Join our zoo community

Zoos with the most Classes of animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CMP, 22 Aug 2021.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

A recent trip has got me thinking, which zoo or aquarium houses and displays the most classes of animals? Most places have at least five or six, with the most common ones being Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Amphibians, Ray-finned fish, Arachnids, Insects, and Millipedes. In aquaria, Elasmobranch fish (Sharks and rays), Crustaceans, Cephalopods, Gastropods, Sea urchins, Sea stars, True jellies, and Sea anemones and corals are all quite common fare. Occasionally you'll also see the remaining vertebrate classes of Chimaeras, Lampreys, and Lobe-finned fish, and rarely animals of some other Classes.

With a total of 19 classes listed as occurring fairly regularly, what are some Zoological institutions with the most number of animal classes on display?

A major zoo like Cincinnati has 8
    Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Amphibians, Ray-finned fish, Arachnids, Insects, and Millipedes.

A zoo with an aquarium will also probably have some of the other aquatic classes.

I know an outstanding facility like Shedd aquarium has 9 vertebrate and 20 total classes.
    Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Amphibians, Ray-finned fish, Lobe-finned fish, Elasmobranch fish, Chimaeras, Lampreys, Arachnids, Insects, Millipedes, Crustaceans, Cephalopods, Gastropods, Sea urchins, Sea stars, True jellies, and Sea anemones and corals. A Chiton was also signed, but I didn't see it. All 5 major groups of fish (Not all classes, no hagfish displayed) is very impressive, what other facilities share this feat?

So cany any place beat Shedd? Some major aquariums like Monterey might have many other aquatic classes, but can it add up?

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Should be 21, there are feather stars in Underwater Beauty (or at least were in December 2018).

3. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

I didn't see any indication of feather stars, do you remember which tank they were in?

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No. The feather stars were unsigned even then.

5. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Oh, I should've paid more attention. There were definitely a few spots that they could've been in.

6. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Berlin must be up near the top of the list since it's a major collection of vertebrates plus an aquarium and an insectarium.

CMP likes this.
  7. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

I feel that this is a difficult question to answer because unfortunately classes are highly debated. For example, some people consider lobe-finned and ray-finned fishes to be in the same class, others in different. Or what about birds/reptiles, where there is nothing but a few forgettable differences between the most bird-like reptile and the first bird? Heck, Archaeopteryx, the Urvogel itself, may be closer to ‘reptiles’ like Velociraptor than modern birds, although it is debatable.

8. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

True, but I'd argue that for all intents and purposes, based on extant members, they are clearly very distinct. No mistaking a bird for any other kind of reptile. The day Archaeopteryx and other early birds become available in zoos is the day we'd have to worry about this ;) .

CMP and birdsandbats like this.
  9. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

Ok, that was a bad example, but I feel my point still stands.
    However, I am now curious whether there are any zoos with exhibits demonstrating this evolutionary link.

Mo Hassan likes this.