Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Panthera1981, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The new GOH rhino calf now has a name: Zhiwa. The name came after the zoo received a 'generous' donation from a pair of ZSL Supporters.

No doubt said donation will help go towards maintaining and conserving the ZSL Crazy Golf course at London for the benefit and enjoyment of future generations of visitors. ;)

2. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I heard Naya and Botzman will move in the next three months...
    Is that just a rumour ? Any info ?

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Who are they, Goldfish or Tupaia?

5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

From whom did you hear this?

Tiger pair.

6. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Thank you Zia. It is always a bit frustrating when pet names are used, without any reference to what 'tiddles' and 'fluffy' actually are...

FBBird, cliffxdavis and Zia like this.
  7. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’d be surprised if both parents left! Maybe the information regarded the offspring moving on.

8. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes I highly doubt the parents would move, and the zoo be left with 3 males who will ultimately want solitary space away from one another like in the wild. But I think the cubs have to move on soon now they are nearly 2yr old!

9. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just saw this from Whipsnade. Ming Jung looks like he can grow into an exceptional bull. He appears like a young Radza with his smaller ears. I wonder how big he could grow? I tried to find a photo online of his sire but can’t find any to give an indication of how he may appear as a fully grown adult bull. Certainly he looks as big if not bigger than Emmett.

10. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’s exciting! As this is the first time Ming Jung has had the opportunity to sire calf’s, so I am excited for the future of the herd. My only question is you see Emmett at Blackpool zoo and he interacts all day with the females, whereas at Whipsnade the males are kept away from the females and they only have occasional contact, wonder why this is?

11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So is Ming Jung a son of Radza? are there any pics of him some where?

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think its mainly due to the design, Whipsnade's bull quarters were built seperately later on. At Blackpool the whole house incorporating the bull quarters is the same age. A male only spending part -time with females is quite natural and I think at Blackpool if Emmett comes into Musth he would also be seperated in his own quarters. But at present certainly they need him to be with the females as much as possible to instigate their oestrus, mating etc.

13. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

No, Ming Jung is not Radza's son. His father is Plai Kongka in Thailand. His mother Tong Koon came to Cologne Zoo from Thailand already pregnant.

Elephant Enthusiast and Zorro like this.
  14. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ming Jung is a beautiful and impressive elephant, but I very much doubt that he will ever become as tall and massive as Radza. I habe known him since he was a small calf, and Ming Jung was always on the small size. His mother is rather small too. He looks impressive with his beautiful tusks, but if he stands close to other elephants you can judge his size which is not that big.

Thankfully Radza has a lot of sons who look very much like him and I am sure some of them will grow into gigantic bulls like Radza!

Elephant Enthusiast likes this.
  15. monster

monster Well-Known Member

Emmett always used to spend time with cows and calves evert day exvept when he was musth. They seem to have stopped this at the same time as they stopped walks etc

Elephant Enthusiast and Pertinax like this.
  16. Michel L'HUILLIER

Michel L'HUILLIER Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From a british friend who often visits ZSL and heard that in the park.

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was at Whipsnade today. It still seemed like 'business as usual' and far from deserted, with quite a smattering of visitors, both pedestrian and with cars. But they have cancelled all the animal talks now...

The stock they hold seems be more reduced each time I go, particularly the numbers of some of the hoofed animals eg. I counted; Blesbok/Bontebok-3. Waterbuck-6. Bongo-3 Grevy zebra-7, Yak -6,.Prezwalskii's Horse-4 (?) Wisent -3, Gemsbok-4,
    ScH Oryx-2(obviously more than that?). Only species like the Sitatunga, Barasingha and Pere David deer seem nowadays to still be maintained in herds of double figures. The Guar were confined to their yards because of the time of year. Enclosures that held the RRHogs are still empty. So was the ex Otter island. Baby Indian rhino Zhiwa is growing first, now 3 months old. The new Elephant bull I only saw in the distance rather fleetingly- the yard he was in seems to be directly behind his barn, so you cannot see him properly, but he didn't look very big yet. A big plus was seeing all four Wolverine, all of them very active too.

Will post a few photos in the gallery.

Antoine, Max Blundell, amaroc and 2 others like this.
  18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had a car called Fluffy....

19. amaroc

amaroc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's the reason I almost didn't renew my fellowship this year, whipsnade and London both seem to be going downhill fast
    I keep hoping things will improve

zoomaniac and Pertinax like this.
  20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I simpathise with this totally, I think Whipsnade sadly seems to have less animals every time I go (6-8 times a year now)! It hasn't quite reached Marwell reduction but it isn't far off! As for London, best not to start on that!!

zoomaniac and amaroc like this.