bathroom, heating, kitchen etc.). Guests can visit the zoopark for free including outside official opening hours. They can take care of sheep and chicken, enjoy "farm lifestyle". Popular lake for swimming and water sports is just few hundred meters away.

In other news, the zoopark has been stagnating for a few years, so the town hall decided it needs a new long-term investment plan, it should be developed over summer. In autumn, the interim director steps down so a job of zoopark director will be available.

13. Jana

An obligatory article about baby animals who were born last year at the zoopark:

Two Bactrian deer (Cervus elaphus bactrianus) fawns. The zoopark keeps a studbook of the European population (70 animals).

9 Sheltopusik babies hatched. The zoopark has a reliable breeding group and quality wintering conditions that results in numerous hatchlings every year.

One northern hawk-owl chick and 13! Siberian weasel (Mustela sibirica) babies reared.

A female white-tailed eagle chick hatched, but its parents were non-reliable. It was hand-reared for 12 days by keepers and then adopted by an foster eagle pair at Liberec zoo. After weaning, it got transported to Ostrava zoo where it joined a group of immature sea eagles to socialize and hopefully find a future partner.

Other babies reared - wisent, Bactrian camel, European moose, Alpine ibex, black-crowned night heron, crested porcupine, Siberian flying squirrel.

The zoopark also runs a dog shelter with around 160 stray dogs accepted and rehomed annually and a wildlife rescue station that cares for cca 350 ill/injured animals per year.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2021
  14. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On Jan. 4 a Great white pelican hatched at the Zoo :).

HungarianBison and Antoine like this.
  15. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zürich published its masterplan yesterday and today, it was Zoopark Chomutov's turn [​IMG]

The masterplan should be realized during the next cca 10 years and will transform the current somewhat unorganized layout to park with 5 biome-specific areas (mountains, woods, water, plains, arctic) while retaining the Palearctic species specialization. The masterplan was done by an architecture company that designed pretty much all modern exhibits in Prague Zoo.

There are species lists for each biome (right now more or less ideas rather than something certain) with each biome having "flagship species" as well (usually something visitor-favorite). Most interesting details from the species list:

• They are thinking about an attempt to establish saiga again.

• Other rarities mentioned as something that could be "fitting well": Altai snowcock, Rock ptarmigan, Sable, Russian desman, Northern pika, Arctic ground squirrel, Mongolian long-tailed ground squirrel, Marbled polecat.

Masterplan in full (there are some example graphics "how it could look" at the end of it)

17. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow!
    Polar bears?? (even if I am a little bit disappointed about lack of walrus - weren´t they planned by former director, before he left?)
    Of course, its only plan- lets see what of it will come into reality...

18. Jana

That plan is nice and all but this is just a vision prepaired by an outside company on behalf of the zoo director (not so much different from all these fantasy zoos that members post here on Zoochat). Now, the municipality (who owns the zoo) must decide if they like it and if they accept it as its masterplan or if they discard it or will require large changes. So far they ignore it. Personally, I don´t believe in polar bears@Co at all. Chomutov doesn´t have funds for anything similar. If they finally manage to build something nicer for their seals and small carnvores in next 10 years, I will be more than happy with result.

twilighter, csartie and Zorro like this.
  19. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The way I see it:

• the city would be stupid to reject it, minor tweaks could be possible (i. e. spreading it to a longer timeframe as the yearly costs written there are way to much for a city like Chomutov), but all in all, it is a good plan to go by and generally money well spent (in an almost striking contrast with Plzen's elephants)
    • I don't think the species list was completely done by the architects, the zoologists had to have at least general consultations with them about it, however some of the species mentioned do feel extremely out of place.
    • I'm like 99% certain that polar bears won't ever be happening unless zoo receives some stupendous amount of money and it was just some random idea kind of like "a cherry on top"

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Jana

Still invisible but already loud - a litter of wolverine pups was born in January! The first time ever this species bred at Chomutov. The new male from Russia seems to do his job well...