Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Panthera1981, 7 Jan 2020.

1. Bubalus

Bubalus Well-Known Member

The Gemsbok numbers will go up very slightly as I know of another UK collection going out of this species. I believe they are already onsite so most likely going through quarantine.

The Scimitar herd currently stands at 13 at the moment

StoppableSan and Pertinax like this.
  2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

We visited yesterday for what I assume will be our last zoo trip for a while. There was a good smattering of other visitors but very easy to keep up with the social distancing as everyone apart from one family had grasped the need to do this. Yesterday the animal houses / aquarium / butterfly house and small section of Basecamp restaraunt (for take out) were open but from today it will be a fully outside attraction only.

In terms of news - we've not been for a while so probably been in place a while - the elephant paddock had been sectioned off with additional fencing. It looks like the area nearest the new barn is being used and the rest being allowed to recover from all the rain. The path alongside the main paddock towards the rhinos is also fenced off. There is a load of new steel behind the bull paddock area - maybe they are looking to extend it or maybe the existing fencing just needs replaceing. No one around to ask.

Hodor (young hippo) was on excellent form - rolling around in the water and play fighting his mum. The tiger cubs were also playing with their toys in the water which was nice to see. All four wolverines out and about and the bears were also having a good time destroying some tree debris they'd been given. Interesting to see how much more enrichment is in the bear enclosure for these younger bears.

It was our first look at the aquarium - didn't linger inside too long for obvious reasons but I really liked it tbh. Only issue is the very last tank is already drained with a notice saying maintenance required. I would like them to add a good reptile / bugs discovery area type replacement to this to complete this section of the zoo.

Parting random thought... I really do hate the Lubetkin and Tecton elephant building that I believe is Grade II* listed. I will never understand the want to keep these building in place but rotting away.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have now posted a few photos in the gallery I took at Whipsnade on my visit last week before the closure. (also three from Woburn)

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Bubalus

Bubalus Well-Known Member

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

New Asian Elephant bull Ming Jung has been introduced to the herd. The introduction appears to have been very successful, as he has already been mounting the females!

Mammoth Matchmaking

Zorro, Jambo, pipaluk and 4 others like this.
  6. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

This is really great! Hopefully, it has already been successful. According to the photos, it looks like he mated with Donna.

Crowthorne likes this.
  7. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I really hope that any future calves Ming-Jung sires don't succumb to EEHV

Elephantelephant likes this.
  8. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s A problem for calves in the wild as well as captivity, but zoo are learning more about it and how to treat it. Whipsnade pulled calf Sam through it successfully, and woeburn got Tarli through it, so their is hope :)

9. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

It’s A problem for calves in the wild as well as captivity, but zoo are learning more about it and how to treat it. Whipsnade pulled calf Sam through it successfully, and woeburn got Tarli through it, so their is hope :)

Rosie183 you have made a mistake, it was actually Sam's older brother Scott who survived EEHV. Since Scott's miraculous recovery both Chester Zoo and Woburn Safari Park have managed to successfully assist Tarli and Indali Hi-Way to survive EEHV respectively.

As well as both of these English Asian successful completely recovering from EEHV Zinda one of the Elephant calves at Dublin Zoo in Ireland has also successfully beat the killer virus that kills so many Elephant calves.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2020
    Zorro, Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  10. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I knew whipsnade had one elephant who survived EEHV and that it wasn’t made public how it happened x

11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This is both a rather lovely video on its own terms and also contains what I believe is a little bit of new news - there is now a Panther Chamaeleon within the Madagascar display in the Aquarium.

Journey through our Butterfly House and Aquarium

Brum, Jambo, Jennings and 5 others like this.
  12. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. Crowthorne

Jambo, Mr. Zootycoon, 14556 and 3 others like this.
  14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Demonstrates the very tight seasonal window for deer births. Pere David rut a month or two earlier(July/August) than our native deer so fawns are born correspondingly earlier. I imagine Woburn will have had something like 200+ born this month!

15. Crowthorne

ZSL have sent an email to all members outlining their reopening plans (NB. Posted to London and Whipsnade threads)

Jedd Cullinan likes this.
  16. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That is brilliant and if I am wrong or right it looked as if they have talked to the Government

17. zoomart

zoomart Member

Visited ZSL Whipsnade zoo today. The social distancing measures were enforced really well and there were clear one way systems for viewing the lions, butterfly house/aquarium and cheetah among others. Volunteers were very friendly as always and did a great job to make sure everyone complied with the guidelines.

Lots of handwashing/hand sanitising opportunities throughout the park and clear distance markers in queues for coffee/ice cream etc.

A really pleasant experience, they definitely have the space to make distancing relatively easy. Although, I had naively assumed that about Cotswold WP and this was not the case. Great job ZSL!

18. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Going tomorrow so will look forward to it! If anyone wants any specific info please ask now and I will look for you

zoomart likes this.
  19. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

(Jokingly) Ask them if they would kindly send some small antelope and deer herds to Paignton on loan! Any species will do....

20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whipsnade doesn't have that many to spare these days sadly!!