Join our zoo community

Zoos with a unique atmosphere or character

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Shirokuma, 19 Jun 2013.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

This thread raises some interesting questions about character and atmosphere in zoos.

Which zoos for you have a unique character or atmosphere?

Recently at Antwerp I was intigued by the city buildings and station towering over lush and beautifully landscaped gardens with some fascinating enclosures (some better than others of course) and I loved the unique atmosphere of entering a space totally separate to the city around it.

The historical buildings were fascinating and I liked (as in Vienna) to see the modern enclosures and developments alongside the older ones.

I also love Korkeasaari in Helsinki. Being on an island, in the winter surrounded by ice with the city in the background made this another unique experience.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have been an avid contributor to threads such as the one you provided a link to, and I am a great believer in a general "feeling" about specific zoos. Having visited a vast number of zoos in the United States (and I live in Canada!) I am always impressed when a zoo sticks out from the norm and creates an excellent atmosphere on the grounds. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a 15-minute drive outside of the city of Tucson, is a brilliant little zoo that specializes in a specific ecosystem. The setting is fantastic, the aura of quality is around every corner, and I'd go back in a heartbeat. It is always a difficult zoo for me to place amongst the rank of great institutions because it lacks many ABC animals and it does not take all day to tour. Yet, it is wonderful.

Antwerp Zoo has a rich and varied history, and many famous structures, and yet Allen Nyhuis (co-author of America's Best Zoos) lamented the number of somewhat dated exhibits when he visited that zoo on a couple of occasions in recent years. I'm sometimes bemused by what folks like about certain zoos, as while there are individuals who like rides, themed-restaurants and ziplines....then there are others who prefer more naturalistic habitats that resemble the wild...and still others who love taxonomic displays in more traditional surroundings. Vive la difference!

I personally enjoy zoos that are modern, with an emphasis on natural-looking, lush habitats (North Carolina, Nashville or Woodland Park) as there is a calmness and a high overall quality to the zoos. However, I am a huge fan of Saint Louis Zoo (one of America's top 5) and there are a number of historic animal houses on the grounds. The key is for zoos to update constantly, including their ancient structures. Taking an old, historic building and turning it into a modern marvel is brilliant, just like Bronx Zoo has done with its fairly new Madagascar complex.

3. Shirokuma

That's why I think it's less interesting to talk about quality of exhibits or how zoos rate in comparison with others but more the general feel or atmosphere which makes a zoo unlike any other.

One person's dated is another person's classic, another person's modern and exciting might be faddish and lacking in substance or originality.

I think it's nice when zoos have a relationship with place, for example the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in the desert, Korkeasaari Zoo on a rocky island or Taronga Zoo overlooking Sydney Harbour - none of these zoos could be anywhere else and in a world of increasing uniformity and blandness it's good that there is room for character and individuality.

4. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

I loved Salzburg Zoo for the breathtaking scenery and the natural enclosures built along a cliff face.
    I loved Vienna's off-the-beaten-track treetop walk which takes you past an old traditional farm building away from the bustle of the main zoo.
    I loved Spaycific'Zoo in France for its quirkiness. It was pretty small and very much along the lines of simple-enclosures-among-the-trees, but it was very friendly and because we went on a weekday we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To me every zoo has its own 'personality', which changes over the years.

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As FBBird already said, also for me every zoo has it's own 'personality' but still I have my favorites. One of them is surtainly Artis - Amsterdam Zoo and althrought it has lost some of its carisma in the past decade - by removing old and building new exibits - it still has an unique atmosphere !

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think FBBird is almost exactly right: good zoos each have their own individual characters - bad zoos don't.
    This isn't just due to the buildings and animals, it is also due to the site and the planting and the layout. Think of the castle at Dudley, the escarpment at Whipsnade or the view across the Romney Marsh from the steps at Port Lympne. Think of the red soil at Paignton which gives the rhinos the proper laterite colour of Africa. Think of the rocks and fir trees at Kingussie which make the Siberian tigers and blue sheep look so well. Think of beautiful adaptation of the walled garden at Cotswold, the houses at Howletts and Marwell with deer and zebra grazing on the home parks. Think how easy it is to get lost at Colchester.
    Have I gone on long enough? :rolleyes:

Alan

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx has a very peaceful and calm atmosphere to it. Whether it's the wide and wonderful collection, fantastic exhibits, or the fact that the zoo is pretty much a large forest in the middle of Bronx, New York, New York, I don't know. All I know is that I always feel calm, peaceful, happy, and excited when I'm there.

~Thylo:cool:

9. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The worst feeling in a zoo is when you can't figure out the character of the beast. A great example of this would be Toledo where their doesn't seem to a rhyme or reason to why the zoo is the way it is, Instead you end up focusing on things such as exhibit flow or the cramped feeling of the zoo instead of the magic a zoo normally invokes into a person.

10. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ive always found Belgrade Zoo in Serbia fascinating in this sense. It is partly built within the walls of the old castle overlooking the Danube and Sava rivers! Some of the old castle walls served as the walls for animal enclosures!

There is no way in the world that it is among the best zoos but it is improving (it still has a bit of work to do) and the layout is really interesting! Its also a good zoo for photography - imagine taking a photo of a white lion with a red rose in the foreground!

11. Shirokuma

I agree some zoos have a distinctive atmosphere for the wrong reason. I don't know why but I really didn't like Oregon Zoo for example. Couldn't put my finger on it but it just didn't work for me.

12. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately, I don't feel the same way Thylo does about the Bronx. It's the best zoo I've ever been too, but I often stress to see as many exhibits as I can before I must leave, and it's often pretty crowded. The only visit to the Bronx where I didn't feel too stressed was in November 2012 after the zoo reopened from Hurricane Sandy, because the zoo did not have many people there that day. Overall, I feel the Bronx is great but has an overwhelming presence.
    During November-March, there are not that many people at Beardsley Zoo, and often the animals are much more active and relaxed since not many people are there, and the cooler months also increase activity of most animals.
    I feel two zoos with a very nice atmosphere are Central Park Zoo and Lowry Park Zoo. Central Park is small and quaint, but most exhibits are good or average, and is more peaceful, IMO, then its Bronx counterpart. Lowry Park has a wonderful, warm atmosphere and many active animals in decent exhibits, and a wonderful collection. I felt very relaxed in Central and Lowry Park Zoo.

13. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I love the atmosphere of the Philly Zoo. From the time you walk through the gates its a mix of century old buildings and modern exhibits. the grounds are smal but still have lots of trees and grassy fields for kids to run around in and to just relax while eating lunch. Another thing that adds to the atmosphere is the system of trails covering the zoo. You never know what you will find which is very exciting.

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have, too, experienced a bit of stress when it comes to the amount of visitors at Bronx but the last time I was really stressed there was when I was first making my species list for the zoo and was running around, crossing things off and writing things down and everything. I have a feeling I'll feel quite stressed my first day of Cincy for the same reason though maybe a bit more because I'll have my camera now, too!:eek:

While I won't be visiting Lowry Park until later this year, I can agree that Central Park has a nice atmosphere for the exact reason BZF mentioned. I feel the same sort of way about Beardsley.

When I visited Smithsonian, I was very excited and it felt like visiting an old friend because it was the very first zoo I'd ever visited and sparked my interest in wildlife. Overall, the place felt a bit crowded, though.

~Thylo:cool:

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unfortunately that view is now denied as (Ibelieve) you can't approach those steps anymore. But the views from the 'safari lookout' on the Safari journey are equally stunning, or dare I say even better?

Paignton's red soil- yes- and the red-brown colour of the lake water and the often 'pink' Zebras too.:)

IMO the walled garden at Cotswold is perhaps the best multi-species exhibit area in the UK- it is excellent.

Love the Howletts deer/antelope paddock and the fact they have never altered it.

I'll add one more- Bristol, and the nearby Clifton College bell ringing the hours.(Ding-Dong) A memory from my childhood right through to the present. ;)

16. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My list after "thematical feelings" (for the whole zoo OR just for parts of it):

Best view: Taronga Zoo Sydney
    Best Africa atmosphere: San Diego Wild Animal Park Escondido, Toronto Zoo (in Summer only:)), Biopark Valencia and Disneys Animal Kingdom Lake Buena Vista.
    Best Madagascar atmosphere: Zoo Zurich
    Best historical atmosphere: Zoo Berlin, Menagerie Jardin des Plantes Paris and Zoo Antwerp
    Best Asia atmosphere: Singapore Zoo, Terra Natura Benidorm and Bronx Zoo New York
    Best Night atmosphere: Night Safari Singapore.
    Best open range atmosphere: San Diego Wild Animal Park Escondido, North Carolina Zoo Asheboro, Tierpark Berlin and Dubbo Zoo.
    Best Australia atmosphere: Currumbin Sanctuary Surfers Paradise and San Diego Zoo.
    Best Antarctica atmosphere: Sea World San Diego, Sea World Orlando and Loro Parque Tenerife.
    Best Arctic/North Pole atmosphere: Sea World San Diego, Sea World Orlando, Erlebniszoo Hannover and Toronto Zoo.
    Best "lush green" atmosphere: Singapore Zoo.
    Best desert atmosphere: The Living Desert Palm Desert, North Carolina Zoo Asheboro and Burgers Zoo Arnhem.
    Best palearctic forest atmosphere: Tierpark Berlin, Parc Animalier Haute Touche Obterre.

17. keith8404

keith8404 Well-Known Member

I really like the feel of the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. Part of it is the setting in Audubon Park. Part of it is the older buildings and fountains that have been integrated into the more modern zoo. They've got a few areas that still need work, but most of it is great, like their Asia section and South American wetland, and particularly the Louisiana swamps area. One of my most memorable zoo experiences was getting caught in a torrential downpour on the far side of the pond in the Louisiana section. I just ended up sitting alone for about 20 minutes in a rocking chair under a tin roof listening to the rainfall and watching the drops bounce off the surface of the pond. After it stopped, it was great continuing on through the rain-freshened zoo. It was a pretty terrific afternoon!

18. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think - bearing in mind my local boy prejudice - that Dudley with the castle has the most unique character in the UK. All around the grounds are remnants of history (I'm not talking Tecton here! :p) and it is almost museum-like in parts.
    Most zoos have character, be it good or bad, but that is by far the most unique in my opinion.

19. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Yes, I have been to Toledo 3 times and it is kind of "weird". It is different every time or something. But it is a nice zoo :).

20. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the most unusual atmosphere in any zoo I've visited is the Desert Area in Burgers Zoo, Arnhem. The architect created a unique experience.