Join our zoo community

Zoos at Risk of Losing AZA Accreditation

Discussion in 'United States' started by Neil chace, 17 Nov 2021.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

After witnessing four zoos lose their AZA Accreditation this cycle, I've started to wonder about the implications of this for future cycles, as the AZA standards continue to rise. What currently accredited zoos or aquariums do you believe are most likely to lose AZA accreditation next time they are up? Obviously not all of our predictions will turn out to be correct, but I do think this will be an interesting topic to speculate/discuss. Some of the most well-traveled members of ZooChat (@snowleopard) may be especially good at answering this question.

2. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know that Stone Zoo has nearly lost accreditation in the past (around 2015), but I am unsure as to whether this may continue to be an issue in the future.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Neil chace

I'm aware of the past issues Stone has had, but believe that most of them have been fixed by the zoo. Since last accreditation cycle, they have opened Caribbean Coast, giving a much better home for their flamingoes, the animal with arguably the worst home in the zoo before. I believe most of the issues Stone had have been solved, although I could be wrong on that. Stone Zoo also isn't up for their next accreditation until 2025, so they have some time to fix any potential issues the AZA could have.

4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

What are these four zoos?

5. Neil chace

Columbus, Safari West, Erie, and Chahinkapa.

Bengal Tiger and StoppableSan like this.
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I honestly think that it's too difficult to predict what zoos might possibly lose AZA accreditation. It's actually quite nice to see the organization clamp down on offenders, and zoos such as Montgomery and Pittsburgh have willingly given up their accreditation in the past due to a variety of reasons (mainly elephant-related). Honolulu has lost its accreditation on several occasions, Niabi was removed a while ago, and now Chahinkapa, Columbus, Erie and Safari West all getting booted out within a short time period has been shocking.

Sometimes zoos lose accreditation for purely financial reasons, such as Zoo Montana. That small facility is one that I've visited twice, with all the outdoor exhibits of a reasonable quality. However, the zoo had funding issues and financial problems that a regular visitor would never have been aware of. Thankfully, Zoo Montana regained its AZA accreditation and is good until September 2025.

I think that smaller zoos with limited resources can sometimes struggle to pass the AZA accreditation process, so a place like Bramble Park Zoo in South Dakota would be an example of a zoo that relies on community goodwill and local donations. Charles Paddock Zoo has made a lot of improvements since I visited a decade ago, but the AZA somehow allows the facility to keep a tiger in an enclosure that is clearly inadequate. I was not at all impressed with Ellen Trout Zoo in Texas, but somehow that place is still accredited until March 2023. Jenkinson's Aquarium in New Jersey keeps seals in a tiny, all-indoor pool that's not very pleasant, but the facility is accredited until March 2024. All those places could be contenders to lose accreditation if the AZA continues to be vigilant with zoos.

Here is the list (from the AZA website) in regards to evaluations in 2022:

Accreditation Applicants
    Africam Safari Park
    Aquarium of the Pacific
    Boonshoft Museum of Discovery
    Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
    Cabrillo Marine Aquarium
    California Science Center
    Cameron Park Zoo
    Central Florida Zoo
    CuriOdyssey
    Fresno Chaffee Zoo
    Gulf World
    Happy Hollow Zoo
    Lion Country Safari
    Marineland
    Museum of Life and Science
    Naples Zoo
    New England Aquarium
    Oregon Coast Aquarium
    Parque Zoológico de León
    Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach
    San Francisco Zoo
    SEA LIFE Arizona Aquarium
    Texas State Aquarium
    Wonders of Wildlife
    Zoológico de Cali

Certification Applicants
    Lemur Conservation Foundation
    Turtle Conservancy

7. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Central Florida zoo is one I could see. Knowing that facilty well, their financial situation is always a struggle and really don't have any impressive (sometimes adequate/safe) exhibits.

Neil chace likes this.
  8. Animallover360

Animallover360 Well-Known Member

I think that Stone Zoo has improved a lot in the past few years. Caribbean Coast has been a really nice edition to the zoo with good enclosures. Stone Zoo’s biggest weakness right now I’d say is Windows to the Wild. It has concrete floors, and many exhibits are pretty bare. I think in the next few years the zoo will make plans to fix it, though.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Bengal Tiger

Columbus!? I had no idea!!! Do you know why?

Animallover360 likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

iluvwhales, TinoPup and Bengal Tiger like this.
  11. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

iluvwhales, TinoPup and Bengal Tiger like this.
  12. Bengal Tiger

13. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Adding on to @snowleopard's post, while not on the list for direct inspection in 2022, both the Maryland Zoo and National Aquarium will be co-hosting the 2022 AZA Conference in Baltimore. Both facility's inspections will occur in 2023. Officials of the Inspection Committee will indirectly be looking at both facilities while they visit the zoo and aquarium. I know the leadership from both institutions are acting like this will be a "pre-inspection" so to speak. I'm not sure about the aquarium, but I know the zoo's funding from the State is conditional on remaining AZA Accredited, which is not uncommon, but adds to the pressure to make sure everything is in line. I feel like most institutions are thinking nothing is guaranteed anymore.

14. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

An advantage that larger facilities have over smaller ones is that they are more likely to have members of their staff that conduct AZA accreditation inspections. That greatly enhances their ability to prepare.

15. phraps

phraps Member

The New England Aquarium isn't AZA accredited? That actually really surprises me. Did they lose it recently or something?

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The New England Aquarium has been AZA accredited for decades. That list is for already accredited institutions who are coming up to their next inspection.

17. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually the list mixes accredited and non-accredited institutions. Wonders of wildlife is non-accredited yet it is hoping to join the AZA. Judging from everything I have seen about them, they are one of the best aquariums in the country so I wish them luck.

snowleopard and TinoPup like this.
  18. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gulf World, Marineland (assuming the one in St Augustine), and Wonders of Wildlife are the three USA places on the list that are new applicants

snowleopard and nczoofan like this.