Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo ZSL London Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by aquilla1, 1 Jan 2020.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The whole damn structure is unsafe which must be common knowledge by now. Just read up the history on here as it has been discussed at length previously on severely occasions. Also check the secret word Aquarium closure as this was also falling apart literally. I would go as far as to claim it is Regent Park's eyesore

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well I knew the majority of it was unsafe, I just didn't know about the walkway that's all.

3. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The discussion on the Mappins has been done to the point of ad nauseum on the London forums for many years now. I myself have come to the conclusion that ZSL has no plan for this area of the zoo and would happily let it rot rather than bankrupt itself (which it would do) on refurbishment.

Believe me, I would love to see something in that area (personally Sun bear). But there’s as much chance as the Dodo being rediscovered than management doing anything of significance with this site!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At this point, it's only a matter of time before it actually starts crumbling.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two Sloth bears were imported in 1997, following the refurbishment of Mappin Terraces. The species was phased out in 2008, with the remaining bears sent to Whipsnade Zoo.

An urban sanctuary for bears or cynical showbiz?

Personally I love all the historic architecture at London Zoo, it fascinates me. Though on my last visit to London Zoo, every staff member I spoke to (who has to deal with the day to day practicalities of these structures/buildings) spoke negatively of the many structures that are unsuitable for the modern zoo but can't be demolished due to heritage status.

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the Casson building cannot ever be opened again and they cannot ever afford to rebuild the Mappin terraces, why not move all the childrens zoo animals to the Lower Mappin level and outside paddock of Casson (neither of which can be listed due to recent changes, then bulldoze the whole childrens zoo area, move the Squirrel monkey to the Snowdon aviary,use the former anteater enclosure for animals again, build on all this plus the bird of prey event lawn plus neighbouring grass areas for some proper zoo mammal attractions?! Turn the woodland walk to the picnic area to replace lost lawnsYou may even have a top 5 UK zoos again!
    This is subject to not having listed buildings status removed which would probably be preferable sadly!

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

After which it might might might be possible to do something sensible with the entire area. I favour a controlled blow up .... though (much quicker - and with pain in my heart over the trials and tribulations of a once great(er) zoo).

8. Zoofan15

Update on the Snowdon Aviary:

ZSL London Zoo will submit updated Snowdon Aviary plans to Westminster Council on Friday (March 13), revealing exciting new revisions. ZSL has partnered with architects Foster + Partners to rejuvenate the Snowdon Aviary, which is set to open in 2021.

The new exhibit will become a soaring walk-through enclosure, offering guests a unique experience of the colobus monkeys, part of the European Endangered Species Breeding Programme.

The updates include innovative and sustainable building concepts that will enable parts of the structure to change over time, adapting to the needs of colobus monkeys, the zoo’s new residents.

Updated plans also focus on the primates’ indoor dens, which feature a new modular design. This will allow keepers to create quiet, private areas when needed.

Full article: ZSL London Zoo to submit updated plans for Snowdon Aviary | blooloop

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Presumably visitors will walk through a covered/netted walkway rather than direct contact with the Colobus?

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This seems to be another example of a zoo PR department staffed by incompetents: the colobus monkeys are certainly not new reisdents - and a lazy journalist copying a press release unquestioningly.

Mo Hassan, Jambo and Pertinax like this.
  11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I noticed that statement also...I wish them luck with this venture but wonder at the reality- my experience of Colobus over many years and in many zoos is how inactive they can be, sleeping and huddling together for long periods. Activity periods are limited. I can also see them preferring the indoor area too if allowed to use it in the daytime as they do not like wind or other bad weather.

12. Panthera1981

Based on previous walkthrough observations I’ll assume this is for the benefit of the Colobus rather than visitors! ;)

Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  13. tennisfan

tennisfan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The emu have moved back to their original location in maplins

Jambo, Max Blundell and pipaluk like this.
  14. Panthera1981

Didnt they go bust last year? Didn’t know emus were good with electronics!

Jambo, tennisfan, Mo Hassan and 3 others like this.
  15. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Electronics? They'll eat anything.....

16. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The zoo is now closed: "Regretfully ZSL London Zoo is closed to visitors with immediate effect, until further notice following the latest advice from the UK Government. Whipsnade Zoo remains open and has been converted to outdoor-only."

Visiting us during the coronavirus outbreak

It'll be interesting to see if ZSL London survives this.

17. Zoofan15

They survived the blitz, so I’m sure they’ll muddle through a temporary closure.

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That really doesn't follow. Economics are vastly different now from 80 years ago, both specific to the zoo and the UK (and world) as a whole.

19. Regent

Regent Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of course it's a worrying time for London Zoo but surely all zoos are facing financial problems. Many zoos will rely on donations from the public during the next few months, it will be a tough time.

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Government's measures will help with paying the staff's wages, but there will still be bills to pay for the animal food, energy and so on.