Join our zoo community

Zoos with three Rhino Species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Bib Fortuna, 30 Jan 2016.

1. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

C'mon... I'm trying to draw this tangent to a close.

Why would a car-less exhibit be necessary? Ree Park, Ebeltoft, seem to manage it with no problem...

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'd have thought it was more risky to have Black Rhino in direct contact with cars/visitors- being more temperamental than Whites. If one Zoo/park is being successful with them in a drive through, that is interesting. But if WMSP have had a problem with the Indians and a car, even a single incident, it might cause them to take that into account in any future planning for Black Rhino.

3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

1.Can anybody confirm Chimelong Park has now three rhino species ?

2. Does anybody know, where excactly the three rhino species were kept at San Diego and L.A.Zoo, maybe in neighboured enclosures ?

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You would have to ask our Chinese ZC-ers. But Chimelong parks is actually 2 wildlife parks. I believe the Indian rhino was destined for the newer park. And as DeerForest has indicated they might transfer of the black rhinos there too (which incidentally they have bred on various occasions, this being the southern African minor variety, a more recent acquisition was somewhat unfortunate a michaeli pair from Japan (the East African subspecies)).

5. Deer Forest

Deer Forest Well-Known Member

Yes, Indian, black and white, three rhino species have all appeared in the news report of the new Chimelong Park in Qingyuan, though the park has not open yet.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

At the San Diego Zoo, I've seen all three species of rhino in the exhibit that are part of the complex now called Urban Jungle. I'm not sure if the Zoo ever held four species of rhino at the same time (though I know it has held four species of rhino).

7. Bib Fortuna

San Diego Zoo had"only"three species of rhino at the same time. There were only two places with four-London Zoo in the time between 1874 and 1885-all three asian speices and Black rhino-and White Oak with White,Black,Indian and Sumatran Rhino, but only for three years from 2008-2011.

8. Bib Fortuna

@Kifaru Bwana

Hi. I have question to you-I think, you are are best guy here o answer it.

Currently, I'm doing a reesrach on the history of Indian Rhinos in human care., and I' need some Information about the Elephant House at Amsterdam Zoo and the accomodation of Artis first Indian Rhino, what has lived there from 1864 until 1873.

1. I think, Artis had also an elephant at this time, so I guess, both, elephant and rhino has lived in one house ? Correct ? If yes, do you know, when this first elephant house was sbuild, and where it was located ?

I have no book about Artis, and my oldest guidebook is from around 1903.

In the map of this guidebook is a Pachyderm house with five small outdoor exhibits-it was there, where the todays elephant house is.

According to the guidebooks, this old pachyderm buildnig was renovatedbetween 1962 and 1965-is this correct ? Or was the old house complete destroyed and replaced for e new, the current elephant house ? I remember, I was in it and rememebr, itw as very old stylish inside, so i belive, it could be the rest of the old elephant house.

2.Do you know large the rhino outdoor exhibit was ? my first visit to Artis was in 1995, so 6 years after the last indian rhino passed away. I think, it was tiny.

Thank you !

9. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

What would be the next new holder (or old-new) holder of black rhinoceros in Europe? Maybe the Beauval zoo (and then it will be a zoo with three rhino species in Europe). The black rhino is underepresented in Europe with just 21 holders. Indian has 27 holders, and white rhino has 88 holders, in Europe (& Turkey and Israel).