Join our zoo community

Zoos in US with a Lammergeier

Discussion in 'United States' started by bizzoblaze, 16 Aug 2012.

1. bizzoblaze

bizzoblaze Member

does anyone know any zoos in the us with a Lammergeier? preferably near the Midwest like Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, that area...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_Vulture]Bearded Vulture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was curious about your question and did a google search to see if any U.S. bearded vultures showed up. It seems that there are some European zoos that have (or had) them like the Vienna Zoo and the Innsbruck Alpine Zoo, but I can't find any indication that any American zoos have them. Interestingly the Henry Vilas Zoo in Wisconsin has a coloring activity page with one on it for the 2011 Vulture Awareness Day (but this zoo appears to only have turkey vultures): http://www.vilaszoo.org/uploads/media/Vulture_Coloring_page--Lammergeier.pdf

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

a lammergeier at San Diego Zoo in 2008 (maybe one of the Californians will know if they still have them?):
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37815170@N00/2673993352/"]Lammergeier, San Diego Zoo3210_29_05. | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

EDIT: I just found another site that says they are no longer at the zoo sorry

4. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know that San Diego Zoo has them (or at least had them while I was visiting it about 5 years ago). They are/were exhibited in one of the big birds of prey aviaries on the way from the polar bears to the hippo exhibit.
    But indeed bearded vultures seem to be a very rare specie in North American zoos. According to my data (i.e. globalspecies) there are no more other institutions in USA or Canada keeping them, while in Europe, you can find them in many zoos and parks.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There are currently around 40 European zoos with Lammergeier: ZootierlisteHomepage

Would have to check photos but pretty sure I saw Lammergeier at San Diego in 1998.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I found a site dated 2011-2012 that says the lammergeiers are no longer on display at San Diego

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And last I heard San Diego only had one lammergeier, who knows if they still do.