Join our zoo community

Zoos in Wales?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CZSGOV, 24 Mar 2017.

1. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

I am planning to visit my cousins in Wales in the fall and was wondering what zoos are in Wales that I should visit.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ther are several zoos in Wales, but generally of the smaller variety! For big animals, the Welsh Mountain Zoo (Colwyn Bay) in the north and Folly Farm (Begelly, Pembrokeshire) in the south are the best bets, still not massive places but worth a look.

That said, there are some much bigger/more significant zoos not far over the border - Chester is just barely in England by the North Wales border and Bristol is close in the south.

Whereabouts in Wales will you be? Its geography is such that travel across into England is often easier than trying to get from north to south.

3. CZSGOV

CZSGOV Member

My cousin is in Caerphilly north of Cardiff, but the family is from up in Bangor, so I probably will be going there also. Thanks for the info.

Maguari likes this.
  4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ah great - I was at university in Bangor and still have a lot of ties there. Chester's only an hour or so's drive or train from Bangor - if you only had time for one that'd be the one to go for (although not quite in Wales!). The Welsh 'National Zoo', the Welsh Mountain Zoo, is roughly halfway in-between Bangor and Chester.