Join our zoo community

Zootierliste Goes Worldwide

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Animal, 4 Jan 2024.

Tags:
  1. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear friends and helpers of the Zootierliste,

Ever since the 15 years of the existence of the Zootierliste, the question has repeatedly arisen: When will the list be expanded to the whole world?

Therefore, on this anniversary, we have taken the time to compile the most comprehensive update concerning countries. Previously it was only EU and EAZA countries, but now it includes all of them. All facilities have already been set up as well.

The team of Zootierliste would like to expressly thank all the helpers who made this expansion possible.

From now on, species can be assigned to all zoos worldwide. If you are new, please read the entry rules on the Zootierliste website carefully and pay attention to your sources and, for example, the subspecies status of the species you enter.

Already fully usable is the zoo radius search. Just enter your location and a radius, and you will immediately find all the facilities in that area.

If you find any errors, want to add more facilities, or need new species, then write to us on the notice board or a mail to [email protected], and we will address the issue.

And please always remember: The Zootierliste is only as good as the community that works on it.

The whole team wishes you a great year 2024 and lots of fun with this update!

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow that’s crazy! I wish ZTL the best luck and am glad to help when I can.

Summer Tanager likes this.
  3. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Congratulations - how exciting!

4. Green_mamba

Green_mamba Well-Known Member

This is amazing!

5. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

Congratulations on this, as I can imagine it can be quite difficult to get information from zoos in other continents, as they certainly aren't as well-documented as those in Europe, but I have no doubt that this will be tremendously useful. Such good news!

6. Baringogiraffe12

Baringogiraffe12 Well-Known Member

Fantastic news, a credit to all those involved with ZTL.

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news! And what an effort!!! There is still power in Germany. Can't wait to see our fellow americans to fill the species names for their zoos...;)

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember being asked to join ZTL at least 7 years ago with the intent of adding US zoos once this update was made :p Long forgotten my account info but glad this is finally happening!

I know how I'm spending my day!

~Thylo

9. justGoron

justGoron Member

I can't imagine planning a zootrip without the help of zootierliste, good to know that if I make trips to other countries in the future, I might be able to rely on it as well!

10. Camparso

Camparso New Member 5+ year member

Today, we have a lot of new users. So this message is very important:

Please note, that it's mandatory to add a resource to the collection entry for every species.

For example: Visit 10/2023 ((not) seen, (not) labeled) (with your nickname) or in German ((nicht) gesehen, (nicht) ausgeschildert) or inventory lists, books or press releases, year books.

Please write on the Black Board for new resources.

Otherwise the zootierliste can't be used as reliable resource in scientific publications

Best Regards
    Ronny / Camparso (Admin Zootierliste)

11. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

Great update! Will both German and English be accepted on the site, or will it lean more towards German still? For instance, information on holdings such as 'Kept in the Tropical House' or 'seen, not signed.'

I'll begin writing in English to include more people, if that's okay. Or should we continue using German?

Dustin1999 and JurassicMax like this.
  12. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Both languages are accepted equally. Since it's a german website most entries are made by german users, so german is still a very important language on ZTL and will be in the future for sure.

13. Camparso

@Daniel Sörensen : You can Copy&Paste from the other Vogelpark Walsrode resource information ;)

It's easy^^

14. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

I already do that, but English would include more people to understand it better :) Therefore my question here :)

Edit: Language barrier is not a problem for me, I live in Germany and understand German. I just want it to be welcoming and easy for other people as well :)

Last edited: 4 Jan 2024
  15. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

I have used German when I edit the site despite not speaking it. Only a select few words are used, and those words are easy to remember and learn just by looking at other people’s sources (such as ‘besuch,’ ‘gesehen,’ or ‘ausgeschildert’). And for English-speakers reading the sources, google translate is adequate enough to translate those few words.

The only real difficulty that I have found is for species names, when there is for example a list of other species which an animal shares its enclosure with, but that can be solved by searching for the species by Latin name onto the German version of the website, or vice versa. :)

16. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Our American cousins will have to get used to the sinking feeling when reading "hinter den kulissen".

Lota lota, Mickey, Otorongo and 15 others like this.
  17. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Feel free to write in english. Therefore we created the english version of the ZTL. Just click on the word "english" in the upper right corner of the menu bar.

18. Camparso

It was a joke :) hahaha

ZootierlisteHomepage

@Kalaw: Between the button "Log-out" and "Holdings" is an other button with a flg. There you can change the species/taxonomy into scientific name.

Kalaw and ThylacineAlive like this.
  19. Mr.Weasel

Mr.Weasel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Amazing news! This is something I've always wanted/needed. Good luck to everyone involved in putting it all together. Your efforts will be appreciated.

Summer Tanager, wstefan and Animal like this.
  20. toxodon

toxodon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Congrats on the worldwide update. This is such a huge step. Thank you all for the hard work that goes into it.