Join our zoo community

Zoos that will close in the future

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Tiger, 21 Jun 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is already a thread for this but I am hearing more and more that some zoos will close permanently in the short or long term, and that made me curious: which zoos will close in the (near) future? By this I don't mean that you think a zoo will close soon, but where it has been announced from a reliable source that the zoo will close. This thread can also be useful to see which zoo you need to visit soon before it closes permanently. I know of 2 zoos that they will close permanently soon:
    - Bristol Zoo: I think almost everyone on ZooChat knows this but Bristol Zoo will be closing its gates permanently after almost 190 years and move to sister park Wildplace. This zoo will be closing this year (2022)
    - Orsa Björnpark: this great Swedish animal park with maybe the best bear enclosures in the world will probably close this year
    What zoos do you know that will close soon or in a few years?

Bengal Tiger and SwampDonkey like this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that you need to be more careful about what you are asking here.

Bristol Zoo is not closing. It is obviously closing its original site, but the zoo as an organization is not closing at all.

Zooplantman, nczoofan and TinoPup like this.
  3. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

You're right, I should have worded this better, I should have worded it like the zoo will close in its current form and at its current location.
    But all in all unless they will rename Wildplace to Bristol Zoo there probably won't be much (tangibele) left of Bristol Zoo outside of the animals and some other aspects once it moves, although, of course, the organization will continue to exist..

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that they are renaming the Wild Place site the Bristol Zoo? Maybe a Bristol Zoo goer here can clarify.

You have an interesting topic here. There was some concern that a lot of zoos were going to close due to the economic distress of the pandemic, but it seems like most made it through.

The Audubon Insectarium in New Orleans was a pandemic casualty it seemed, but happily it is being reopened in a new location within the Aquarium of the Americas.

nczoofan and StoppableSan like this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Animal Haven Zoo in Weyauwega, Wisconsin will be going up for sale in a few years for $1 Million, if it is not sold it will close. If any ZooChatters want their own zoo this is your opportunity!

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  6. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member

Dusit Zoo in Bangkok closed down in 2018 I think and they're moving to a new site but there doesn't seem to be any updates on that

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

So apparently this thread needs to be renamed, "Zoo Facilities That Are Closing So That The Collection Can Move To A Better Facility." :rolleyes:

8. Persephone

Persephone Well-Known Member

Most zoos, at least in the US, have some element of public funding. While some close, especially the few private ones, it would be hard to go completely bankrupt as a semi-public institution and popular non-profit. Even the pandemic didn’t really result in many closures.

StoppableSan likes this.