Join our zoo community

Zoos with the greatest future/best master plans

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by GiratinaIsGod, 24 Feb 2021.

1. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Zoos have to innovate to survive, and even the world greatest zoos still have outdated enclosers. Many zoos have great ambitions allready, with new modern exhibits, and new species in planing. Which Zoo will have in the near future the greatest accomplishments, or which zoos plans are the greatest disappointments so far. What your your opinions about which zoos.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I don't know in terms of big expensive / flash exhibits etc.

However, and this will come as no suprise here to anyone on the forum, I believe Jersey zoo and its innovative model of ex-situ and supporting role with in-situ conservation has the greatest future and utility.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2021
    Batto and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Buttonwood Park Zoo has an incredible masterplan for such a small Zoo- they plan to bring in tigers, jaguars, snow leopards, gibbons, puffins, Bush dogs, giant anteater, spider monkey, langurs, indian rhinos, and more!

BenFoxster and StoppableSan like this.
  4. MGolka

MGolka Well-Known Member

I won't really go into best master plan or what not since that is more an institutional decision on what they are able to do with their facilities and depends on a lot of different factors regarding necessity/funding/feasibility.

But I will say that the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo has stuck to their master plan fairly well and have completed a little over 50% of those ideas so far with more in the works. Besides a few small changes on their large projects they have completed so far, the only changes/additions have been:
    • Adding more definition to the "Mid-Valley" area near the Madagascar building
    • Removed South American renovation of old petting zoo to a more North America themed zone
    • Revamp of the Simmons Aviary
    A couple items that they have been fairly silent on so far that was in the master plan but they haven't axed yet (to my knowledge):
    • New Komodo Dragon exhibit in Desert Dome Plaza
    • Polar Bear Exhibit by Sea Lion Shores/Alaskan Splash Pad (plan might have changed on this but I haven't seen it in writing, know of Polar Bear shortage, people in Omaha want them back at the zoo pretty bad)
    • Congo Forest area to replace old Cat Complex

5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

BRANDYWINE! They seem particularly dedicated to their master, as well. The tiny zoo has dwindled down to bare bones, with species being rehomed to make room for construction.
    Before the recent opening of the Madagascar exhibit, the zoo was down to:
    Mammals: bobcat, serval, red panda, NA porcupine, capybara, golden lion tamarin, white-faced saki, goats, alpacas
    Birds: Andean condor, bald eagle, raven, sandhill crane, scarlet ibis, toco toucan, burrowing owl, a few ducks and small parrot species

Plus wallabies and alligators temporarily.

The master plan more than doubles the size of the zoo, turning it from a straight line with a cul-de-sac to a big loop. Along with the lemurs that were part of the last phase, new species will include jaguar, snow leopard, canada lynx, bat-eared fox, sloth bear, spotted hyena, NARO (one of the species that left), pudu, markhor, red river hog, siamang, colobus, and several others. I've heard they're trying for even more than the master plan shows, rather than less. The otter exhibit is going to have a slide for humans to go through a tunnel in the exhibit.

Current map:
    brandywine map.jpg

Master:
    Brandywine master.png

Webpage for plan: Our Zoo Re-imagined • Brandywine Zoo • Go a Little Wild

Phases: https://brandywinezoo.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Phases-of-the-Master-Plan.pdf

They're getting ready to start phase 3.

6. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In my opinion Prague, Pairi Daiza, Beauval and Chester are the four names that have to be mentioned in Europe.

Prague is planning new gorilla and polar bear exhibits, with a fair scope to expand beyond that in the near future.
    Pairi Daiza is building a breeding centre of Spix macaws, planning a massive new entrance and perhaps most notably another massive greenhouse for New World rainforest animals as well as finishing off the recent Land of the Cold.
    Beauval, having announced its master plan a few years back, has fulfilled some of the planned ambitions, and is going to start construction of a massive walkthrough aviary in due course, either hints at a new grasslands complex and large scale aquarium.
    Chester meanwhile, coming right off the back of the recently completed Islands complex as well as individual exhibits for lions and a few others, are in the process of developing a massive grasslands complex and constructing a Latin American aviary.

These all hold great ambitions for the future, and along with the usual suspects in the discussion (both Berlins, Zurich, Vienna, Wroclaw etc.) I expect them to be the big names on the continent going forward.

7. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of the Nashville Zoo's master plan.

Phase I was mainly adding new things all around the zoo. There was the new Entry Village, the veterinary center, and 4 different exhibits.

Both Phase II and III focus on adding African regions to the zoo. Phase II focuses on the new African Savanna and a new Education Center. Some of the animals being added are lions, hippos, and cheetahs. Phase III focuses on the African Forest. The main focus of this phase is adding a gorilla exhibit, which apparently will be "one of the most progressive and natural gorilla exhibits in the country." Some other animals being added are okapi, mandrills, bongos, and several primates.

I got all of my information from here Future Plans

LadyA91, BenFoxster, 9030 and 2 others like this.
  8. chaotic_froggie

chaotic_froggie Well-Known Member

I’m very interested in Bristol’s plan to up and leave their 12 acre site for a new site at around 140 acres. It will be incredible if they can pull it off. Does anyone have any info about how much of this project they have completed?

BenFoxster, JT and Arizona Docent like this.
  9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I fear that your question has been lost or read as "What is your favorite local zoo planning for the future?" Some mentioned are fine improvements but do they rate as zoos planning the "greatest accomplishments"?

10. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a lot of masterplans, but I'd say TP Berlin (a very consistent geographical arrangement and very good planned enclosures), Leipzig (amazing design and interesting new species) and Zürich (new gorilla house).

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Good point, it is hard to define and very subjective.

Do we judge on the merit / metrics of aesthetics, future developments, ex-situ conservation etc ?

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

How ever we judge "greatest accomplishments" surely must amount to more than adding colobus to the collection :D

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yep agreed !

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My local Reid Park Zoo has an ambitious master plan. They have completed some small items, a facelift of the entrance and a few single exhibits, but the major work is upcoming. Phase 1, which is about to start construction, is a new Asia area that will expand the small zoo by four acres into the park. When all three phases are complete it could be the best (or one of the best) small zoos in the United States.
    The Future of Your Zoo | Reid Park Zoo

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Cat-Man, 9030 and HungarianBison like this.
  16. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is so ambitious and rightly so. It would make LA zoo one of the worlds best (which IMO is where they should be!)

BenFoxster and Westcoastperson like this.
  17. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Personally I think Yorkshire Wildlife Park could well be the best in the UK within the next 10 years, the speed at which they are expanding is really quite impressive. Also, I don’t believe they have asked for donations during the pandemic and have always been the first to offer to take animals from places that may be struggling. I think they’re headed in a good direction and it’s a park that seems to have something new every time you visit.

Azubaa, pipaluk and TNT like this.
  18. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do Yorkshire have a master plan as such?

19. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I know they have an a very large expansion plan of which phase 1 was opened last year, I’m not sure if it is a master plan as such so maybe my post is a tad invalid, either way I’d say it’s a notable mention.

Cat-Man likes this.
  20. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

IMO - the zoo to watch out for in the UK is Paradise Wildlife Park. Whilst not as large as YWP or Chester, their recent developments (Lion and Amur Tiger) have been fantastic, and their upcoming builds (Sun bear and Jaguar) are set to impress.

I can't wait to see how the rest of the zoo develops once they've addressed the builds for some of their more prominent species - I'd suspect Snow Leopards could be the next to receive a new exhibit. I also look forward to seeing how they develop the "Dinosaur" area of the park - it's a fairly dense woodland, which is currently home to only a few exhibits (Deer, Wolves... maybe a fox?), alongside the many dinosaur sculptures.

JT likes this.