Join our zoo community

Zürich Zoo Zurich Zoo News

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by kiang, 24 Jul 2009.

1. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks, but I think the orangutans can stay where they are now, with the future Hall orangutans, I do not think there is room for gold in the gorilla pavilion and pygmy hippos. Also because orangutans are asia. Maybe australia arrive where I am now gorillas, orangutans, and gibbons, could enter red kangaroos, wombats, Tasmanian devils and so on. But certainly for various reasons can not do it.

2. antonmuster

antonmuster Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to the linked masterplan the orang utans will stay where they are now. The rest of your post - I fear - is lost in (google) translation.

3. leone

I mean orangutans do not think that will inhabit the new house with the gorillas, because they are Asian, but who knows if australia espandesse where they live now gorillas and orangutans. But it would be difficult.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gorilla are moving to the extension area next to the elephants and future African savannah, so there are only Orang Utan and gibbon left in the Ape house then. The Australian area does not extend that far.

5. leone

I know, but if they were as lipsia, then Australia would have more space with more marsupials.

6. antonmuster

well... if we're entertaining pipe-dreams...
    I would love to see the orangs moved to an additional rainforest hall in the area behind the elephant park (see attachment) on a Sumatran/Bornean theme. The hall would be similar in concept as Masoala, but with sufficient height to eventually let an emergent tree layer develop (i.e. 60+m, rather than the 30m of Masoala). The surrounding forest might even serve as an additional outdoor enclosure for the orangs in summer.

The current ape-house could then indeed be used for an extension of the planned Australia section of the zoo.

Of course, the obstacles to such an endeavor are countless - not least of which the fact that said area isn't zoo property in the first place.

Imho it will be very difficult for the zoo to develop an enclosure for the orangs in the rather limited space of the current ape-house (3'500 sqm, give or take), that would live up to the (very) high expectations the zoo has fostered through its past developments. I agree that an extension focusing on Australian herpetofauna and smaller marsupials and monotremes would be a great alternative for that area.

Attached Files:

7. leone

True? but as the door in the master plan, there will be only them orangutans,

8. leone

:)But these maps where you find them? I'd like to see other massively images, please. If it were true that orangutans could have that space would be great, you immaggini a forest like the aquariums with mangroves, proboscis monkeys, if I was the manager I would do the Borneo and Sulawesi, or the whole of Indonesia.ahahahahahah

9. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As someone who is in touch for a long time with Zoo Zurich I must say that there is a lot (not to say: to much) of speculations in your posts. Wouldn't it be better to put those in a separate (new) thread?
    Keep also in mind, that drawings (and realizations) have changed a lot since the first Masterplan for Zoo Zurich came out in the early 90s. E.g. the new Elephant house is located now where once a house for Gorillas was planed.

10. antonmuster

I would contact the zoo directly: Nachtwandeln im | Zoo Zürich -> Kontakt. I am sure their costumer service speaks English.

11. antonmuster

If you scroll down on the vetschpartner webpage on the masterplan there is a link "Plan" which will display an updated version of the masterplan. That's the masterplan I thought I had linked to - however, since it is an overlay I copied the wrong link to the overview with the original masterplan from the 90s. This is the direct link to the updated masterplan which must be from ~2014.

12. leone

Hello, news aquariums ? and the penguins? How are habitat ?

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Any chance of you trying to explain what you mean,as this makes bugger all sense to me and I am guessing 99% of the other users on this site.I know that english might not be your first language but even something written in your native language and then convert in to google translate would make more sense than this!

14. leone

news on the construction of exotarium aquariums? and what will be the habitat for each aquarium?

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Right now that makes sense but sorry I cannot help,as I have found in the past that plans for Aquarium exhibits have a habit of changing very fast!

16. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Speaking of writing correct English...

17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ouch... burned... ;)

Although 'bugger all' is fine. :D

18. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

In order to best communicate with someone for whom English is not their primary language, it is best to avoid regional colloquialisms whenever possible. Their use can make matters very confusing.

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't disagree (I deal with this at work as a regular occurrence) - I just like the evocative phrase. :p

20. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'll have to avoid using regional colloquialisms when speaking to Thylo and other American zoochatters then :p