Join our zoo community

Zoos so bad they're good?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 24 Apr 2019.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

You've probably heard the saying "so bad its good", especially in movies, when a film is enjoyable despite of or because it has terrible stories, crappy effects, and really subpar acting. Do you think there are any zoos or aquariums which would qualify for it? Mind you, your zoo doesn't have to have embrassingly bad exhibits that don't suit the animals' to qualify for it.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't such a think exists.

ZooBinh likes this.
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Chengdu Zanhuayuan's combination of unbelievably good small carnivore collection and unbelievably bad enclosures might qualify.

Hangzhou Polar Ocean World's theming is so cheesy it manages to still be enjoyable.

Tatsuslava likes this.
  4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Breath in...

Considering how most zoo and conservation people oppose anything that suggests human dominion or interaction between wildlife, I personally believe that Kobe animal kingdom would fit into this category with it giving guests a chance to pet wildlife (including capybaras, chital, tortoises, kangaroos), keep some of its animals in small enclosures (peccary, tapir, cougar, pygmy hippo), and not seem to educate guests about frequently as much as western zoos does. One last flaw that come to my mind is that the park might not know what it wants to be since there isn't a masterplan and there are big projects every year ever since the park has been renamed as Animal kingdom from Kachoen.

However unlike most zoo nerds I don't mind if people are interacting with wildlife. And the park seems to know its boundaries when it comes to the interactions. For example, the park doesn't let guests touch and feed every single animal species. Guests are also told to feed the animals with a shovel/scoop, pan, or cup which shows the park's awareness of disease transmission.

While I said that the park doesn't seem to do as much education as much as western zoos such as bigger signs that describe the theme of the exhibit or talk about the peril the animals are facing there still might be an attempt to educate guests for almost all enclosures and displayed animals have a sign, and show such as feedings and falconry have lectures with them. Thereis also the celebrations of world parrot day, world otter day and etc. . I want to finish this paragraph by saying that I am emphasizing the seem tos because my japanese is weak so my observations might be underestimating the parks efforts a bit.

While animals coming and going (red river hogs, fly river tutle, mata mata and coatimundi) and construction barriers might be a bit irritating, I just like the park's pursue for constant change.

And thus I believe that Kobe animal kingdom is "bad but good".

Yi Qi likes this.