Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo ZSL Whipsnade Zoo 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 13 Jan 2021.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Why would they not be hardy enough ?

2. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can't think where they will go, surely no ready made enclosure waiting for them?

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only possibility I can think of is building a house and bridge onto the Squirrel monkey island. I really hope they aren't thinking of the Chimp or Sloth Bear enclosures, they aren't a big enough animal and will be too far from the visitors. I really hope nothing will leave, but don't see where the money will come from for a new enclosure, so this may not be good news at all!!
    Sea Lion exhibit?

4. pipaluk

Possibly the Francois Langurs?

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I call it constructive critisism rather than bashing, but anyway- to return to the Blackbuck as an example of what appears to be inertia on WHipsnade's part- a year or so ago they sent a Swamp Deer male to Knowsley- who happen to hold one of the few breeding herds of blackbuck still in the UK- it has at least a dozen males so could easily spare one- but Whips...
    Whipsnade is on a chalk escarpment of the Chiltern hills. It can get very cold up there. However the dip slope of the escarpment is flatter and less exposed. But its never as warm as e.g. the city 'microclimate' of London zoo.

6. Pertinax

..nade did not take advantage of the 'exchange' opportunity to procur one.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2021
  7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I agree, I would call it less "bashing" and more constructive criticism too.

Strange that obtaining more blackbuck didn't cross their mind during that exchange.

I don't know why it would matter with the macaques as they are kept by zoos all over Central Europe and that have far harsher climates during the winter months and in any case they will have access to heated indoor quarters.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

They moved fairly recently to Whipsnade didn't they ?

Seems a bit musical chairs to keep shifting them around.

Wouldn't it be better to keep the langurs at Whipsnade and obtain another African primate species for that enclosure in order to keep with the Central African theme ?

Perhaps cherry capped mangabeys or Roloway monkeys ?

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Well, they originally moved when the lion exhibit complex was being built, along with several other species (including the two batchelor gibbons) - they merely didn't return after construction was complete.

So it's less musical chairs than those species went through, timespan-wise :p

10. Pertinax

They already have two very closely related examples at London Zoo- a good reproductive group of White-naped Mangabey- and a pair of non-breeding Dianas- again the latter without trying to rectify that situation with exchanges. I think the Francois Langurs would simply be better off being integrated into groups in other zoos perhaps. They don't really fit any bill at ZSL.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I know, I enjoyed watching both of these species when I visited London a couple of times in 2019 but they could quite easily go into keeping more mangabey and guenon species , couldn't they ?

12. Pertinax

No! No room... plus they would never double up with very similar species, it just wouldn't happen...no mileage exhibit-wise.

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Quite a shame in my opinion, the francois langurs really don't go with the Central African theme and I would imagine that they have it far better at Whipsnade.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. pipaluk

Nor did the Sulawesi macaques, once they were moved there in place of the Colobus, again due to the building of the new Lion exhibit!

15. Pertinax

From what I read on here they are being held offshow- not the best option. just a holding facility. Get rid of them if they don't want to build an enclosure for them. Seems they just juggle these species around with no real plan.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

So why not just move them to Whipsnade and get an African primate species into the eventually empty enclosure that goes with the theme ?

Dublin keeps both cherry crowned and white collared mangabeys (yes I know they have these on islands but still).

Twycross and the Aspinall parks have both Diana and De Brazza's guenons.

What about L'Hoest's monkeys or Hamlyn's owl faced monkeys ?

Yes, absolutely agree, they should send them to a zoo which will both exhibit them and value them too.

I don't think there is a plan either, it all seems to be sleepwalking.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a book about London zoo and Whipsnade zoo with one photo of the Tommie herd in the past, it had many animals in that herd at that time!

18. Pertinax

There's a good postcard of that herd too.

Zorro likes this.
  19. Pertinax

trachycarpus likes this.
  20. Pertinax

London did have Owl-faced monkeys in the 1990's- at that time the Sobell pavilions exhibited a much more comprehensive display from all the main Primate groups- macaque, guenon, baboon etc. in about eight to a dozen enclosures in seperate 'blocks'. Sadly the building of Gorilla Kingdom reduced the available monkey enclosures to around four, so they are compromised for space now. Apart from the modernised(outside) Mangabey area, the other enclosures are now very dated. Its not a very good situation overall. But I don't think one can expect any more exhibits, given the general stagnation there.