Join our zoo community

Zoos with mostly (or all) cold weather species.

Discussion in 'United States' started by elefante, 7 Aug 2012.

1. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It seems that the Minnesota Zoo focuses more on animals found in colder climates that can be out year-round. This is an interesting approach since a person could go there in the summer or winter and expect to see all of the animals out. Are there other zoos in the US or throughout the world that do this?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Minnesota's approach is fantastic and I wish more northern latitude zoos would follow suit. (Although as I recall they also had a somewhat disappointing indoor rain forest building).

The one that comes to mind is Northwest Trek in Washington state (USA), which has all native animals. It is also one of the best (if not the best) zoological parks in the country. Northwest Trek Wildlife Park

There is also the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Alaska Wildlife Viewing - Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center - Girdwood Alaska Wildlife Tour | ALASKA.ORG Recommended

And although it may be too small or specialized to be considered a zoo, there is the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center near the entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nordens ark in Sweden is another international candidate that would fulfill your criteria.

Nordens ark Hem

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great examples! Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center is AZA-accredited but it is definitely a very small establishment. Another good example is New York's Rosamond Gifford Zoo as it has a half-mile outdoor loop with cold-weather creatures and the rest of the animals can be seen indoors so in many of their brochures they state that they are a year-round facility.

6. elefante

@ TeaLovingDave that looks like a really neat place in Scotland. Yet one more reason to visit the UK.

@Arizona Docent, I have been to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. The animal exhibits are nice and I love the musuem portion as well.

I have heard of Northwest Trek but haven't been there. It would be neat if they could have some exotics as well.

I like that Minnesota has a tropical exhibit. That would be nice to see in the winter. It's been so long since I've been there so I can't remember much about how it looked.

7. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Montana was set up to only focus on Northern Hemisphere cold adapted animals (Asia and North America). I'm not sure if this zoo still exists as it was on the verge of going out of business in the recent past.

8. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Beardsley mostly holds cold weather species; the exceptions beside animals in the rainforest house are Maned Wolves, Chacoan Peccaries, and Black-Tailed Prairie Dogs.

9. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

I was about to suggest that zoo for cold weather species. And yes they do still exist!
    I'm following their facebook page and there's quite a bit of action there then there was a year or two ago. Hopefully they've found some long term plans to stick around.

10. elefante

Actually, black-tailed prairie dogs do fine in the winter, they don't hibernate. I used to use them as a barometer. If it seemed nice but the prairie dogs weren't out, I knew it was going to snow the next day. Visiting the site that looks like an interesting collection they have. I have to laugh about the pronghorns. I used to get them in my yard.

11. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Besides the ones that are mentioned already:

Alaska Zoo, Anchorage (USA)
    and more or less also WCS's Queens Zoo New York (USA)

Zoo Helsinki (Finland/Suomi)
    Skansen Open-Air Museum and Zoo Stockholm (Sweden)
    Zoo/Tierpark Neumuenster (Germany)
    Wildpark Lueneburger Heide Hanstedt (Germany)
    Alpenzoo Innsbruck (Austria)
    and more or less also Zoopark Chomutov (Czech Republic)