Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ShonenJake13, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

That's bad, but still... world's oldest zoo? Pretty silly slip!

Brum likes this.
  2. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

3. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

This finding could mean that the lions get put on contraceptives or moved to another zoo. I cencirly hope that they aren't euthanised like some of the Longest lions were a few years ago.

4. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

What exactly are the howling big mistakes made by the writer? I’m sure I’m not the only one who has read your comments and are wondering what mistakes the writer has made.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

London isn't the oldest still-existing zoo - Vienna is much older - and although the zoo did have the world's first public aquarium, it isn't the current Aquarium building. :)

Brum likes this.
  6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Four words for you to remember: always check your sources.

Considering some of the stuff that specific newspaper has come out with before, and also considering that the researcher in question is also not very reputable, I would say take the article not just with a pinch of salt, but with an entire salt shaker!

pipaluk, Rajang21, Crowthorne and 2 others like this.
  7. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"London Zoo is considered the world’s oldest zoo still in existence" -it's not (though there's some debate on definitions to be had if people want to be pedantic), put it this way Tiergarten Schönbrunn (Vienna) had it's 250th birthday a few years ago.

"The world’s first aquarium still functions on grounds" -I'm no expert on the first aquarium but this is wrong. London's Aquarium was built (not sure when but after the Mappins) under the Mappin Terraces (built 1910s) which was, at least, after after Brighton Aquarium (opened in the 1870's -there's a Sea Life Centre there now) and I'm sure many other zoos had aquaria of some sort prior to London's existing one. London itself displayed fish in tanks (aquarium?) way before the existing one was completed.

8. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And, since we're being pedantic, the Eden Project didn't exist in the late 90s :D

I found the author's perspective refreshing overall, though. Particularly the reference to Land of the Lions' "small budget".

9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

London Zoo's current aquarium opened in 1924 although the zoo did have the world's first public aquarium, the Fish House of 1853.